Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-31-2021, 11:33 PM   #81
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are about 6B people that are old enough to be vaccinated, and 3.1B already have their 1st dose (1B still need their 2nd). Assuming 75% uptake, that means there are only about 1.4B people left to get their 1st dose and 2.4B to get their 2nd, so 3.8B doses left to do. At the current rate of administration (about 40M a day), that's about 3 months. So I don't really see world supply being a bottleneck in any kind of timeframe where Canada where be administering booster doses. The ability to administer the doses in the developing world will soon be the bottleneck (if it isn't already).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:37 PM   #82
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you know where those 1.4B people live?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:53 PM   #83
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Primarily in Africa and then a few developing nations in Asia (Afghanistan, Myanmar, etc.) Logistics of administration are (or very soon will be) the bottleneck in those places, not so much the supply of doses.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:35 AM   #84
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the sentiment that we should limit boosters only to those at the highest risk right now.

But I will take a booster when its time. Even if the current shots greatly reduces severe risks - if I can take a harmless shot that reduces my chances of getting sick for a week, I'm taking it.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #85
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I agree with the sentiment that we should limit boosters only to those at the highest risk right now.

But I will take a booster when its time. Even if the current shots greatly reduces severe risks - if I can take a harmless shot that reduces my chances of getting sick for a week, I'm taking it.
I haven't decided if a third shot is in my future or not, but a driving factor for me is to be able to look down at the 'two shoters' as unwashed scum.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #86
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a 3rd shot is available to me (healthy male 30s) I will take it. Me not taking it when it's available won't magically make it available to villagers in a remote outpost of Nepal.

Now, should rich countries be pouring resources into distributing the vaccine to the third world? Of course that should be the bigger priority.

This whole conversation just makes me angrier at folks here at home who choose not to get it at all. I did not think I could be madder.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #87
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

One issue is that a lot of people with a cocktail will be motivated to get a booster for travel and vaccine passport reasons.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #88
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CDC data did show a drop in vaccine effectiveness in adults aged 75+ from July to August as it relates to effectiveness. But not clear if that’s caused by Delta, reduced potency of vaccines or combination.

Which is why some are questioning the rush to the 8 month proclamation for a third shot.

Maybe better off waiting a few more months when some of the vaccines may be modified to better ward off known variants?

In theory I will qualify for third shot in early October based on current guidance. Hoping Delta wave has subsided by then. I bet guidance, atleast in US will be different then vs. today.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #89
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys I ended up getting my first shot of phizer today it has been a long road to get to this point about a month ago I decided I was sick of my anxiety and fear controlling my life I went on sertraline after a rough 2 weeks of side effects and increased anxiety I was able to face 3 of my biggest triggers today ( closed rooms I feel I can't leave from, doctors, and needles)without feeling like I need to leave I felt in control of my anxiety for probably the first time in my life
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:01 PM   #90
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My mom got her 3rd shot today as she has some travel planned and got the mixed dose prior. Happy to hear.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #91
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I just got an email from Hidden Valley Pharmasave stating they're offering 1st, 2nd and 3rd doses on a walk-in basis. What's the time frame where one should get that 3rd dose? I got my 2nd on June 24
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #92
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I just got an email from Hidden Valley Pharmasave stating they're offering 1st, 2nd and 3rd doses on a walk-in basis. What's the time frame where one should get that 3rd dose? I got my 2nd on June 24
What’s the purpose for getting the third? Immunocompromised?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #93
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Well I assume we're all going to need one eventually. I'm not in a hurry, but if it's as simple as walking down the street and getting jabbed why not. I'm assuming there's no supply issues if they're offering walk-ins
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #94
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Not to derail your question, and this may certainly not be the case with the post, but I know more than I few AZ recipients that wish to get a second dose of their Mrna vaccine.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #95
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Well I assume we're all going to need one eventually. I'm not in a hurry, but if it's as simple as walking down the street and getting jabbed why not. I'm assuming there's no supply issues if they're offering walk-ins
Probably, just curious based on what conditions you’d need it for because that would probably impact the best time to get it.

If it’s just to get it, I’d wait until next year and see where things are at with a Delta specific booster. If it’s for immunity issues then whenever your doc recommends. And if it’s for getting two of one for a mixed dose person who wants to travel… I guess two weeks before you need to travel.

From what I’ve heard and read, no real rush for the average person to get the third dose.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #96
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm assuming that it's walk-in only for those who qualify under the AHS guidelines, or if you had mixed vaccinations/AstraZeneca and need it to travel. But that they wouldn't just give a third dose to any healthy and young individual.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #97
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's interesting in the States, because companies have far more financial interest in having people vaccinated. I assume their insurance is covering these stays, which drives their insurance costs up. Because the dollar rules all, it's purely a financial decision. In Canada, companies may have less to lose, since the government picks up the hospital bill. For once, a more capitalist system may actually result in better health policy.
for once?
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #98
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The efficacy of the 3rd dose will likely be heavily influenced by the interval between the 2nd and 3rd doses (longer normally being better). There's probably little to no benefit getting a 3rd dose 2 months after your 2nd.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #99
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the third shot criteria from the Province: https://www.alberta.ca/covid19-vaccine.aspx#second

Quote:
Third dose for immunocompromised

While 2 doses provide excellent protection for most people, third doses will be available for eligible groups at highest risk of severe outcomes:
  • immunocompromised Albertans ages 12 and older
  • residents of seniors’ supportive living facilities

Immunocompromised
  • Consult your health care providers first to discuss your personal risks and benefits.
    • Eligible immunocompromised conditions include:
    • transplant recipients, including solid organ and hematopoietic stem cell transplants
    • chronic kidney disease receiving regular dialysis
    • receiving active cancer treatment (chemotherapy, immunotherapy or targeted therapies), excluding those receiving only hormonal therapy, radiation therapy or surgery
    • taking certain medications for autoimmune diseases including rituximab, ocrelizumab and ofatumumab
  • When to book: Must wait at least 8 weeks after second dose.
  • How to book: Book immediately by calling 811 or through participating pharmacies or physicians’ offices. Book online beginning September 1.

Residents of seniors’ supportive living
  • Alberta Health Services will coordinate additional COVID-19 doses for residents of seniors’ supportive living with other immunization partners as needed at least 5 months after their second dose.
  • Eligible residents of supportive living facilities will receive their third doses at their facilities.

Additional doses for travellers
  • Travellers to jurisdictions that don't recognize Covishield/AstraZeneca or mixed series doses can get additional dose(s) of vaccine.
  • When to book: Must wait at least 4 weeks after second dose.
  • How to book: Book immediately by calling 811 or through participating pharmacies or physicians’ offices. Book online beginning September 1.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #100
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It is still stunning to me just how many Canadians went ahead and got mixed doses of either AZ/MRNA or a combo of different MRNA. It didn't really make sense in a lot of ways, it's caused some problems with travel, work and other things and now we are giving boosters without much data on the need for it for a whole host of the population or what an optimum time frame would be for maximum benefit.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote