Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2021, 05:49 PM   #261
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Our play in the neutral zone is absolutely crushing this teams ability to generate anything.

- Either our attacking forwards get clogged together along the boards leaving themselves with no options other than to dump it in
- or our puck carrier goes towards the boards and instantly loses space because well, surprise, there's no space there and doesn't make the necessary pass to the open forward and insists on taking the puck over the blue line with a defender easily pinning them against the boards
- or we don't make quick enough passes in the neutral zone
- or we turn it over in the neutral zone while our other forwards are advancing up ice and the opposition gets an odd man rush
- or we are clustered together in the centre of the neutral zone not spreading out the ice
- or we are too slow.

There is such little flow to our game. It looks like this team has to work extremely hard to even get a minute of sustained zone time. That one sequence for Gaudreau, Bennett and Monahan with some consistent zone time generated no shots and was still extremely scattered play.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #262
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Monahan had Murray beat easily but hit the crossbar. But yes, not a lot of chances. Lindy had a great open shot, then chose to skate it further until he had nothing. The Monahan line had a 3-on-2 and didn't get a single shot on net.

The Sens got the puck at the blueline, got traffic in front and scored. It's not rocket science.
You'd think the Flames would look at the tying goal last night and take a hint...

Sometimes you just gotta manufacture garbage goals. If you stay on the perimeter all night, chances are you're not going to generate much if anything.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #263
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
He wasn't great, but he got more effort out of these guys at least and had experience. He also had the least talent to work with of any of the coaches we've had in any of the last 15 years.
I think you missed my point, he wasn't fired prematurely. His coaching style has a short shelf-life. He was fired at the right time.

The hirings afterwards were bad and are the problem.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #264
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
There’s stuff to blame Ward for, but I have a hard time believing he says to only pass around the outside and to take no shots.
Disagree.

This is the offensive zone play you get when you have a coach that preaches too much on not giving the puck away, playing safe, and getting it deep.

You need to take a risk to make a play in the offensive zone and I honestly think this coaching staff has preached that the players take no risk and play everything safe.

Tough to try to make a play if you’re always worried that it could just end up in a turnover, then you just end up cycling the puck back into the corner because it’s the safe play.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #265
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
He wasn't great, but he got more effort out of these guys at least and had experience. He also had the least talent to work with of any of the coaches we've had in any of the last 15 years.
He started off with good talent but they hated him. He had Monahan, Johnny and Brodie, as well as Ferland, when they were still trying to make the team and work up the lineup. They’ve gotten satisfied IMO.

Those same players he motivated quit on him his last year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #266
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glen Gulutzan is probably watching this with smug indignation right now

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #267
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

God I would love Treliving to make a bold coaching change. What a waste of a season.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #268
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am glad they kept the lines the same. It is key to the consistent performance we have seen five on five this season. Going to have to step it up or hope the Sens take a lot of penalties to hope to get this to Overtime.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #269
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

i think all they need is one good play for a shot of confidence. i think they have to be careful of counters but keep pressing.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #270
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Glen Gulutzan is probably watching this with smug indignation right now
More like

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #271
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
Oilers fans are probably killing themselves laughing right now.
Of course they are!

It's fine. We've been laughing at them for years.

This last month of Flames hockey deserves everything it gets. It's been no good. But on the whole, the there's no comparison to the last 14 years of Oilers ineptitude, so we can take it.

Besides, I dont think the SS. No Good has seen its last iceberg this season either. 178 year old Smith is a house of cards holding up that teams hopes. We all know its just a matter of time until he returns to his spin and tumble form.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #272
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post

The "defend Geoff Ward Camp" consists entirely of people saying this core sucks or the team is mentally fragile.

In reality the truth is likely that the core is just average at best talent wise, the coaching is below average and the Flames are mentally fragile.

Which leads to a pretty poor record in a very poor division.

I’m not sure why it has to be just one thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #273
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Disagree.

This is the offensive zone play you get when you have a coach that preaches too much on not giving the puck away, playing safe, and getting it deep.

You need to take a risk to make a play in the offensive zone and I honestly think this coaching staff has preached that the players take no risk and play everything safe.

Tough to try to make a play if you’re always worried that it could just end up in a turnover, then you just end up cycling the puck back into the corner because it’s the safe play.
Well, if you get to make up what they’re being told, sure, you can say they’re being coached to not shoot. How do you explain the turnovers last game, all on risky long range passes?

Not shooting enough is a gripping the stick issue. These guys aren’t tough.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #274
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

The good news is that not only is Ward hockey not entertaining or a winning strategy, but it is actively destroying the value of our players for when we make changes.

Everything is coming up Milhouse.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #275
blazingZepplin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I miss butt clinching games take you out of your seat games... This is more like diarrhea
blazingZepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #276
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
God I would love Treliving to make a bold coaching change. What a waste of a season.
He can go with the coach. He bet on this coach as his third hire. He's screwed up every one and has a weak roster out there. Enough of the process, it's time for a new hand at the wheel.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #277
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is the least entertaining hockey I have ever watched.

I would much prefer high-pace hockey with scoring chances galore knowing the Flames are going to miss the playoffs than whatever this garbage is merely hoping the Flames can squeak into the first round and steal a game or two.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #278
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
MOD EDIT: Removed inappropriate language.

If the Flames keep playing this way, this might become a full time job for the mods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #279
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He can go with the coach. He bet on this coach as his third hire. He's screwed up every one and has a weak roster out there. Enough of the process, it's time for a new hand at the wheel.
I think he should be made to coach this mess.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #280
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love seeing these former flames greats on intermission, Brower...wow wonderful. Whats Neal doing in a few years? Was Marchment busy?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote