Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #3201
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
The new kia one where the kid has to piss? Wtf?
I actually threw something at the TV. That’s how angry it made me. Is the child meant to be disabled? As in this marketing campaign specifically targets parents of children with development issues? Because that makes me angrier than a child pissing himself. Targeting parents of children who can’t help but soil themselves to purchase a specific vehicle? For real? “Are you the parent of a disabled child? Or do you have children who aren’t disabled but have urinary continence issues nonetheless? Well look no further! THIS is the car for you, my boy!”

It costs about $20k to produce a television commercial. That’s not just one guy acting alone. There’s a whole TEAM of people in on that. From conceptualization, writing, story-boarding, before the first actor is even hired. I’m just saying there were at least a dozen people in on the decision making. And not one of them, not even one, stepped up and said “Is there a better way to persuade people to buy this car that doesn’t involve us showing a child pissing himself?”

*strangled noises of inarticulate rage*
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annasuave For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #3202
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

well it looks like there was some backlash and Hyundai has removed the extra-cringey part where the kid says too late - should have just scrubbed the whole commercial IMHO
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #3203
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Oh ####, that newer one with the guy helping his friend move, and the ####### replies "Hope is not a plan" or whatever the #### he says.

Yeah, well I hope he's done being friends with a prick like you. He didn't ask for your opinion bitch.
The funny part is "the plan" really only got him into a fairly small and ####ty looking apartment.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #3204
trumpethead
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
The Tim Hortons commercial about using an actual egg in your egg sandwich, like a real egg is somehow a revolutionary change lol.
'hand-cracked' egg gets me every time.
trumpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #3205
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
I actually threw something at the TV. That’s how angry it made me. Is the child meant to be disabled? As in this marketing campaign specifically targets parents of children with development issues? Because that makes me angrier than a child pissing himself. Targeting parents of children who can’t help but soil themselves to purchase a specific vehicle? For real? “Are you the parent of a disabled child? Or do you have children who aren’t disabled but have urinary continence issues nonetheless? Well look no further! THIS is the car for you, my boy!”

It costs about $20k to produce a television commercial. That’s not just one guy acting alone. There’s a whole TEAM of people in on that. From conceptualization, writing, story-boarding, before the first actor is even hired. I’m just saying there were at least a dozen people in on the decision making. And not one of them, not even one, stepped up and said “Is there a better way to persuade people to buy this car that doesn’t involve us showing a child pissing himself?”

*strangled noises of inarticulate rage*
I don't think the child is suppose to be disabled. I think they thought it would be funny.

Kid doesn't pee at home, then has to pee once in car.... Hilarious

And then he PEES HIS PANTS- HAHAHAHAH. People will love this

This has surpassed McD's Big Mac commercial as the worst thing to happen to humanity in the last year.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:55 PM   #3206
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Canadian commercials are lower budget and so cringy and lacking any imagination, but I find American commercials even more annoying. They're the media capital of the world and there is too much money in commercial production down there. It turns into this big mess of overproduced, celebrity filled "let's shoot for the moon" style ads with shouting and explosions and overacting.

I find it too overstimulating and in your face for TV breaks.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 01:30 PM   #3207
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have a link to this Kia ad? Curious to see it.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #3208
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hate the Intact commercial where the guy say "Whaaaa" over and over again. When a commercial distracts me with repetitive or loud noises when I'm doing other things while the TV is playing in the background, it really annoys me. Here it is...

Last edited by ben voyonsdonc; 02-22-2021 at 01:37 PM.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #3209
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Anyone have a link to this Kia ad? Curious to see it.

Last edited by ajr4013; 02-22-2021 at 02:36 PM.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajr4013 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #3210
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be honest, I have no idea how anyone can watch that Kia ad and think they are targeting parents of disabled children. I'm sure every parent has experienced a similar scenario of asking your kids if they need to go to the bathroom before you head out, only for them to ask to go to the bathroom as soon as you are out of the house. My kids do this all the time.

Is it odd to use kids soiling themselves to sell cars? Sure I guess. But I'm not really seeing a reason to be outraged here.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 07:16 PM   #3211
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of people hate the Questrade commercials but the Assante commercials during the Flames games are 100 times worse.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #3212
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
A lot of people hate the Questrade commercials but the Assante commercials during the Flames games are 100 times worse.
Hate this commercial. Absolutely hate this one
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:31 AM   #3213
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Lavalife one where the woman is talking about how she likes "taking care of her pup" is getting on my nerves.

Last edited by Inferno; 02-27-2021 at 12:35 AM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #3214
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Harveys commercial with the guy holding the burger up and barking cheezy one liners to the hockey team. Such an annoying voice, that commercial drives me crazy.

also

The BDC commercial with the droning "keep moving on" jingle makes me change the channel every time.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #3215
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethead View Post
'hand-cracked' egg gets me every time.
That and the guy running the drive through saying "Can I do something different with your breakfast sandwich?" in a tone as if he's bending some rules to make this happen.

What happens if the customer says "No, give me the day old fake egg version".
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #3216
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr4013 View Post
In the original we never see the child walking or playing. He’s only ever seen being carried by mum. The shots of the kid in the car show him having criss-crossed chest-straps straps on the booster seat, and shot of the booster seat when the kid says “too late” appears to support his head and neck, as though he has difficulty holding his head up unaided. I thought they were implying the child had neuro-motor issues.

If you take all that out of the equation, and that the kid is meant to be portrayed as a developmentally normal pants-wetter, it’s less offensive - but still cringeworthy.

I agree that kids don’t really think about whether they need to pee when you ask them. That’s just kids being kids. But it’s a dumbass way to advertise a car. I stand by my outrage.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annasuave For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 07:07 PM   #3217
jayswin

Exp:

If we extend this to ads on the internet then it has to be any weight loss/work out ads that do that stupid "you've been told you lose weight by X, WRONG, that's a waste of time!!! blah blah blah.

Just praying on people that struggle to get in shape by trying to shock them into the idea that hard work other people are putting in isn't actually how you do it, "instead watch now for a trick!!". **** off.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 07:09 PM   #3218
jayswin

Exp:

Ripped guy holding a pizza and salad "which one do you think I'm going to be eating tonight? Well, it's certainly not this rabbit food".
Old 03-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #3219
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
well it looks like there was some backlash and Hyundai has removed the extra-cringey part where the kid says too late - should have just scrubbed the whole commercial IMHO
The editing on it is abysmal too. Just an awful idea all around.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #3220
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

dp
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad commercials , bunchowhiners , eww spence diamonds "guy" , eww vagisil , spence sucks , subway sucks , telus sucks