Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #8901
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Wilson even a possibility? Is he looking for a change of scenery too?
Old 03-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #8902
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Is Wilson even a possibility? Is he looking for a change of scenery too?
I don't see how he would be made available. He's young, big, continues to be a consistent offensive producer, and the two years remaining on his contact are pretty good value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 03-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #8903
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't see how he would be made available. He's young, big, continues to be a consistent offensive producer, and the two years remaining on his contact are pretty good value.
Thanks, with all the chat about Wilson I thought he might be a possibility.

We need to find the next Gary Roberts!
Old 03-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #8904
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wilson is kind of under the microscope now. Anything he does, whether technically within the rules or not, is going to be judged harshly. He lost all benefit of the doubt and has somewhat of a Wideman effect. Maybe he keeps on trucking, but if recent events force him to change his game, it could reduce his effectiveness.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #8905
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another guy we could’ve had instead of Jankowski.

I have no love for Tom Wilson, but a large, violent psychopath who can Play would’ve been a pretty nice thing to stick on the right side of Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan for the last seven years.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #8906
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never really seen the point of 'what could have been', with the exception of the Flames having rumours surrounding a particular player that they coveted.

From the 2012 draft, all we know is that they had Galchenyuk 1st over all (not too bad in hindsight, considering he is currently the 2nd best point producer from that draft), and in addition to the players they selected, were also interest in Matt Finn (who only played 28 games in the NHL years ago).

I can imagine the revolt that would have happened in that draft day thread with the Flames taking Wilson though! LoL "Great, another Chucko, Pelech, Nemisz!".

I don't get upset much if the Flames don't draft my favourite player any longer, or seem to draft something else. I was 100% fine with the Kanzig and Smith picks as they were both players on the rise, but just didn't pan out. Jankowski I thought was a fantastic pick. At the end of the day, Flames picked an NHL'er instead of a bust.

I have made the argument that the Calgary Flames have become a strong drafting and development organization in the NHL since 2007. Year upon year they seemed to continue to improve, but it all started in 2007 when they tried to identify IQ and character as the principle traits they look for, and have continually added more scouts and development staff since then, as well as having their scouting department mature and improve through experience.

Since 2007, the Flames have graduated at least one pick every single season except 2009 (FU Tim Erixon! - but he at least looked like an astonishingly solid defencemen even in his draft +2 and +3 years), right up until 2018 (still too early, and the first pick that year was Pospisil at 105, so it will take time to get those picks developed).

Every year I look to see who the Flames drafted and research that player up myself, smile, and think of what may be. I have stopped going back in the drafts and figured out who we could have drafted instead.

When you figure in average draft pick number, plus number of picks, I would say the Flames are one of the top drafting teams - somewhere between 5 and 10, easily. I do wonder, however, if the same people who wish the Flames drafted Wilson are the same people being angry at the time over Kanzig, Smith, Pelech, etc. It is difficult figuring out if these tough players are doing well because they are bigger and stronger than everyone else, if they really do have translatable skills, and to properly develop them. I will never begrudge the Flames on taking Kanzig and Smith for instance, as if they both worked out this would probably be the toughest team in the NHL right now, and could play a heavy game as well as a skilled game.

This is something that I think future drafts are going to correct for (and it won't be because of Darryl Sutter). Even Feaster said it before getting turfed - this team needs some muscle and size. When you are always really good at finding skilled but undersized players in the draft, you often end up with a skilled but undersized team. Flames have been trying lately over the years (not just Kanzig and Smith, but guys like Carrol, Fischer, Pospisil), and I expect them to try and identify larger players with some jam to their game.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #8907
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just got a notification from Sportsnet saying the Sharks were considering voiding Evander Kanes contract, anyone know what that's about?

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
Old 03-10-2021, 03:08 PM   #8908
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I just got a notification from Sportsnet saying the Sharks were considering voiding Evander Kanes contract, anyone know what that's about?
Hmm if you're already millions in the hole, it might suck to have to pay taxes on $7 million/year
Old 03-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #8909
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's speculated that it is a threat to creditors that if they try to garish too much of his pay, he'll just quit and they get nothing because you can't get blood from a stone.

I am not sure what the rules are where he is being sued, but in BC, they can only garnish 30% of your income if you are employed, but 100% if you are self-employed or a contractor. Assuming similar rules apply and he is considered a contractor, I wouldn't blame him for just quitting if 100% of his salary can be seized.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:13 PM   #8910
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From an athletic article, tied to his bankruptcy.

Creditors are trying to get at future earnings. It’s bitter. He might blow up his earnings first. The sharks motivation is not clear but could be just get out of the contract if he’s willing to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #8911
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

No idea if he'd be available, but I keep coming back to Mantha.

6'5" 235lbs and can skate and score
Has several years of team control left
Can play either wing, mostly plays RW as a left shot though

He's having a down year, and its well documented that he has motivation issues at times, but if Sutter thinks he can push the right buttons on this guy he'd be an incredible addition.

Of course, Yzerman isn't exactly a newbie, so if he happens to be selling, buyer beware I suppose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #8912
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Domi is another guy that's reportedly available. Already.
What happens to players in Columbus?
Old 03-10-2021, 03:45 PM   #8913
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Domi is another guy that's reportedly available. Already.
What happens to players in Columbus?

Also what’s up with Domi?
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #8914
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Seravalli on TSN says that the Flames took a look at Rakell before hiring Sutter but the price was too high.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 05:42 PM   #8915
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If the price is right and the Flames are positioned for a playoff run it would be interesting to see pending UFA Getzlaf wearing the Flaming C for a few months .
The Following User Says Thank You to stamps For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #8916
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Seravalli on TSN says that the Flames took a look at Rakell before hiring Sutter but the price was too high.
LoL, every trade rumor linked to a good player who potentially fills a gaping hole on this roster is "too expensive".

I bet they asked for Bennett and BT scoffed.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:13 PM   #8917
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
LoL, every trade rumor linked to a good player who potentially fills a gaping hole on this roster is "too expensive".

Creating fantasy situations just to criticize Treliving seems silly IMO.

To play along, I bet Anaheim asked for Valimaki, Dube, and our 1st. Wow, great job sticking to your guns BT!
Old 03-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #8918
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post

I bet they asked for a first and a prospect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #8919
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Creating fantasy situations just to criticize Treliving seems silly IMO.

To play along, I bet Anaheim asked for Valimaki, Dube, and our 1st. Wow, great job sticking to your guns BT!
Is it that far off tho?

BT held onto Hamonic and Brodie and lost them for nothing.

He's held onto Bennett for far too long.

I think BT over values his roster and therefore the asking price is always too expensive.

Last edited by Two Fivenagame; 03-10-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:18 PM   #8920
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

A huge problem with the Flames this season is Even Strength Scoring.

Lindholm ( 73rd in the NHL) has 13, Tkachuk (83) and Gaudreau (84) have 12 and Monahan has 11(121).

That is putrid production for a teams top forwards. If the team is going to make a run , those 4 players’ even strength points have to increase dramatically.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread