Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Michael Ferland

After going pointless in his first 11 games, Ferland looks like he's on a tear in the past 10 games with 14 pts. I had high hopes for him this year and his slide in the beginning of the season made me think he was about to repeat last years performance in Abbotsford.

Has anyone watched him play? Is he playing as well as his recent stat lines would indicate?

If he keeps up play like this I wouldn't mind seeing him up get a game or two with the Flames, I feel like his game could translate well to the NHL if he can stay consistent and the Flames could use a guy with grit AND skill.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the game threads he has been a beast. Fighting, checking, scoring. Everything.

I'd like him to stay down in Abby all year, just be full of confidence and then next year grab a spot up with the big club. I think he can be a top 6 forward, skates really well for a guy his size too. Could be a diamond
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland is the type of player the Flames desperately need to develop into a good NHL player. A physical guy with skill (similar to Lucic).

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had a man crush on this kid since his 96 point year for the Wheatkings.

He started hockey late, so he's still developing. He has the tools to be a monster power forward for the Flames.

After last year, and his tumultuous year, I have been so pleased to see him focus his energy on improving. Nice to see him with success.

I love Monohan and Baertschi, but as 1st rounders they are almost expected to be successful. A 5th rounder emerging and becoming a full time player in the NHL would be really exciting.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be interesting to see Baertschi down with the Heat so that he could play with Ferland and see if they can develop some chemistry.

Baertschi - Granlund - Ferland would be an awesome line, IMO
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
From the game threads he has been a beast. Fighting, checking, scoring. Everything.

I'd like him to stay down in Abby all year, just be full of confidence and then next year grab a spot up with the big club. I think he can be a top 6 forward, skates really well for a guy his size too. Could be a diamond
Honestly, I agree would be good to have him stay in the AHL, but giving him a handful of games to help motivate him down the stretch for the off season could only be a good thing. Give us a chance to see how well he can translate to the NHL and give him a chance to see what it takes to play there.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGrimm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think everything you need to know about Ferland is how he's responded to ALL that adversity last season.

- Bad eating and sleeping habits resulted in coming to camp out of shape.
- Sent down to Utah.
- Sent down to Brandon
- Took turns in the press box with other vets on Brandon.
- Traded to Saskatoon where he had to re-adjust to new teammates.
- Didn't have a great showing (individually or as a team) at the Memorial Cup.
- The whole assault charge thing.

He took all that and instead of quitting like *cough* Ryan Howse, he battled back and is now a go-to guy on the Heat.

Like I've said in the other thread, it's like watching a completely different person on and off the ice. He's goofing around, he's having fun, he's enjoying himself, his teammates and the coaching/training/equipment staff. But he's also taking his job seriously.

Last season he was wide eyed. He didn't know how to be a pro. Simple as that.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't updated my prospect rankings since the off season. But if they keep playing like this I expect Jankowski to see the biggest drop and Ferland to see the biggest jump. Good on him.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope Ferland turns into a diamond in the rough for us. Flames desperately need that power forward type play who can put the puck in the net ala Lucic.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was talking to Ward this morning and he says Ferland doesn't realize his true potential or his importance to the organization. He said once Ferland realizes it, he's going to be a player.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I really hope Ferland turns into a diamond in the rough for us. Flames desperately need that power forward type play who can put the puck in the net ala Lucic.
I was thinking more of another Bruin...Cam Neely.

BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heck, I would love if Ferland develops into a CONTROLLABLE version of Chris Simon in his prime. Scary dude who can pot in 30 goals?

There is no other prospect in the entire system that compares to him. I would say (without looking too hard) that there are few prospects like him anywhere. There are some guys that are tough and can pot it in the net, but Ferland is VERY tough, and he has VERY good scoring hands. Last guy really was Lucic. There must be a few more that I just can't think of.

And no, please don't say Kassian. Zach Kassian is going to wish he was Michael Ferland. Ferland has high-hockey IQ, and it is very evident that Kassian does not. I absolutely hate that comparison Feaster threw out there.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I was talking to Ward this morning and he says Ferland doesn't realize his true potential or his importance to the organization. He said once Ferland realizes it, he's going to be a player.
So long as Burke is at the helm, we've got a big role waiting for Ferland.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would be cool if Bouma would take Ferland and go train with Lucic in the off season. Learn something from Looch.
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
This is beyond exciting. Ward has made a few predictions about nhl success before - Bouma comes to mind immediately.

Ward is validating what many of us were hoping about Ferland and his last 10 games have helped too.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
This is beyond exciting. Ward has made a few predictions about nhl success before - Bouma comes to mind immediately.

Ward is validating what many of us were hoping about Ferland and his last 10 games have helped too.
He also said Howse would be an NHL player at some point He seems to have a thing for his reclamation projects.

But I agree that Ferland is looking good and the coaches faith is encouraging.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #17
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
He also said Howse would be an NHL player at some point
Source? Don't recall ever hearing that.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
I haven't updated my prospect rankings since the off season. But if they keep playing like this I expect Jankowski to see the biggest drop and Ferland to see the biggest jump. Good on him.
I bet Jankowski is just broken up to hear that and Ferland is looking for houses in Calgary.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #19
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hugely excited about this young man's point production of late.

It's great to see him finally start to see the kind of ceiling he has. He could very well be a darkhorse in this franchise's turnaround
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I posted this in the other thread but it is relevant here:

Quote:
Really cool story Vulcan thanks for that.

I would be interested to see where Ferlands skating is at now, because last year in Saskatoon it was just simply not good. I know a few of the people on the Blades training staff and they told me that they had never seen a player more determined to improve than Ferland. After his slow start this year I was pretty worried, but it seems like he has turned it around with that hot play on Jones' line.

I really doubt that his foot speed will ever be good enough for top 6 minutes in the NHL though. At least not on a playoff caliber team. Either way from my interactions with this kid he has a great head on his shoulders and is very humble, while aware of his gifts (size, grit, toughness). If he keeps using them right you never know.
I could see him being a great 3rd line banger, possibly good on the PP to create havoc in front of the net.

Tags
abbotsford , flames prospects , michael ferland