Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2023, 10:25 AM   #1921
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
Or maybe you got fooled by some random guy who tilts at windmills. Like, seriously, how do they construct an article around some guy that ... ooooooo ... is an engineer WITH a business diploma who self-professes to know a thing or two about business deals. But in reality doesn't know anything more than the next guy, but rather makes a bunch of assumptions to feed his faux outrage.

Thanks, Herald and all, for foisting a bunch of unsubstantiated clickbait on the rest of us, and making us have to do YOUR due diligence to discover that this is just an attention seeker with no relevant credentials or insider information.
Lol, I'm reading that article, and I'm like, did they just quote some random twitter guy who self professes to be a business deal expert?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:31 AM   #1922
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
When I was a STH before moving to BC, we often arrived early for a game to eat as it was easier than first going home, eating and trying to speed a trip to the Dome. The food choices were terrible: wings/fries in the restaurant seemed the best "value", pizza or (while it was there) noodles. Our seats were in 215 so we hit the restaurant up top for beer and could get bottled beer there, not the heroin beer in the rest of the place.

But it was expensive and crappy...so often we went to places close to the Dome instead. Short-sighted marketing.
I'm from Lethbridge and I would drive up with my kids and stop at a McDonald's along Macleod Trail before hitting the Dome. Around $20 for two meals at McD's for a quick bite to eat was all we needed. Tried the Dome once and around 20 mortgage payments for burgers that tasted terrible.... just not feasible.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 10:34 AM   #1923
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I'm from Lethbridge and I would drive up with my kids and stop at a McDonald's along Macleod Trail before hitting the Dome. Around $20 for two meals at McD's for a quick bite to eat was all we needed. Tried the Dome once and around 20 mortgage payments for burgers that tasted terrible.... just not feasible.
It's impressive how brazen they are with the pricing given the quality could be rivaled by some brands of dog food
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 10:34 AM   #1924
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Well that’s what a biased article with details from an uninvolved third party and no access to the agreement is saying. I also think he should return his business diploma. He’s complaining about the construction costs being one sided and the Flames making their payments over time. That is what happens when you own a building and then lease it out. Also, what business in their right mind is going to sign a lease where they pay more in years of positive revenue but still pay the same in years of poor or negative revenue? Yeah, I want this guy representing or running my business. What a terrible article.
While I'm not a huge fan of the deal, I am a huge fan of getting facts straight. This one lost me. Without being too cocky, I have significant experience around infrastructure projects and their related commercial deals.

Quote:
However, Fazel notes the city’s upfront costs are much higher, since CSEC is only putting in $40 million at the start of construction. It will pay back an additional $316 million in annual payments that begin at $17 million and climb by 1 per cent each year.
The $316 million is clearly noted as the present value of the lease payments using a 5% discount factor. The amount of the lease payments starting at $17 million, increasing by 1% each year for 35 years is about $708 million total.

If you compare that to the City's initial $515 million investment, that's about a 1.8% IRR over the 35 year term, which is not great (the city better hope property values an investments in the area increase the tax rate to realize better returns). That's on quick math without having all of the details of ins/outs of cash during the construction process, etc. I think Fazel is probably not privy to/doesn't know where some of the additional up front cash is coming from - there's likely more to the story on that.

It's also not uncommon at all for the owner/lessor to simply just recoup and earn an ROI, and not participate in the operating profits/losses (imagine the uproar if the City had to pay a portion of CSEC's losses if there's another extended strike or lockout?). The structure, in my opinion, helps to mitigate some of the risk from a taxpayer perspective while limiting upsides, which is the tradeoff.

Last edited by calf; 06-05-2023 at 10:39 AM.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 10:42 AM   #1925
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Lol, I'm reading that article, and I'm like, did they just quote some random twitter guy who self professes to be a business deal expert?

He is an expert on a number of things including Covid 19 given his position with the Canadian Aerosol Transmission Coalition. Also appears to be very trusted by the local media.

https://www.safeschoolscoalitionbc.c...tyfor-schools/
https://globalnews.ca/news/7709093/a...t-tracing-app/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...says-1.3075825
Old 06-05-2023, 10:58 AM   #1926
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry just saw thr article posted by Farkas.

Probably still annoyed people voted for the UCP just based on getting the arena deal done.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:01 AM   #1927
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
While I'm not a huge fan of the deal, I am a huge fan of getting facts straight. This one lost me. Without being too cocky, I have significant experience around infrastructure projects and their related commercial deals.

The $316 million is clearly noted as the present value of the lease payments using a 5% discount factor. The amount of the lease payments starting at $17 million, increasing by 1% each year for 35 years is about $708 million total.

If you compare that to the City's initial $515 million investment, that's about a 1.8% IRR over the 35 year term, which is not great (the city better hope property values an investments in the area increase the tax rate to realize better returns). That's on quick math without having all of the details of ins/outs of cash during the construction process, etc. I think Fazel is probably not privy to/doesn't know where some of the additional up front cash is coming from - there's likely more to the story on that.

It's also not uncommon at all for the owner/lessor to simply just recoup and earn an ROI, and not participate in the operating profits/losses (imagine the uproar if the City had to pay a portion of CSEC's losses if there's another extended strike or lockout?). The structure, in my opinion, helps to mitigate some of the risk from a taxpayer perspective while limiting upsides, which is the tradeoff.
Does anyone know about what the City's cost of capital is? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's nowhere near this 1.8 IRR
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:50 AM   #1928
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Probably still annoyed people voted for the UCP just based on getting the arena deal done.
Do you really think it caused people to switch their votes to the UCP?
Old 06-05-2023, 12:02 PM   #1929
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yeah, the opinion polls I saw suggest that it probably hurt the UCP more than it helped.

As far as the critic goes, critics criticize. It seems like this guy pops up as a critic on various things frequently. I think it's like his job or something.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:06 PM   #1930
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Well some of the posts here seem to suggest it was important enough to vote UCP don't know if it switched a vote but maybe reinforced voting UCP.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:08 PM   #1931
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
It's impressive how brazen they are with the pricing given the quality could be rivaled by some brands of dog food
Bought by people that hate their dog.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 12:25 PM   #1932
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never understood the 'wait for details' people here. It was always in all parties' best interest to present this in the most favourable light for taxpayers, and this was the best they could do.

The deal stinks. The criticism is valid based on the information available. And again, there is absolutely zero reason to have hidden mitigating details.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 12:42 PM   #1933
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
…I’d be demanding that they do it in exactly the same fashion. Unrivalled.

Costumes, dancing, everything. Do it all again.
That clip was definitely Calgary in the 80s

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:30 PM   #1934
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Well that’s what a biased article with details from an uninvolved third party and no access to the agreement is saying. I also think he should return his business diploma. He’s complaining about the construction costs being one sided and the Flames making their payments over time. That is what happens when you own a building and then lease it out. Also, what business in their right mind is going to sign a lease where they pay more in years of positive revenue but still pay the same in years of poor or negative revenue? Yeah, I want this guy representing or running my business. What a terrible article.
I don't think many landlords build a building for 538 million dollars and then lease it out to get a present value of 316 million dollars over a 35 year lease. I did a lot of development law when I was practicing law and I just don't recall many developers coming in and saying "I have a killer deal where my up front costs are 170% of the value of my return". Usually the landlords tried to make money on the buildings they owned.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 05:14 PM   #1935
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Calgary has to accept that it is not a large enough entertainment market to justify a privately funded modern NHL sized arena by itself.

If it wants a major, state-of-the-art anchor tenant in its Rivers District development it'll need to subsidize it, like it is doing with Arts Commons development. And just like Arts Commons, the benefits will be mostly the wider economic spin-offs, quality of life and revitalization of downtown, not from making money from the venues itself.

To borrow from Mayor Nenshi's quote:

accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 05:32 PM   #1936
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Well some of the posts here seem to suggest it was important enough to vote UCP don't know if it switched a vote but maybe reinforced voting UCP.
All the rural Alberta Oiler fans just voted to fund the new Flames arena.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:36 PM   #1937
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
Does anyone know about what the City's cost of capital is? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's nowhere near this 1.8 IRR
Municipalities can't issue debt in Alberta, the province runs borrowing programs through the Treasury. So you're looking at using the provinces cost of capital for these projects.

The last debt issuance in Alberta was done at a 4% coupon...the average yield to maturity of the portfolio of Alberta's debt is trading at 4.17% at the moment. Government's don't really raise equity, so you can use the current debt price as your cost of capital.

For conversation sake as there will be a bunch of O&G folks running around running NPV8 figures off their respective economic packages.

Fresh off Bloomberg:
CNQ WACC: 13.27%
VET WACC: 11.65%
Tourmaline: 12.57%
Suncor: 10.69%
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:59 PM   #1938
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah, the opinion polls I saw suggest that it probably hurt the UCP more than it helped.

As far as the critic goes, critics criticize. It seems like this guy pops up as a critic on various things frequently. I think it's like his job or something.
So he’s a professional bitcher!! He can piss off as far as I’m concerned!! Yeah dip####, let’s not build an arena, lose our hockey team and be forever known as Edmonton’s ugly weak cousin!! No ####ing thank you!!
Old 06-05-2023, 10:51 PM   #1939
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's just saying Calgary might have beat Edmonton again.
Edmonton got bent over on their deal and Calgary might have bent over even more
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:56 AM   #1940
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Farkas… lol.
Nothing more needs to be said about that guy.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote