Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #41
Fuzzy McGillicuddy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's really a matter of personal taste whether you dilute or serve neat.

Over the past few years, I've started to dilute all single malts with equal amounts of water. I've found the alcohol overpowers the taste.

At first I was reluctant to try this because it just didn't make sense to dilute good whiskey. I was convinced by Peter Gordon, of Grant & Sons. He diluted a 30 year old Glenfiddich. It was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. The properties of the whiskey are more noticeable this way.
Fuzzy McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #42
Southern_Canuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Cardhu is recommended - can't get it down here, though.

Mmmmmm, Balvenie Doublewood does the trick - a single malt that is aged in oak, and then switched to a sherry cask for the last few years. It has a vaguely sweet finish. Nice.

S_C
Southern_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #43
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lagavulin for me
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #44
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Scotch and water. Three fingers. Hold the rocks.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #45
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is meant by 'smooth'?
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #46
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I went to the Willow Park Scotch tasting and it was friggin fantastic. It was last Wednesday and when I showed up for work on Thursday afternoon my coworkers said I still reeked like booze. There were about 20 tables with 100 different kinds ranging from 10 year to 21 year (or so).

It was AMAZING.

Some highlights from what I remember:

Macallans and Glenfarchas were the two highlights for me. The cask strength Glenfarchas was great.

MaCallans and Glenfarchas are now my two scotches of choice.

Other brands:

Dalwinnie is ok, as was Balvenie and Glenlivet. Oban and Glenkinchie are alright too. Laguvalin is so smoky I HATED it. Glad I never wasted $70 on that crap (to each his own though).

There were a few others but I'll have to go home and check the pamphlet that I got because I can't remember them off the top of my head.

For $40 (i got them half price though) for probably 50 or so shots ( or half shots in some cases) it was totally worth it.

Me and my cousin left early because at about 830, it went until 9, when we realized we were dangerously close to being epically trashed. Last thing I remember is getting off at the wrong train station. Getting back on, then breaking the glass that I got (or stole can't remember). Either way I will be going again next year if they have it again as it was absolutely fabulous.

Great way to try a bunch of regular 10 and 12 years that I'd be willing to buy regularly and to know what 15 - 21 years that I'd buy on a special occassion.

Numerous brands that I'd never heard of that were pretty interesting, including the only Indian Scotch in the world. And a few Canadian ones.

I'll post more tomorrow when I have a chance to look at the pamphlet and try to match my hazy memory to what I like and what I didn't.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #47
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
Neil Peart is a Macallan guy.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #48
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
So I went to the Willow Park Scotch tasting and it was friggin fantastic. It was last Wednesday and when I showed up for work on Thursday afternoon my coworkers said I still reeked like booze. There were about 20 tables with 100 different kinds ranging from 10 year to 21 year (or so).

It was AMAZING.

Some highlights from what I remember:

<SNIP>

Dalwinnie is ok, as was Balvenie and Glenlivet. Oban and Glenkinchie are alright too. Laguvalin is so smoky I HATED it. Glad I never wasted $70 on that crap (to each his own though).
<SNIP>
That's exactly why I recommended going to a scotch tasting in another thread. Lagavulin is very highly rated by many, but you really have to like smokey Islay's to dig it.

Stupid question, and maybe I just need to reread the thread... Is the Willow Park tasting a regular (weekly/monthly) event?
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #49
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPlayoffs06 View Post
I like Glenfiddich, Dalwhinney, and Glenmorganie. I've never tried any of the JW. Scotch should have a Scottish name. Always with 3 rocks.

I'd love to go to a tasting sometime, but nobody I know has the balls for Scotch and I'm not gonna go alone. =P
Bahhh! I offered to go to a tasting with you years ago when I drank that stuff more.

PS (for anyone in this thread) ever try Innis & Gunn beer? It goes down super smooth then all of a sudden BOOM! total scotch flavor and heat. Its oak aged and has some of the other hints and notes in it that are in many scotches.

It's a strong beer (6.6%) and definitely more pricey than your other more popular imports.

Can't say it's one of my favorites (maybe beer should taste like beer and scotch like scotch?) but worth picking up a 6 pack every once in a while.

Last edited by Daradon; 11-20-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #50
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
That's exactly why I recommended going to a scotch tasting in another thread. Lagavulin is very highly rated by many, but you really have to like smokey Islay's to dig it.

Stupid question, and maybe I just need to reread the thread... Is the Willow Park tasting a regular (weekly/monthly) event?
Yearly as far as I know. If it was weekly I'm pretty sure I'd be both poor and an alcoholic.

This was also the 50th anniversary of Willow park so from my understanding it was "special".

They have a lot of events, but as far as anything this big, I would only think once or twice a year tops.

My original post in this thread has a link to their activity calendar.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #51
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did the Willowpark scotch tasting a while ago and it was fantastic. Just like you said, it gives you a very broad range so you can find something you like that you can drink on a regular basis as well as some of the fancier stuff for special occasions.

I like Chivas as a regular scotch as well as Dalwhinnie, Glenlivet is good too.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #52
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm having trouble acquiring a taste for Scotch, which is maybe a good thing. I love Canadian whiskey's (rye), which many consider harsh, but I cannot enjoy a scotch on the rocks the way some people rave about. I've even bought some moderately expensive kinds but have ended up mixing it with coke to dilute the strong bite. Any words of wisdom?
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #53
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Mmmm ... scotch. Thanks for bumping this thread. I'll think I'll go pour one right now. Macallans maybe? Glenrothes? Or maybe just a Glenmorangie? Decisions, decisions.

As for developing a taste for scotch Clarkey, lots of people just don't enjoy scotch and never develop a taste for it. Pity, but that's okay. That leaves more scotch in the world for me and Locke (and CaptainCrunch and Octothorp).

Last edited by Ford Prefect; 05-20-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #54
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd give you more advice but the Single Malt Express left the station hours ago and I havent been seeing straight since.

Macallans is AWESOME. Its got me to where I am right now....proper typing is an illusion.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #55
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
Glen Breton Rare is a nice one about not too expensive at $74 here in NB. Also This is a Canadian Distillery in Cape Breton that uses all of the same techniques from Scotland.

They are actually being sued by the Scotish Whiskey Board or something to trya dn make them take the 'Glen' out of their name.

http://www.glenoradistillery.com/glenbreton.htm
Wouldn't know myself as I think Scotch is equivalent to drinking turpentine but Glen Breton is suppose to be nice stuff. Rumors are Al MacInnis is a major player in that distillery operated by a childhood buddy.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #56
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I'm a raging alkie but have never developed a taste for scotch. If you do like Irish whisky, which imo is basically a mix of whisky and scotch, you need to get some Tullamore Dew. Relatively cheap and it's awesome.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #57
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I'm having trouble acquiring a taste for Scotch, which is maybe a good thing. I love Canadian whiskey's (rye), which many consider harsh, but I cannot enjoy a scotch on the rocks the way some people rave about. I've even bought some moderately expensive kinds but have ended up mixing it with coke to dilute the strong bite. Any words of wisdom?
1. What are you drinking? No scotch is the same, and some stuff will burn you to the ground if you're not accustomed to it. Start off with something light like a Dalwhinnie or something.

2. Scotch on the rocks is sacrilegious! Drink it neat (nothing mixed) or with a touch of water.

If you're starting out, add more water to it to lessen the harsh taste, but make sure the water is room temperature, and filtered if possible.

Personally I put about 5ml of water in and sip it. It'll take me a good 30 minutes to finish 1oz of scotch.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #58
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The sipping part is the problem for me when it comes to Scotch/Whiskey(Irish spelling). I have no problem with the flavor or "kick" but I have never been able to sit and sip a drink. If there is a drink in my hand I am going to drink it!

I went to the Opus hotel bar (can't remember the name) with some coworkers from LA and one of the guys ordered the Macallan 50 year old or 55 year old special edition Scotch. It was $80 or more for a single shot.......I downed it in two gulps! I thought the guy was going to have a heart attack! In my defense I was not there when it was ordered and didn't know what it was but I still felt bad.

I had three drinks while I was there, bottle of Stella, the whisky and some crazy absinthe drink and the bill was over $120. Glad I wasn't paying....
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #59
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm getting into scotch myself and it is definitely something that is an acquired taste. I was told that these 3 brands were good for beginners:

- Oban
- McCallan
- Talisker 10
Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #60
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
I'm getting into scotch myself and it is definitely something that is an acquired taste. I was told that these 3 brands were good for beginners:

- Oban
- McCallan
- Talisker 10
I'm really partial to both Talisker and Oban; Macallan (Or The Macallan, as they prefer) is a good example of highland scotches which are slightly sweeter and milder than other regions; Dalwhinnie is also a good example of this too. It's probably a good starting point for someone familiar with sweeter whiskeys like rye or corn whiskeys. Oban is a West Highlands, and is a little more complex and smoky. Talisker is a classic island scotch and was the first scotch I ever drank (so it's a sentimental favorite for me), but it's not necessarily an easy beginner scotch as it's pretty far into the smoky / salty realm. Definitely the most challenging of the three, though not nearly as much as the peaty scotches from Islay Island.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote