Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2023, 06:26 PM   #3521
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

If you saw a bright flash on your street last Thursday.....

Old 01-21-2023, 06:40 PM   #3522
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do people keep making those?

He jumped 30 years into the past from 1985 to 1955, then he jumped 30 years into the future from 1985 to 2015.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:42 PM   #3523
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Yeah, sorry Dion.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/10/i...-day-is-today/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:37 AM   #3524
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Old 01-22-2023, 01:29 PM   #3525
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #3526
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:38 PM   #3527
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Why do people keep making those?

He jumped 30 years into the past from 1985 to 1955, then he jumped 30 years into the future from 1985 to 2015.
It's weird how in 1985, going back 30 years to 1955 seemed like such a massive change. It was like going into a different world. Then I think about today and if someone went back 30 years to 1993, it might not be so obvious that you even went back in time. There would be little differences, but nothing crazy. Fashion and music are still comparable, as is language. It just seems like the cultural and technological gap between 1955 and 1985 was greater.

Then again, maybe people in 1985 who group in the 1950s didn't see it as a big change either and living through it changes your perspective.

Sorry, really OT.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:40 PM   #3528
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t know. Cell phones, the internet, computers, globalization. Not to mention language, social norms, bigotry.

Anyone from 1985 coming to today would be about as big a fish out water as someone from 85 going to 55.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2023, 07:06 PM   #3529
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don’t know. Cell phones, the internet, computers, globalization. Not to mention language, social norms, bigotry.

Anyone from 1985 coming to today would be about as big a fish out water as someone from 85 going to 55.
I meant just 30 years, so from now back to 1993. Not that another 8 years is huge, but it does seem like there was a bit of a jump from the 80s to the 90s.

I think back to 1993 and it doesn't seem like much has changed between now and then. Computers and cell phones became more sophisticated of course, but they would be recognizable. Wireless technology would probably stand out. Music today sounds pretty much the same as from the 1990s and forward, IMO. There are differences, but not like the differences between Elvis and Motley Crue or Metallica. Like if someone from the 1950s immediately went to the 1980s, the fashion and music would be completely foreign, but from 1993 to 2023, I just don't see it.

But as far as music and styles go, it doesn't seem as big as the 30 years between 1955 and 1985. Heck, I see kids today still walking around wearing Nirvana t-shirts. I doubt too many kids were walking around in 1985 wearing Elvis or Everly Brothers merch.

Colloquial speech from the 1990s to today hasn't changes a heck of a lot, not to the degree of change between 1955 and 1985. I guess social media meme talk would probably confuse people in the 1990s if they jumped 30 years into the future.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-22-2023 at 09:04 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:49 PM   #3530
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I meant just 30 years, so from now back to 1993. Not that another 8 years is huge, but it does seem like there was a bit of a jump from the 80s to the 90s.

I think back to 1993 and it doesn't seem like much has changed between now and then. Computers and cell phones became more sophisticated of course, but they would be recognizable. Wireless technology would probably stand out. Music today sounds pretty much the same as from the 1990s and forward, IMO. There are differences, but not like the differences between Elvis and Motley Crue or Metallica.

But as far as music and styles go, it doesn't seem as big as the 30 years between 1955 and 1985. Heck, I see kids today still walking around wearing Nirvana t-shirts. I doubt too many kids were walking around in 1985 wearing Elvis or Everly Brothers merch.

Colloquial speech from the 1990s to today hasn't changes a heck of a lot, not to the degree of change between 1955 and 1985. I guess social media meme talk would probably confuse people in the 1990 if they just 30 years into the future.
IMO a lot of our culture seemed to freeze in time sometime in the mid-2000's. I recently got into watching British comedy shows so I'm catching up on things like Would I Lie To You and Taskmaster. The first few seasons of WILTY were obviously old since they were in SD, but as soon as the series switched to HD in 2010 I forgot I was watching TV over a decade old. Fashion looks the same, language is the same, hell a lot of the pop culture references are still relevant. And look at the first episode of Last Of Us, the first half was set in 2003 but apart from an Atkins reference I can't think of anything that stuck out as being 20 years dated

When you compare decades in the 20th century they're all quite unique in many ways, but as soon as we got into the 21st century everything just seemed to mesh together
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2023, 09:17 PM   #3531
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The question is did we just get old and that is why things seem the same?

In general I agree that 30 years is less today as I don’t think you could play any music from today in 93 that would be like the guitar scene at at the end.

On social norms though you probably could. In 85 they set the hero of the movie to be a peeping Tom fighting the Villian who went aroun saying he was going to rape people. Sure they were from the fifties but the 80s view was that the 50s behaviour wasn’t problematic enough for it not to be in a family movie
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:20 PM   #3532
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think back to 1993 and it doesn't seem like much has changed between now and then. Computers and cell phones became more sophisticated of course, but they would be recognizable. Wireless technology would probably stand out. Music today sounds pretty much the same as from the 1990s and forward, IMO. There are differences, but not like the differences between Elvis and Motley Crue or Metallica.

Colloquial speech from the 1990s to today hasn't changes a heck of a lot, not to the degree of change between 1955 and 1985. I guess social media meme talk would probably confuse people in the 1990 if they just 30 years into the future.
i don't know... i think back to '93 and some changes since then are massive - especially on the tech side of things...
cell phones - i knew one guy with a cell in the early 90's - he had "the brick". that's the only guy i remember having a cell. a couple buddies of mine had pagers - mostly so their folks could get a message to them to 'phone home'
computers - 1993 was when the pentium chip came out... if you could afford it. just imagine showing "30 years ago you" what a bare bones pc can do today... not to mention a gaming pc
vehicles - hybrid, electric, self driving, the "connectivity" someone has while driving around, gps systems.
how about things like streaming services and not being on dial-up modems and having to wait hours to get a song/album off of napster! ha! ha! oh memories!!
i still remember my folks crt tv... maaaybe 24"?? my friends laugh at my 32" flat screens becuz they are so small, which i guess they are when compared to the 50", 60" ,70" etc tv's you can get now.
how about things like amazon/online shopping? yea, there was consumers distributing, but that was pretty different from a few clicks and then waiting for stuff to show up at your door.

one thing i notice a lot is how (this isn't the right words... but) "self absorbed" people seem to be now - maybe it's becuz most of them have their heads buried in their phones everywhere they go - i don't know. i guess i just like making eye contact with people and i usually have a smile on my face and it's nice to have stuff like that reciprocated.

you mentioned colloquial speech not changing much but i don't know. i think of stuff we'd say back in the early 90s and there's no way i'd use some of those words now - it's just not socially acceptable now - which honestly is a good thing
oh... and i still don't understand social media meme talk - ha! ha!
Old 01-22-2023, 10:14 PM   #3533
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course things have changed in the past 30 years, but I don't think there would be the same culture shock compared to 1955 to 1985, 1925 to 1955, 1895 to 1925, etc... I doubt a moving like Back to the Future would be nearly as effective using our current time and 30 years prior as the settings.

Anyway, I think I highjacked the thread enough. Here's a classic funny video.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:21 AM   #3534
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

@Flamesaddiction - I disagree completely, especially the minimizing of technological advances from 1993. Agree with Cecil, that time travellers would be fish out of water. You may not see it because you've lived through it all, but the change from 486 PC computers and early cell phones that almost no one had to computers in your hand and more importantly the shift to social media based interaction that has dominated the world in powerful ways is arguably one of the biggest changes in human history.

You're just not seeing it because it seemed slow and seamless to those that are alive for this shift. I mean we still don't even understand the changes and ramifications of social media on society and we've had it for over a decade.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-23-2023 at 12:28 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:42 AM   #3535
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 01-23-2023, 02:09 AM   #3536
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
IMO a lot of our culture seemed to freeze in time sometime in the mid-2000's. I recently got into watching British comedy shows so I'm catching up on things like Would I Lie To You and Taskmaster. The first few seasons of WILTY were obviously old since they were in SD, but as soon as the series switched to HD in 2010 I forgot I was watching TV over a decade old. Fashion looks the same, language is the same, hell a lot of the pop culture references are still relevant. And look at the first episode of Last Of Us, the first half was set in 2003 but apart from an Atkins reference I can't think of anything that stuck out as being 20 years dated

When you compare decades in the 20th century they're all quite unique in many ways, but as soon as we got into the 21st century everything just seemed to mesh together
The same thing happened to me.

I was watching an old clip from one of those shows and someone made a reference to George W Bush and you could tell from context that it was a current reference from when the show was made. I ended up looking up the episode it came from, and it originally aired in 2007 or 2008. I never would have thought it was that old until the specific Bush reference was made.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:45 AM   #3537
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree.

There's a really good Bojack Horseman episode (I mean they're all good) from Season 3 (2016) called "The Bojack Horseman Show" that takes place in 2007, and they absolutely nail and eviscerate the vibe and feel of the year, which, even watching back in 2016, made 2007 feel like an entirely different era.

Any congruency in the last 30+ years is just your brain being old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:28 AM   #3538
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:

I think back to 1993 and it doesn't seem like much has changed between now and then. Computers and cell phones became more sophisticated of course, but they would be recognizable. Wireless technology would probably stand out. Music today sounds pretty much the same as from the 1990s and forward, IMO. There are differences, but not like the differences between Elvis and Motley Crue or Metallica. Like if someone from the 1950s immediately went to the 1980s, the fashion and music would be completely foreign, but from 1993 to 2023, I just don't see it.

Colloquial speech from the 1990s to today hasn't changes a heck of a lot, not to the degree of change between 1955 and 1985. I guess social media meme talk would probably confuse people in the 1990s if they jumped 30 years into the future.
I think going back in time is definitely where you see the change. Put today's 18 year old into 1993 and they're definitely seeing huge differences, the major one being no internet/cellphone. How do you get in touch with somebody? Find a payphone. How do you know where to find one without google maps? How do you pay for it without carrying quarters? Have a sudden urge to hear a particular song, can't just fire it up, you either have to go buy it or hope the radio plays it. Same with wanting to watch a movie. Want to know something instantly to satisfy your curiosity? Have to go to the library or find an encyclopedia. Our instant access to everything nowadays is taken for granted and today's kid would absolutely feel alien in that pre internet world.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:51 AM   #3539
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's weird how in 1985, going back 30 years to 1955 seemed like such a massive change. It was like going into a different world. Then I think about today and if someone went back 30 years to 1993, it might not be so obvious that you even went back in time. There would be little differences, but nothing crazy. Fashion and music are still comparable, as is language. It just seems like the cultural and technological gap between 1955 and 1985 was greater.

Then again, maybe people in 1985 who group in the 1950s didn't see it as a big change either and living through it changes your perspective.

Sorry, really OT.
Might this act as your culture study:

Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:56 AM   #3540
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Re: culture standing still in the past 20ish years. I used to think that, but I think it may be due to our ages as Psycnet says. I don't personally see a difference in fashion or music from say 2008 to 2016 but I bet kids growing up in that period do. Taking the same 8 year gap from my childhood, there's a huge difference to me from 1990 to 1998 in music and fashion for sure, but I bet 40 year olds at the time didn't notice or care.

I've recently been revisiting some movies from the mid 2000s and they do look very different in style to today's movies. No overreliance on CGI, but there's a definite style of filming - gritty, green/blue filters, overuse of flash zooms/cuts. Think of the Saw movies as an example.

I also happened to see the trailer for the 2008 Indiana Jones movie recently. Look how different this style of trailer is compared to today.