Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2023, 02:34 AM   #41
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought we already had a franchise tag that teams use to go over the cap, its LTIR (cough Vegas, cough No Goods)
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 07:01 AM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
The last thing I want to see is the NHL punishing teams in favorable tax locations and rewarding teams in unfavorable tax locations. Why? What did the Seattle Kraken do to lobby the state of Washington to have no income tax?

Are they going to factor in property tax and sales tax, too? After all, the players need to live somewhere and buy stuff.
How is it a “punishment” to level a playing field to account for factors that have nothing to do with the team, if you can do it. Why punish a team for a government decision?

And the difference between income tax and property/sales tax when considering the amount players get in their paycheque is fairly obvious. I guarantee you that players think about income tax a lot more than any other tax when they consider offers. They ask about their take home pay.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:29 AM   #43
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know how you could possibly coordinate some sort of tax Re-balancer, but seems like things getting a little too far up it’s own ass in regards to the cap.

Cap structure is fine as is IMO. GMs hang themselves and then want changes to prevent it. Or just make better decisions.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:25 AM   #44
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think it's the young UFA age that teams had to give back and teams not really adjusting to it that's causing teams like the Flames to cram the proverbial broomstick up their own backside. Time to adjust is now and not give expensive third contracts to Hanifin and Lindholm with Kadri, Huberdeau, and Weegar already on the books. Until those three deals expire you can't have anymore of those on the roster.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:27 PM   #45
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

The cap works fine. GMs have yet to adapt. It's all good to pay those leadership guys lots of money when the rest of your team is cheap, but as you get better, those guys get better and you have to pay more, and you're still paying bottom six/pairing guys too much money.

Carolina isn't perfect, but they're pretty ruthless in cutting guys who they don't want to pay more than they feel their worth. Nedeljkovic and DeAngelo being two recent examples, and they were proven right.

Teams need to stop paying money for those lower lineup guys. You may like them, but they tend to be replaceable, or they have one really good season that you end up overpaying for.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 06:38 PM   #46
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The idea of an exemption for a franchise player is completely counter-productive to the goal of parity. Your franchise is fortunate enough to get a great player, and then you're allowed to have that player not count against the cap? Ridiculous.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 06:53 PM   #47
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
How is it a “punishment” to level a playing field to account for factors that have nothing to do with the team, if you can do it. Why punish a team for a government decision?

And the difference between income tax and property/sales tax when considering the amount players get in their paycheque is fairly obvious. I guarantee you that players think about income tax a lot more than any other tax when they consider offers. They ask about their take home pay.
You kind of answered the question yourself.

A team in Washington or Texas doesn't have anything to do with how their state legislature decides to raise money. I live in California, it's expensive. Does someone else owe me something to level the playing field?

This kind of thing impacts people like Matthews and McDavid way more than the median NHL player, since the marginal tax rate only applies to the highest portion of incomes. I don't think someone like Nikolai Knyzhov, Sam Lafferty, Blake Lizotte, or whoever would really care. Lots of members of the NHLPA wash out during ELC/RFA years.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:20 PM   #48
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Now if you could do like the NFL and place a franchise tag on a pending UFA to try and keep that player an extra year. That could be interesting. Had the Flames been able to Franchise tag Gaudreau...who knows what happens with the franchise. Something like that would help a team like Calgary keep guys.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:25 AM   #49
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Imagine having 2 superstars and one leaves because you can only pay one a huge amount, then your 2nd best player just leaves to sign with Columbus or some #### because of it.

Terrible idea on many fronts.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:35 AM   #50
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
The cap works fine. GMs have yet to adapt. It's all good to pay those leadership guys lots of money when the rest of your team is cheap, but as you get better, those guys get better and you have to pay more, and you're still paying bottom six/pairing guys too much money.

Carolina isn't perfect, but they're pretty ruthless in cutting guys who they don't want to pay more than they feel their worth. Nedeljkovic and DeAngelo being two recent examples, and they were proven right.
You can see this by looking at their capfriendly page.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/hurricanes

Four forwards signed to big deals, several young guys on entry-level contracts, and the rest are pending UFAs. CAR clearly has 8 or 9 players who they consider their core, and they cycle through the depth guys - including goalies. This gives them flexibility in the off-season to make necessary changes; they’re one of the few playoff teams who have the cap to bring in a guy like Lindholm this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Teams need to stop paying money for those lower lineup guys. You may like them, but they tend to be replaceable, or they have one really good season that you end up overpaying for.
Some pundits have suggested the NHL will go the way of the NBA, with teams paying a handful of stars big money and rest of the roster getting peanuts - no middle ground. We haven’t seen it yet, because a lot of GMs cut their teeth in the NHL of 15-20 year ago. But if a team has success with that model, it could become the norm.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:33 AM   #51
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

Some pundits have suggested the NHL will go the way of the NBA, with teams paying a handful of stars big money and rest of the roster getting peanuts - no middle ground. We haven’t seen it yet, because a lot of GMs cut their teeth in the NHL of 15-20 year ago. But if a team has success with that model, it could become the norm.
Doubt we'll see it, and doubt it'll be successful if we do. Basketball is largely about your top 3 guys, but hockey teams require a lot more depth in order to make a deep playoff run.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:38 AM   #52
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
YSome pundits have suggested the NHL will go the way of the NBA, with teams paying a handful of stars big money and rest of the roster getting peanuts - no middle ground.
Link to these pundits and thoughts? I'd like to read their justification. Basketball is pretty much a 6-7 man game and those guys drive your franchise. Hockey is not like that at all. No one is going to win with a 6-7 man team, not in a league where attrition plays such a huge role in team success. You need 23 guys in hockey to survive a season and more to win the cup. The more top performers you have versus the other team, the better your chances.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:43 AM   #53
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This will be the Oilers next year. Except the success part.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2023, 09:47 AM   #54
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m torn.

In theory, I like the idea but my concern is that it could lead to further inflation of player salaries relative to the cap. I worry that there might be some borderline (good but not exceptional) guys that the teams really don’t want to lose who fit the key criteria to get this designation, and as a result, they overpay using the exemption knowing it doesn’t hit the cap number…and that becomes a benchmark to further drive up salaries across the board.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:54 AM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It literally solves nothing. It doesn't change the amount of money teams have for salaries, it merely gives more of it to the top players. And it tilts the playing field. There is no upside, unless you have one of the top few players in the league on your team.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:17 AM   #56
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Every time I see this thread I read it as "Thoughts on having a" Francis" tag"
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 10:27 AM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
You kind of answered the question yourself.

A team in Washington or Texas doesn't have anything to do with how their state legislature decides to raise money. I live in California, it's expensive. Does someone else owe me something to level the playing field?

This kind of thing impacts people like Matthews and McDavid way more than the median NHL player, since the marginal tax rate only applies to the highest portion of incomes. I don't think someone like Nikolai Knyzhov, Sam Lafferty, Blake Lizotte, or whoever would really care. Lots of members of the NHLPA wash out during ELC/RFA years.
No I answered the opposite. The cap shouldn't be dependent on government decisions - each team should have the same financial ability to sign players. And tax adjustment is one of the easiest fixes possible (and no team possibly has a valid complaint).
Old 05-29-2023, 12:33 PM   #58
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Doubt we'll see it, and doubt it'll be successful if we do. Basketball is largely about your top 3 guys, but hockey teams require a lot more depth in order to make a deep playoff run.
The idea isn’t that NHL teams will have a ‘big three.’ More like they’ll have 8-9 players who get a lot of money, and 10-12 who get little.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 01:32 PM   #59
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No I answered the opposite. The cap shouldn't be dependent on government decisions - each team should have the same financial ability to sign players. And tax adjustment is one of the easiest fixes possible (and no team possibly has a valid complaint).
The cap already isn't dependent on government decisions. I'm not sure how you'd calculate the punishments and rewards, given that teams can have vastly different player salary structures (stars and scrubs vs. spread out like the Kraken, floor team or cap team), and individuals can be single or married, have kids or not, have various types of tax deductions that they're either entitled to or not.

It's not like players don't already love going to Los Angeles, New York, Toronto, etc. Now teams like that should get more money to spend at the expense of Seattle, Nashville, or Dallas?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2023, 01:39 PM   #60
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think its obvious but the idea is to:

1. Try to make Canadian teams more attractive to star players.
2. Keep home grown talent from leaving to other teams.

Sounds good in theory but the difficulty lies in execution - who, when, for how long etc.?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote