Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #21
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
My estimation based on power consumption with an average cost of 14c (power rate plus variable fees) plus carbon tax rebate was between 9-10 years so almost there. Once the carbon tax goes up, I think it'll become closer to that mark.

Plus better solar panels will also improve this, I have 200w panels, I'm planning on costing out higher wattage panels next year see if I can get better return on 300 or 400 watt panels.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
The panels we got this year are 325w.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #22
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Called Virtuoso for a quote.

My power bill is usually around $70/month with $20ish of that being the actual energy charge. The price of power would have to go up 5x for this to make financial sense for me.

I'd do it to see how the system works and also in preparation for a future EV (either plug in hybrid or full electric).
Old 12-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #23
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buddy of mine works at Solar YYC https://solaryyc.ca/

They do excellent work.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #24
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just bought a house, and I asked our inspector about solar systems as the roof will need replacing in the next five years.

He said what others have said, 15-20 years to break even, and even then you only lease the panels for 20 years. There’s a pretty marginal economic benefit at best.

To reduce you energy consumption, you could replace all the lights in your house with LEDs and ensure your home is well insulated. A diesel generator will cover you in the event of a power outage.

You could do all that for vastly less than a solar panel setup.

But, the solar panels are certainly a statement and a signal to your neighbours. It depends how you feel about that.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 12-30-2020 at 09:20 AM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #25
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My estimation based on power consumption with an average cost of 14c (power rate plus variable fees).
You only get that return if you self-consume the electricity. If you put it back into the grid, the return is only the base rate of the electricity itself. With the smaller system you have now, you probably can consume much of it. But if you grow your system, solar's generation profile that's concentrated mid-day and in the summer (periods of relatively low household demand) means that each additional kWh is less likely to be consumed and will generate less value.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #26
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
You only get that return if you self-consume the electricity. If you put it back into the grid, the return is only the base rate of the electricity itself. With the smaller system you have now, you probably can consume much of it. But if you grow your system, solar's generation profile that's concentrated mid-day and in the summer (periods of relatively low household demand) means that each additional kWh is less likely to be consumed and will generate less value.
No, that is not how my system works. My power generation consumption is on a monthly basis and not as I use the power basis. Though Enmax does seem to be able to track that.

If I am pulling from the grid, my meter runs forward, and the KWH count ticks up. If I am providing power to the grid my power usage goes into the negative and the KWH count ticks down.

At the end of the month, my last month's power is calculated based on the amount I used from the last month. The non-fixed price costs use the total power consumed over the month. So if during peak generation hours I generate more than I use (which can happen), it discounts my power usage from non-peak generation hours.

I have generated more power than I was using, and have confirmed this. I also seem to get some sort of discounts every month (not much a couple of bucks) for having solar. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

As for producing more than I generate, this will probably never happen with my case; however, I was told that you would be paid at the current wholesale rate. I will never reach that point without some major improvements in solar technology due to my home lab and hydroponics.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #27
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, that is not how my system works. My power generation consumption is on a monthly basis and not as I use the power basis. Though Enmax does seem to be able to track that.

If I am pulling from the grid, my meter runs forward, and the KWH count ticks up. If I am providing power to the grid my power usage goes into the negative and the KWH count ticks down.

At the end of the month, my last month's power is calculated based on the amount I used from the last month. The non-fixed price costs use the total power consumed over the month. So if during peak generation hours I generate more than I use (which can happen), it discounts my power usage from non-peak generation hours.

I have generated more power than I was using, and have confirmed this. I also seem to get some sort of discounts every month (not much a couple of bucks) for having solar. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

As for producing more than I generate, this will probably never happen with my case; however, I was told that you would be paid at the current wholesale rate. I will never reach that point without some major improvements in solar technology due to my home lab and hydroponics.
They are supposed to install a bi-directional meter. That way you pay for the power you use (power + variable distribution) and get paid for the power you sell (power).

You aren't allowed to just run the meter backwards in Alberta, although that would be a big benefit to having your own system.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #28
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
They are supposed to install a bi-directional meter. That way you pay for the power you use (power + variable distribution) and get paid for the power you sell (power).

You aren't allowed to just run the meter backwards in Alberta, although that would be a big benefit to having your own system.
That is my experience, the solar was up and running for a few days before Enmax could come out and install the bi-directional meter. Was fun to watch the old meter spinning the wrong way when we were producing more power than the house was using.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #29
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

After watching my meter and bills last year, it definitely seems to run back the meter, and it is a bi-directional meter and there is no power generation section on the bill.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #30
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After watching my meter and bills last year, it definitely seems to run back the meter, and it is a bi-directional meter and there is no power generation section on the bill.
Nothing that looks like this?

Old 12-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #31
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Nothing that looks like this?

Nope, never had that on my bill.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #32
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

How are the panels/panel supports attached to your roof? If you need to replace shingles do you need to remove and then reinstall all the panels and supports?

My current thinking is passive solar (for water heating) might be a more effective way to go than solar for power generation.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #33
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like yours was installed incorrectly to your benefit then. I probably would not talk about it on the internet anymore
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 07:26 AM   #34
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
How are the panels/panel supports attached to your roof? If you need to replace shingles do you need to remove and then reinstall all the panels and supports?

My current thinking is passive solar (for water heating) might be a more effective way to go than solar for power generation.
Attached right into the roof through the shingles. Installer needed access into the attic to do the work. We made sure our roof was in good condition and not in need of short term replacing before moving ahead. I'd assume your guess about having to remove a panel to conduct roof repairs would be correct.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:01 PM   #35
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone know if solar panels are hail resistant? Is this something that should be added to your insurance policy?
Old 12-31-2020, 01:09 PM   #36
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I was reading through the solaryyc.ca link and this is what they said:

What about hail?
Modern panels are tested for hail. They can withstand an incredible beating in hail storms. But if a freak storm rolls through, home insurance covers any damage.

During the brutal hail storms of Summer 2020, not one of our solar arrays sustained damage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #37
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Does anyone know if solar panels are hail resistant? Is this something that should be added to your insurance policy?
I definitely would add it to your policy - you're putting something worth 10k+ on your roof. Has anyone who has done them seen a premium increase when they added it?
Old 01-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #38
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

When you guys say 20 years to pay out - is that considering a discount rate?

In other words - if you spend an additional $20k on a solar roof are you literally saving $20k in 20 years and thus should have just invested that money and turned it into $100k
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #39
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
When you guys say 20 years to pay out - is that considering a discount rate?

In other words - if you spend an additional $20k on a solar roof are you literally saving $20k in 20 years and thus should have just invested that money and turned it into $100k
There are no economics that can make the decision to install solar solar for personal use in Alberta a good one, it is purely an environmental play.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #40
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
There are no economics that can make the decision to install solar solar for personal use in Alberta a good one, it is purely an environmental play.

not just in alberta... here in kelowna too! i remember my neighbour saying he basically paid 'up-front' for his power for the next 20 years.