Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2022, 09:47 PM   #1
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Call up Phillips! Now!

this worked last time with changing the lines so I'm doing it again

the team just needs a different look up front , not to say he will be the savior by any means but we're in desperate need of pure skill and we need to show our prospects that if they play well they can earn a shot on the nhl roster

phillips deserves this and I have the sneaking suspicion he can be that guy that clicks across from huberdeau

no waivers are required for 30 days with the team .. there is no reason not to give him his long deserved shot here

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 12-01-2022 at 09:51 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:48 PM   #2
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s not the saviour this team needs. But they need to give him a shot. If for no other reason than to be interesting to watch again.

I don’t have any reason to be excited right now. Give me something.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #3
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

One player is not going to be the almighty saviour right now IMO. Sure, call him up, but if you expect a magical turnaround you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:51 PM   #4
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully watching another midget in Caufield score the game winner tonight, might spark a recall.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:51 PM   #5
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I've seen enough. The reluctance to call up Phillips is just not justified anymore.

Phillips deserves a shot with the big club. Now. And not 1 or 2 games. And not in the bottom 6.

I'm probably taking a break from tuning in to this team until Matthew gets called up.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:51 PM   #6
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

If your teams answers have to come from injecting a player from the A straight to your top line than you dont have a very good team at all.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:54 PM   #7
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’d like to call up Kadri, where’s he been?
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:54 PM   #8
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
If your teams answers have to come from injecting a player from the A straight to your top line than you dont have a very good team at all.
That's a brutal oversimplification and quite frankly an ignorant comment.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:56 PM   #9
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

usually there are ebbs and flows over a season with offensive confidence but this group just can't seem to find traction for any more than a game or two
Old 12-01-2022, 09:57 PM   #10
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

hopefully Caufield sinking the dagger tonight is a clear wake up call to the guys behind the bench and upstairs

you can't discount the talent you have because of their size . we are in dire straits for finish right now and honestly can't afford to
Old 12-01-2022, 09:57 PM   #11
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Can't do it, because LannyMAcDondald already knows he won't be a difference maker!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:58 PM   #12
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Yeah, I've seen enough. The reluctance to call up Phillips is just not justified anymore.

Phillips deserves a shot with the big club. Now. And not 1 or 2 games. And not in the bottom 6.

I'm probably taking a break from tuning in to this team until Matthew gets called up.
Same. Little reason to spend time watching this group these days. A recall would rekindle my interest but it’s pretty sad right now
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:59 PM   #13
sch19lks
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Treliving can call him up, then Sutter would either scratch him or he’d play him on the fourth line. Same goes for Pelletier, same goes for Zary. Sutter won’t put any of those guys in the top six. Right or wrong, he won’t.
sch19lks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:00 PM   #14
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I’d like to call up Kadri, where’s he been?
Collecting money because a desperate owner mandated a desperate signing of a mercenary. He won and wanted to get paid. History tells you to avoid those….

We traded a future 1st rounder and a 9 season vet to make room for him by the way.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:01 PM   #15
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
That's a brutal oversimplification and quite frankly an ignorant comment.

Flames have a tough time scoring in the dirty areas and rarely screen goalies. Yet 5'7 140 lbs Matthew Phillips is going to turn our offence around and save the season?

Its grasping at straws by fans trying to inject something into this team that realistically is going to have minimal effect with the structure our coach wants this team to play. If people want more scoring they should call for a new coach, not calling up a guy who has zero percent chance to succeed on this team with the way theyre being coached to play.

I dont want to see guys like Lucic in the line up either but unless you want to see 4th line Phillips thats about all you could hope for.

Last edited by Patek23; 12-01-2022 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:03 PM   #16
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
One player is not going to be the almighty saviour right now IMO. Sure, call him up, but if you expect a magical turnaround you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Nobody is calling him the almighty saviour, and nobody is expecting a magical turnaround. It's a change, might light a fire, I can not see how much more disappointed I can get compare to sticking with the same old, same old.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:03 PM   #17
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Flames have a tough time scoring in the dirty areas and rarely screen goalies. Yet 5'7 140 lbs Matthew Phillips is going to turn our offence around and save the season?

Its grasping at straws by fans trying to inject something into this team that realistically is going to have minimal effect with the structure our coach wants this team to play. If people want more scoring they should call for a new coach not calling up a guy who has zero percent chance to succeed on this team with the way theyre being coached to play.

I dont want to see guys like Lucic in the line up either but unless you want to see 4th line Phillips thats about all you could hope for.
This coach had two 100+ Players, a 40 goal scorer and a 30 goal scorer playing the same system last year. This team plays with ZERO pace.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:03 PM   #18
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Bring back Scorch too!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:07 PM   #19
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Bring back Scorch too!
we are being punished by the hockey gods for this reason

the "accidental" scorch promo on Twitter was no accident .. they wanted scorch freed
Old 12-01-2022, 10:09 PM   #20
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
This coach had two 100+ Players, a 40 goal scorer and a 30 goal scorer playing the same system last year. This team plays with ZERO pace.
Those players are gone now. For right or wrong our core now for the next 8 years is based upon completely different players who had success in totally different systems.

Not to mention our starter rarely gives us a .900 game or better and thats going to mess with how the rest of the team plays their game. Look how easily we collapsed against the Oilers and we got off our game. When a team who routinely outshoots the opposition 2-1 and lets barely any shots yet your routinely having squeakers and boneheaded plays by your goalie go in its going to be tough to focus on your game when you feel like you gotta get back quicker or do more to prevent every shot you can for fear of a goal.