Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #21
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was a loyal National Geographic subscriber, until they sold a controlling interest in the magazine to News Corp (technically 21st Century Fox) about five years ago. I let my membership lapse and haven't picked it up ever since.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #22
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I was a loyal National Geographic subscriber, until they sold a controlling interest in the magazine to News Corp (technically 21st Century Fox) about five years ago. I let my membership lapse and haven't picked it up ever since.

That was about the same time I started my subscription. And honestly (surprisingly, too), you'd never know the ownership by reading it - articles about climate change are in full-on crisis mode, human rights are front and centre, and they even took regular subtle shots at the Trump administration!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:52 PM   #23
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was also a "Bike" subscriber - RIP. Unfortunately the internet has killed print media because I vastly prefer the tactile experience of reading an actual book or magazine to just staring at my phone all the time. I suppose from an environmental standpoint it makes sense to use less paper, but I do miss the good publications. I still subscribe to Freehub and I'll buy a magazine off the news stand every now and then when I want some light reading - usually when I'm travelling.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:14 PM   #24
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Physical Magazines and Newspapers in general are going to continue to go the way of the dinosaurs, the entire publishing industry as well as the printing, logistics, retail segment that distributed them have been spiraling for years.

Normally I would say this is a good thing as the internet is far more expansive and instantaneous. By the time physical print comes out, it's already yesterday's news. I've been watching old videos about the industry and marvelled that for a time, there were morning, noon, and evening papers and journalists used to start their shifts at 3AM just to get certain editions out to print in time.

The biggest issue with the internet is that there are no-longer any restrictions, no editors, no professional journalists writing articles and responsibly reporting the news. Millions of people wake up every day to coffee and conspiracy theories on Facebook and fully believe in this stuff which is destroying our neighbor to the south.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-10-2021 at 11:19 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #25
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
That was about the same time I started my subscription. And honestly (surprisingly, too), you'd never know the ownership by reading it - articles about climate change are in full-on crisis mode, human rights are front and centre, and they even took regular subtle shots at the Trump administration!
I still just could not reconcile spending money on something that would help to line Rupert Murdoch's pockets. Just couldn't do it.

Now that the property is owned by Disney I've thought about renewing, but I'm not sure that's much better...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote