Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2023, 09:51 AM   #1
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Christofascists seeking to seize our country

Quote:
Trinity Bible is one of the most prominent churches in a fundamentalist Christian movement that has gained momentum in Canada, initially by challenging pandemic public health restrictions.

This movement is now increasingly involved in electoral politics, advocating for conservative social and political policies based on literal interpretations of the Bible.

Liberty Coalition Canada, a conservative Christian advocacy group, is trying to raise $1.3 million to recruit hundreds of Christian politicians and campaign staff to run at all levels of government.

In a document marked "please keep classified" that was obtained by CBC News, the group says its ultimate goal is "the most powerful political disruption in Canadian history."
Quote:
"Over the next few years, I want to systematically manufacture 10,000 new Christian political candidates across Canada," says the document, which was written by Michael Clark, director of advocacy for the Liberty Coalition.

Clark also writes that he wants to align Canada's laws with "biblical principles."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates...793677?cmp=rss

Make no mistake, this is a real threat to our society and way of life. What can you do about it? Shine light on it. Stop attending churches that proliferate these ideals. Stop voting for political parties that allow them to have power(yes, that means the UCP and CPC). You can follow your rules in your own little club, they are not to be foisted upon a free society.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1545874425505013760
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 09:55 AM   #2
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Take Back Canada, I see.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:56 AM   #3
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

saw the thread title... thought me and a bunch of fascists were taking over

my first order of business... remove all things 'oilers' from the country
Old 06-05-2023, 10:00 AM   #4
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Is this something new? Hasn't the religious right always been heavily involved in politics and made every effort to have their guys in power.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 10:10 AM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Is this something new? Hasn't the religious right always been heavily involved in politics and made every effort to have their guys in power.
They are getting more motivated and organized. They already have a giant success story in Alberta. That's a huge boost, and is in danger of expanding. Ignore this at our peril. Unless you want to be like Gilead, err, the US.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:34 AM   #6
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dont be such a conspiracy theorist Fuzz. its fine.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:40 AM   #7
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
Dont be such a conspiracy theorist Fuzz. its fine.
Firstly, it's not a conspiracy. It's an organized group with clearly stated intentions.

Secondly, would you be 'fine' with it, if instead of fundamentalist Christians, it was fundamentalist Muslims?
Old 06-05-2023, 10:44 AM   #8
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With corporate interests and military intelligence working around the clock, they're going to find it's a pretty crowded space.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:44 AM   #9
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeebus, that thread title reads like something written by a first year college student.

Special interest groups looking to influence politics to be more in line with their special interests? Well I never. I'm sure they'll go far with that whopping $1.3M...that they haven't even raised yet.

Last edited by Table 5; 06-05-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:53 AM   #10
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean the extreme left is doing the same thing to push their narrative, no real surprise the right has seen the success (Soros, etc) and wants to emulate it. Seeing it as a threat to free society depends on your views. I'd argue the right sees the "crazy left" as just as much of a threat to society as the left does this.

In reality, the only true threat to society is the tribalization of politics & its creep into daily life. Hyperbolic posts like this demonizing certain political views only exacerbates the political divide & warmongering that is hurting society.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 10:59 AM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I mean the extreme left is doing the same thing to push their narrative, no real surprise the right has seen the success (Soros, etc) and wants to emulate it. Seeing it as a threat to free society depends on your views. I'd argue the right sees the "crazy left" as just as much of a threat to society as the left does this.

In reality, the only true threat to society is the tribalization of politics & its creep into daily life. Hyperbolic posts like this demonizing certain political views only exacerbates the political divide & warmongering that is hurting society.
What's theHyperbolic part? Are they not Christofacists? Are they not already achieving some of their goals? Like, you need look no further than the US over the past few years, where Chistofacists are imposing heir will all over the place through the means described in this article. Should we just wait until they've removed all of our rights before it is an issue?

Also, the "both sides" argument of this is ####ing ridiculous and you should feel ashamed for even mentioning it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 11:00 AM   #12
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree that extreme left ideologies are threatening some folks lively hoods, but that is still a degree lower than evangelicals threatening the personal safety of LGBTQ folks. While it feels like ancient history, it was only 53 years ago that forced sterilization was targeting the queer community.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #13
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Stop attending churches
truncated.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #14
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:05 AM   #15
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

More like a push back to normal from all the woke crazies the last decade
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 11:08 AM   #16
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
I am really keen to hear your definition of normal.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:12 AM   #17
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
They are getting more motivated and organized. They already have a giant success story in Alberta. That's a huge boost, and is in danger of expanding. Ignore this at our peril. Unless you want to be like Gilead, err, the US.
I dunno. Are you forgetting about how Stockwelll Day and Stephen Harper got into a beef, because day was too religious.

Harper was an evangelist who wanted to re-open the same-sex marriage debate...and he was considered the moderate option. Meanwhile Day wanted to ban teaching evolution in the classroom.

The religious right promoting religious candidates seems pretty par for the course.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Firstly, it's not a conspiracy. It's an organized group with clearly stated intentions.

Secondly, would you be 'fine' with it, if instead of fundamentalist Christians, it was fundamentalist Muslims?
"Conspiracy" literally means a group of people acting in harmony towards a common end. So it is a conspiracy. Is it just a "theory" though. No. As others have stated, special interest groups pushing agendas is totally common place in politics. It's a conspiracy that most certainly is happening.

I don't think anyone here is "fine" with what's going on, just acknowledging that it isn't something new.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 11:16 AM   #19
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are they not Christofacists?
I mean, that's not a real word, so at minimum I think it would need a definition. Dictionary definition of fascists is:

"A fascist is someone who supports or promotes fascism—a system of government led by a dictator who typically rules by forcefully and often violently suppressing opposition and criticism, controlling all industry and commerce, and promoting nationalism and often racism."

The group you're referring to is trying to raise money to support/run candidates in elections and plans to use those candidates to promote their views on a variety of issues. That's literally the same as every political party/political group ever.

Are you suggesting they're planning to subvert democracy and install a dictatorship? Control all industry and commerce? Violently suppress opposition? None of those things are supported by the article/the groups internal documents obtained by CBC.

Because basically it sounds like there's a group of people whose ideas you disagree with who are planning to run candidates in elections that you've decided to label fascists.

Last edited by bizaro86; 06-05-2023 at 11:18 AM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 11:16 AM   #20
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
Define "woke".
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post: