Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2023, 10:45 PM   #1
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The ongoing North Korea thread.

I think with things ramping up from North Korea it's time for a dedicated thread. What is everyone's thoughts here? Are the sabre rattling or could this get pretty damn ugly soon?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nuclear-attack
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 12:04 AM   #2
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a thread not long ago, but I feel pretty soon one of their cute missile tests is going to go awry and actually hit land one day and you’ll see a very swift end to the Kim family.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 12:09 AM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
There was a thread not long ago, but I feel pretty soon one of their cute missile tests is going to go awry and actually hit land one day and you’ll see a very swift end to the Kim family.
My question is if that happens who does it? If the US, South Korea, and Japan go in that steps on China's toes and that could get ugly. Also, how bad will Seoul be after? NK has a lot of fire power aimed there. I wonder if they mess up if it will be China that takes over NK. It just seems like a very volatile situation in the making. As much as the Ukraine/Russia thing is on the forefront I think the situation with NK is what could set off another world war.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:03 AM   #4
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 07:07 AM   #5
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Originally Posted by Wormius
Quote:
This is the thread.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=163953&highlight=north+Korea

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 02-25-2023 at 07:10 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2023, 06:10 PM   #6
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
My question is if that happens who does it? If the US, South Korea, and Japan go in that steps on China's toes and that could get ugly. Also, how bad will Seoul be after? NK has a lot of fire power aimed there. I wonder if they mess up if it will be China that takes over NK. It just seems like a very volatile situation in the making. As much as the Ukraine/Russia thing is on the forefront I think the situation with NK is what could set off another world war.
I would assume the promise of a much better life would hopefully be enough to get anybody's who's job is obliterate SK in the event of the Kims being assassinated to reconsider.

I could see China taking over, though that seems not in the best interest of SK at all.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2023, 06:23 PM   #7
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think with things ramping up from North Korea [...]
Things are ramping up...? You had me fooled, because sure seems like the same old #### to me. The DPRK regime rattles their rickety old sabre every once in a while to remind everyone else that they exist and that they could inflict some damage if another country is foolhardy enough to attempt invasion. It's also as much a show of strength to the DPRK proletariat and apparatchiks to keep them afraid and in line, lest somebody get ideas about a coup d'état. Nothing more, nothing less. I see nothing significant about this latest missile launch.

The sad reality is that no one—not the USA, not the ROK, not Japan, not the PRC—really want to get involved and topple the Kim regime. The US, China and Japan don't really care, and the South Koreans don't want to have to deal with the ensuing humanitarian crisis and political change. Reunification of the two Koreas will be eminently more difficult than the German reunification.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2023, 06:28 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Kim family plays an ongoing war between their military and the internal security structure. swapping moments of favoritism between the two of them.

One month, the Military gets their favor, the next the MSS. It keeps them off balance and loyal out of fear.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:18 PM   #9
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

US and allies to do their drills this month despite NK rattling their Sabres again.
https://www.cp24.com/world/south-kor...reat-1.6297269
Old 03-04-2023, 10:21 AM   #10
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Things are ramping up...? You had me fooled, because sure seems like the same old #### to me. The DPRK regime rattles their rickety old sabre every once in a while to remind everyone else that they exist and that they could inflict some damage if another country is foolhardy enough to attempt invasion. It's also as much a show of strength to the DPRK proletariat and apparatchiks to keep them afraid and in line, lest somebody get ideas about a coup d'état. Nothing more, nothing less. I see nothing significant about this latest missile launch.
Yeah, this isn't anything new or frightening. NK circumvents sanctions and shoots missiles into the sea. Oh no. Here we go again. Nobody gives a crap about invading NK. SK doesn't want the humanitarian problem. Kim wants to stay in power. Big boohoo about nothing.

Also a very strange position to say that the NK is what could set off WW3, when there is an ongoing scenario that is taking place in Europe at a significantly larger scale not seen for almost 80 years. A scenario made responsible by the very country that has practiced invading it's neighbors since it's inception and throws out nuclear threats in a daily basis. But sure, it's NK we have to worry about...
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:35 AM   #11
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose this is conflict with my thoughts on Ukraine, to an extent.

But would China swallowing up NK be so bad? Sure, China's got it's things, but they're an actual player in the world that benefits from stability. NK is a wild card that is literally just a distraction from peace.

its not like the DMZ isn't essentially a border with China as is. At least Kim would be gone and the people there might have some opportunity for a better life? I dunno. Talking out my butt a bit but it just seems like it would be better option than what is currently happening.

I'm really not afraid of military conflict between China and US. China is too engrained in the global economy to go to war with their biggest customer. It would be a disaster for basically everyone, including them. Even if they "won". What is winning in that war?
Old 03-04-2023, 01:00 PM   #12
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Yeah, this isn't anything new or frightening. NK circumvents sanctions and shoots missiles into the sea. Oh no. Here we go again. Nobody gives a crap about invading NK. SK doesn't want the humanitarian problem. Kim wants to stay in power. Big boohoo about nothing.

Also a very strange position to say that the NK is what could set off WW3, when there is an ongoing scenario that is taking place in Europe at a significantly larger scale not seen for almost 80 years. A scenario made responsible by the very country that has practiced invading it's neighbors since it's inception and throws out nuclear threats in a daily basis. But sure, it's NK we have to worry about...
I think you are wrong. I think there is a much much larger chance of NK launching some kind of nuclear weapon over Putin doing the same. I know you have more relation to what is happening in Ukraine but there is a lot more nuclear restraint with Russia than NK. There are safe checks in Russia much like in the US, Putin can't just launch nuclear missiles on his own. Not only that but Putin doesn't want to destroy Ukraine totally, he wants to capture it. The Kim regime is very different, they are quite crazy because they believe they are actual Gods. NK does not want to capture SK or anything else, they want to destroy it. I think there is practically zero chance Russia launches nuclear missiles, I think at some point NK will.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:35 PM   #13
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see any reason NK would launch nukes at the US or SK for fun. But I can definitely foresee a scenario where Putin sees this as his last hurrah and tries to do so. You're right, there are plenty of fail safes in Russia to make that more difficult so I doubt it happens at all. But if I have to choose, I see the country currently trying to pull off an invasion on it's neighbor and tossing out nuke threats as a significantly more dangerous threat to push the red button, than Kim sitting on his throne trying to stay relevant. I also think (again, not an expert) that IF NK tries to launch something, it will be easier to shoot out of the sky (if that's even possible) or take out their launch sites before that happens. With Russia the best bet is to not even let it get to that point, as no such air defence system exists to stop all they could shoot, not to mention the many subs they have swimming around.

Hopefully neither of us are right and we get to live to a ripe old age where MAD keeps us all in check. As brutal as it is for Ukrainians, hopefully it stays a conventional war until russia is forced out.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2023, 02:42 PM   #14
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

North Korea is potentially facing another famine according to experts.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...452f5832&ei=10

I imagine we'll see them ramp up their aggression to extort money. It's pretty much how they operate.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:02 AM   #15
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

South Korea government is going to pay reparations on behalf of the Japanese government who won't, for the forced labour camps the Japanese Imperial government put the South Koreans (and other countries) into during WW2. It's all an attempt to repair frayed relationships between the two countries for security against North Korea.

https://apnews.com/article/south-kor...8ce557f445772b

Quote:
The plan reflects conservative President Yoon Suk Yeol’s push to mend frayed ties with Japan and solidify security cooperation among Seoul, Tokyo and Washington to better cope with North Korea’s nuclear threats.
Quote:
The South Korean plan, which relies on money raised in South Korea, drew immediate, domestic backlash from former forced laborers and their supporters. They’ve demanded direct compensation from the Japanese companies and a fresh apology from the Japanese government.
Quote:
Ties between Seoul and Tokyo have long been complicated by grievances related to Japan’s brutal rule of the Korean Peninsula from 1910 to 1945, when hundreds of thousands of Koreans were mobilized as forced laborers for Japanese companies, or sex slaves at Tokyo’s military-run brothels during World War II.

Many forced laborers are already dead and survivors are in their 90s. Among the 15 victims involved in 2018 South Korean court rulings that ordered two Japanese companies — Nippon Steel and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries — to compensate them, only three are still alive and they are all in their 90s.

South Korean Foreign Minister Park Jin told a televised news conference the victims would be compensated through a local state-run foundation that would be funded by civilian donations. He said South Korea hopes that Japanese companies would also make voluntary contributions to the foundation.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:32 AM   #16
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you are wrong. I think there is a much much larger chance of NK launching some kind of nuclear weapon over Putin doing the same. I know you have more relation to what is happening in Ukraine but there is a lot more nuclear restraint with Russia than NK. There are safe checks in Russia much like in the US, Putin can't just launch nuclear missiles on his own. Not only that but Putin doesn't want to destroy Ukraine totally, he wants to capture it. The Kim regime is very different, they are quite crazy because they believe they are actual Gods. NK does not want to capture SK or anything else, they want to destroy it. I think there is practically zero chance Russia launches nuclear missiles, I think at some point NK will.
What is the gain for North Korea? They aren't saber rattling about taking over South Korea. They just want nukes so no one gets any ideas about invading them and they can be a big boy table with China and Russia if something ever did breakout.

Mutually assured destruction is basically what prevented the US and the Soviet Union from ever getting into a war with each other - because you even if you 'win', your country is wiped out. Its the same deal with North Korea - they fire a nuke, they get blown off the map and the perks of being the ruler of a country go away.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:54 PM   #17
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

NK tests more missiles as Freedom Shield approaches. I so want the allies to start shooting down these test missiles just to send a message back, call their war bluff.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/...ulate-real-war
Old 03-10-2023, 07:56 PM   #18
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Does it really matter if they test missiles? Serious question. Like, who cares? Just don’t kill anyone. The second you kill someone, your country and backwards #### hole country ceases to exist. Until then? Test all you want.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:08 PM   #19
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing this warning appear in a lot of channels right now and reported as being out of the ordinary for these missile tests by NK.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1646286831481151490

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:17 PM   #20
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was posted around 20 minutes ago. Would we know by now if it actually hit Japanese territory?

Tags
kim is crazy , north korea , nuclear threat