Old 11-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Thumbs up Markus Granlund

Think the guy deserves his own thread:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=690886

Quote:
After an injury held Granlund out of the lineup for a handful of games to start the season, he's put up eight points in his first 12 professional games, including six in his last seven. In case that's not impressive enough for the young pro, he's collected two shootout markers, both of which were game winners and leads the American league in that category.

"He's extremely gifted offensively," said Knight. "He can make a lot of plays out of nothing. He kind of has that knack around the net, so he's a pretty special player offensively. He's fun to watch out there."
However impressive Granlund has looked so far, head coach Troy G. Ward still thinks there's more to his abilities - it's just a matter of getting him the ice time.

"I need to find him more ice to be quite honest with you. I've got to find him more ice. He's a really good player. He has a great feel for the game offensively. He's learning the game defensively after coming over from Europe. He's learning to play on a smaller rink. There's not as much time and space out there, but he has a great great feel for the game. He has a feel for his teammates. He's more competitive than people realize.

"So I'm the one that's the issue there. I think he's playing well. I think he can play better, but that's on me. I've got to put him with the right people and I've got to find him more ice time. But I'm really proud of him."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

High praise for a guy who is entering his first pro season in NA. I think another reason for dealing Horak was to find guys like Granlund and Ferland more ice time.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take it Granlund is playing centre? I hope his offence continues as we could use a big point getter with the Flames.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really wonderful to see him doing well. There aren't many prospects in the Flames' system that has his offensive gifts - can probably count them on one hand. Hopefully some team out there is going to want to make a move now so the Flames can bring up a guy or two and make some room to get Granlund those minutes.

What surprises me the most thus far isn't that Granlund is doing this well offensively (thought he COULD do it, but definitely wasn't sure it was going to happen), it is the fact that he is still playing center. I thought for sure the Flames would have moved him to the wing. Really great to watch this kid develop.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Perhaps a little unfair to compare him to his blue chip brother, but thought it was interesting.

Mikael had 14 pts in his first 12 AHL games compared to Markus' 9. Not trying to put anything against Markus, just thought it was interesting how quickly both brothers adapted to the NA game.

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-11-2013 at 08:35 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine at some point this season he may suit up for the Flames.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Kinda just knew this was going to happen.

Good for him. Hopefully he can come to bring what Horak did plus the extra offensive talent. I think he'll be a winger if he makes it to the NHL though. But I'm a big fan, so this is good to see. Those shootout skills are showing too. Conroy did open admit that he considered Granlund the best SO guy in the entire organization.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I took a wait and see approach with Granlund but he's really just kept improving and improving and looking more impressive each year. He's really in the mix now.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah me too.

He has already risen further than I would have guessed, putting up decent points in the A.

It is now realistic to imagine him making the team. I think his progress is a significant factor in making Horak expendable.

They were both competing for similar roles - 2nd/3rd line C or wing. Neither has much of a physical presence, and both are smart, positional, 2-way players.

Granlund has more offensive upside though.

It would be awesome if he can step up to the next level - he's already got the shot, the hockey sense and the shoot-out skills.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the mid way point in the season, I would like to see how Granlund will adjust to the NHL level, speed wise. After a while in the AHL, there won't be anything else to learn there so he'll need to be eased into an NHL lineup even on a temporary basis in order to hopefully take another step or two on the road to possibly becoming a solid top 9 forward for us.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This time last year I really didn't think he'd translate well to the pro game/rink. Happy to be eating crow so far on this one.

Edit: Haha, stupid Erixon.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Really impressed with the way Ward has handled such a young team this year.. good on Granlund for answering the call as well.

Exciting time for Flames fans watching all these young guys grow.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #13
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Really wonderful to see him doing well. There aren't many prospects in the Flames' system that has his offensive gifts - can probably count them on one hand. Hopefully some team out there is going to want to make a move now so the Flames can bring up a guy or two and make some room to get Granlund those minutes.

What surprises me the most thus far isn't that Granlund is doing this well offensively (thought he COULD do it, but definitely wasn't sure it was going to happen), it is the fact that he is still playing center. I thought for sure the Flames would have moved him to the wing. Really great to watch this kid develop.
I think he just plays better in center. That's one thing that has given me pause because I'm not sure he can play the position in the NHL.

But if his brother can, Markus should be able to as well. If he could improve his skating and conditioning as much as his brother did this past off season, he could be contributing in the lineup next season. I know they do some of their workouts together, so that will help a lot.

Then there's also the question of whether there's a center spot available for him at all. On wing, I can see him being similar to Stempniak. Maybe poor man's Cammalleri with the one-timer.

Picture from last summer, featuring Sideshow Bob:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Henry Fool; 11-25-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post: