Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2023, 10:01 AM   #2261
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
I can't wait to see all the people using way too much toilet paper and clogging up their own toilets just to stick it to the woke man.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 10:19 AM   #2262
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I can't wait to see all the people using way too much toilet paper and clogging up their own toilets just to stick it to the woke man.
You've cracked it!
Clearly Jordan Peterson is in the pocket of big plumbing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 10:23 AM   #2263
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
You've cracked it!
Clearly Jordan Peterson is in the pocket of big plumbing.
One thing I'm pretty confident in saying is that Peterson does not have big plumbing.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 11:17 AM   #2264
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would think a purportedly smart guy would know the meaning of the word tyranny, petty or otherwise, a request cannot be tyrannical by definition, tyrants dont ask they tell
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 12:31 PM   #2265
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
You would think a purportedly smart guy would know the meaning of the word tyranny, petty or otherwise, a request cannot be tyrannical by definition, tyrants dont ask they tell
Jordan Peterson’s arc is a great example of “die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”

The somewhat eccentric UT psychology prof who came to class in cable knit sweaters to wax about the meaning of Disney movies, mythology and philosophy, child development and relationships was not the same man as the Doctor Who cosplayer who can’t go three sentences without mentioning the “radical left”.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 12:32 PM   #2266
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, you see older lectures of him where he is slightly overweight, wearing kind of dowdy dad clothes, and genuinely enjoying the fact that his lectures delight and interest so many students.

Now, he's just a bizarre grifting weirdo.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 12:43 PM   #2267
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, you see older lectures of him where he is slightly overweight, wearing kind of dowdy dad clothes, and genuinely enjoying the fact that his lectures delight and interest so many students.

Now, he's just a bizarre grifting weirdo.
It’s really sad to see.

The perspective of the old Peterson was something I quite enjoyed.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:45 PM   #2268
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that you can only be an expert on very few things at once. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but otherwise smart people start to think that they are experts on everything. Petterson is just an example of someone on an international stage doing what happens all the time.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:46 PM   #2269
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, he looks malnourished as hell!
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:55 PM   #2270
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't wish ill on him, but I can see Peterson's story ending in tragedy.
He's not all good in the head and seems like a guy deflecting a lot of internal struggles.
He has always had this could blow up into rage at any moment demeanour about him
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 11:32 AM   #2271
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cancel culture comes for Scott Adams.

Quote:
The cartoon Dilbert has been dropped from numerous U.S. newspapers in response to a racist rant by its creator on YouTube.

Scott Adams called Black Americans a "hate group" and suggested white Americans "get the hell away from Black people" in response to a conservative organization's poll purporting to show that many African Americans do not think it's OK to be white.
Quote:
"By Monday, I should be mostly cancelled. So most of my income will be gone by next week," he said. "My reputation for the rest of my life is destroyed. You can't come back from this."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/dilber...rant-1.6760979

Well will you look at that, Musk gave him the opportunity to exercise his free speech as a citizen journalist, and now he gets to see that free speech doesn't mean free from consequences. I have a Dilbert cartoon book that is bound for the recycle bin.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1629751544127037440

Elon Musk, not one to be smart enough to stay out of this, thinks the media is racist. Presumably against white people. What an amazing thought leader.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:40 AM   #2272
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Cancel culture comes for Scott Adams.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/dilber...rant-1.6760979

Well will you look at that, Musk gave him the opportunity to exercise his free speech as a citizen journalist, and now he gets to see that free speech doesn't mean free from consequences. I have a Dilbert cartoon book that is bound for the recycle bin.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1629751544127037440

Elon Musk, not one to be smart enough to stay out of this, thinks the media is racist. Presumably against white people. What an amazing thought leader.
I liked Dilbert, one of my favorite books was The Dilbert Future. Totally my sense of humor. Loved it.

Recently went through a bin of old books from the basement. Donated a ton. The Bill Cosby books and Dilbert Future went in the bin.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:44 AM   #2273
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scott Adams somehow managed to avoid getting sh-tcanned for a long time, he went off the deep end years ago. I guess this was the last straw.

Quote:
I have a Dilbert cartoon book that is bound for the recycle bin.
This I don't get, however. You've already paid for the book, Scott Adams doesn't get royalties from you reading it, and the book and its contents have bugger all to do with anything Scott Adams has said in the last five years. The art stands on its own merit.

Dilbert is funny. It is independently so of Scott Adams being slightly unhinged. Throwing your own book away seems daft and dramatic.

I can understand Q-Scout binning the Bill Cosby book because the guy is a serial rapist and Cosby's books are generally purported to be about him or from his perspective, which of course means they're complete nonsense given the revelations about his behavior.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 02-26-2023 at 11:47 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:47 AM   #2274
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What kind of Poll Question is: "Is it OK to be White?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:48 AM   #2275
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What kind of Poll Question is: "Is it OK to be White?"
"in response to a conservative organization's poll purporting to show that many African Americans do not think it's OK to be white."

A stupid one, though not off-brand for modern day American conservatism.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:54 AM   #2276
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Scott Adams somehow managed to avoid getting sh-tcanned for a long time, he went off the deep end years ago. I guess this was the last straw.

This I don't get, however. You've already paid for the book, Scott Adams doesn't get royalties from you reading it, and the book and its contents have bugger all to do with anything Scott Adams has said in the last five years. The art stands on its own merit.

Dilbert is funny. It is independently so of Scott Adams being slightly unhinged. Throwing your own book away seems daft and dramatic.

I can understand Q-Scout binning the Bill Cosby book because the guy is a serial rapist and Cosby's books are generally purported to be about him or from his perspective, which of course means they're complete nonsense given the revelations about his behavior.
I guess I could burn it, but that's bad for the environment. Plus the whole history of book burning.

Well, I have a few choices. One is to keep it, but then, I have no interest in reading it again so it is just clutter. I could give it to someone else or donate it, but then someone who may not know Scott Adams may like it, and buy more, thus giving him more money. I don't want that. Or someone may want it because they like what the racist had to say, so that's not really good either. Ignoring or sidelining people like this and taking their voice is a valid response.

As to it being funny, sure it is. But (and here comes the Godwin) Hitler may have been a great artist, but would you have bought his paintings in the 30's to support Nazism? If you had a Hitler painting would you donate it or burn it when you found out how he really felt? Or would you have given it to someone so they could appreciate it as art? I'm pretty sure most people would destroy it(ignoring the future significance of the piece), and if you kept it up in your house, visitors may question your support for the man.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:56 AM   #2277
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
"in response to a conservative organization's poll purporting to show that many African Americans do not think it's OK to be white."

A stupid one, though not off-brand for modern day American conservatism.
I mean, its ethnicity, it sort of 'is what it is.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-26-2023, 11:57 AM   #2278
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I could burn it, but that's bad for the environment. Plus the whole history of book burning.

Well, I have a few choices. One is to keep it, but then, I have no interest in reading it again so it is just clutter. I could give it to someone else or donate it, but then someone who may not know Scott Adams may like it, and buy more, thus giving him more money. I don't want that. Or someone may want it because they like what the racist had to say, so that's not really good either. Ignoring or sidelining people like this and taking their voice is a valid response.

As to it being funny, sure it is. But (and here comes the Godwin) Hitler may have been a great artist, but would you have bought his paintings in the 30's to support Nazism? If you had a Hitler painting would you donate it or burn it when you found out how he really felt? Or would you have given it to someone so they could appreciate it as art? I'm pretty sure most people would destroy it(ignoring the future significance of the piece), and if you kept it up in your house, visitors may question your support for the man.
Its not a problem though. He was a genuinely crap artist. Truly awful.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:58 AM   #2279
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its not a problem though. He was a genuinely crap artist. Truly awful.
Sure, it was just a thought experiment using an extreme example. It's all a matter of degrees. I consider overt racism to be a high enough bar. Maybe others don't, that's their principles.

EDIT: And that's not a judgment on anyone comments here, if it read that way.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:27 PM   #2280
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, its ethnicity, it sort of 'is what it is.'
Maybe PoC will want to start identifying as white people. Can you imagine the blowback from the right if that were to become a thing?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote