Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2021, 09:09 PM   #341
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petert View Post
I would take Hartley's hockey over the boring crap from Gulutzan and Ward any day, ok, maybe minus the 2nd season Hiller part.
Keep in mind that's also part Treliving's faults too with the whole 3 goalies situation.

It's funny watching people still screaming "unsustainable" hockey Treliving style, and apparently we have been soooooo successful with Treliving "sustainable" hockey?
Fact, Hartley actually got a system in place to suit our players, and we had the most success since 04.
The same cannot be said for every single coach afterwards who were all brought in by Treliving.

Winning a round in playoffs, 18 goals Sam Bennett matter, "sustainable hockey" my ass.
Fact: that same system saw the Flames finish #26 in the NHL the following season.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:09 PM   #342
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
In fact, Hartley had less regular season success than any of the coaches afterwards. Great, he won a series. At the end of the day, 3 more PO games won than Ward. Who probably wished he was playing Vancouver and Eddie Lack and not Khudobin/Bishop and the team that went to the finals.
Yeah, Hartley is the only Flames coach since the young guns days and Daryl's first full season who got to coach a team with no expectations of being at least a playoff team. When his teams had any expectation on them...they were bad. When there was no pressure like a lot of plucky underdogs they over achieved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:16 PM   #343
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Yeah, Hartley is the only Flames coach since the young guns days and Daryl's first full season who got to coach a team with no expectations of being at least a playoff team. When his teams had any expectation on them...they were bad. When there was no pressure like a lot of plucky underdogs they over achieved.
The weirdest thing about that season was that whenever Hartley went with one goalie or another they went on a heater. Including against the Canucks.

Of course that series win was actually on Sutter and his trade of Phaneuf.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:30 PM   #344
Petert
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
In fact, Hartley had less regular season success than any of the coaches afterwards. Great, he won a series. At the end of the day, 3 more PO games won than Ward. Who probably wished he was playing Vancouver and Eddie Lack and not Khudobin/Bishop and the team that went to the finals.
What are you even talking about?
You really just like to argue for the sake of arguing, especially when it comes to twisting the narrative for existing Flames' management.

People like you seem to think that Canucks team was a complete pushover for some reason.
During the 14-15 season, the Ducks finished 1st in Pacific with 109 pts, 7 pts ahead of the Canucks at 101 pts.
The Ducks went on to the conference finals before losing to the Blackhawks in 7 games.

Hartley also "wished" he didn't play again those Ducks with prime Getzlaf and Perry, lol, "wished".

Fact, Hartley is a far better coach than Gulutzan and Ward, combined.
Strictly coaching wise, I like post-ASG Peters too, but he somehow completely changed his successful system.

It's not a coincident that we found the most success when we have NHL caliber coaches, which other than Hartley, traced all the way back to 04 Darryl, and to a certain extend, Peters.

Treliving failed, big time, when it comes to his coaching selections.
Let's not even bring up his horrific list of UFA signings.

Hartley:
14-15, 97pts, 3rd in Pacific
15-16, 77pts, 5th in Pacific, the infamous Hiller year, missed playoffs

Gulutzan:
16-17, 94pts, 4th in Pacific
17-18, 84pts, 5th in Pacific, missed playoffs

Peters:
18-19, 107pts, 1st in Pacific
19-20, 79pts in 70 games, 4th in Pacific, Ward replaced Peters mid-season
Petert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #345
Petert
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Fact: that same system saw the Flames finish #26 in the NHL the following season.
https://www.hockey-reference.com/tea...6.html#goalies

But sure, let's blame Hartley instead.
Hiller sucked, big time.
Petert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #346
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

What am I talking about? Hartley’s regular season record is just not as good. It’s not twisting - it’s a fact.

And the Canucks were terrible in the POs - their goaltending fell apart for one thing. 101 points wasn’t that great that year: 8 teams had that record or better. The Canucks had only two guys with 20 goals and one was Vrbata. In the run up to the POs every Flames fan was hoping for the Canucks. The Flames had the lowest points of any PO team, yet got to play the team with the 4th lowest points because the Pacific was so crappy that Vancouver could take second with only 101.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:42 PM   #347
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.hockey-reference.com/tea...6.html#goalies

But sure, let's blame Hartley instead.
Hiller sucked, big time.
Fun fact: Ramo played more, and their wins v losses were still crap.

ETA: I guess Hartley couldn’t motivate Hiller to play like he did the year before. Bad coach.

Last edited by GioforPM; 02-23-2021 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #348
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Fact
I am reasonably convinced that you have no idea what this word means.

Quote:
Hartley is a far better coach than Gulutzan and Ward, combined.
How does this even work?

Quote:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:48 PM   #349
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only a fanbase as abused as this one would downplay actual results (you know, like playoff round wins) in favour of some theoretical proper blueprint that has yet to even match let alone exceed that result. Let me know when someone actually outdoes Hartley's achievement. Until then, he's the best coach to have been behind the bench here under Treliving.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:48 PM   #350
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
The problem is that the lineup is completely flawed. Half of the forwards are comprised of players that can't handle the puck in traffic, can't snipe a goal, and players who typically shy away from physical play.

There is not a single true trigger man or shooter that can make things happen. Gaudreau's single best option is a garbage man (Monahan) who is useless outside the blue paint, and Bennett who can't even process what to do on the ice with skill players.

This is on the GM 100%. If the team is supposed to be successful by committee, you've got to at least assemble a deep team of competent players to do it.

I think this is because Treliving initially banked on Johnny and Monahan being top line guys; It became evident when we have made the playoffs that those two are missing some useful attributes. I recall D.Sutter talking about playoffs; Wearing the other teams defensemen down in a long grinding series through speed and physicality. Obviously Treliving went back to those two, but last season we saw management tinkering with a different top line. The problem as I see it; Our top line has to be the most consistent and driven line that can match, or outlast the other teams top lines (Especially in the playoffs).

How do we fix this? We are not going to acquire an elite player unless, either through a high draft selection, or through a bold trade. A trade where we give the other team what they want, to get what we want. I think the current strategy has been to add skilled players throughout all 4 lines. Unfortunately this core has consistency issues.

I guess if it is not doable on the top lines, we need a playoff built big, fast, hard hitting forth line.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 02-23-2021 at 09:51 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:51 PM   #351
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Only a fanbase as abused as this one would downplay actual results (you know, like playoff round wins) in favour of some theoretical proper blueprint that has yet to even match let alone exceed that result. Let me know when someone actually outdoes Hartley's achievement. Until then, he's the best coach to have been behind the bench here under Treliving.
So good that he graduated to the mighty KHL, nary again to grace the door of a NHL dressing room. with his exalted presence.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:52 PM   #352
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So good that he graduated to the mighty KHL, nary again to grace the door of a NHL dressing room. with his exalted presence.

Irrelevant to my point. Still waiting to hear about who has done better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:53 PM   #353
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Irrelevant to my point. Still waiting to hear about who has done better.
Irrelevant to his actual abilities as a NHL coach.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:54 PM   #354
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hartley has 3 more PO wins for Calgary than Ward. In 4 seasons to Hartley’s one. Unless you count Ward’s play in win. It’s really not that huge.

Meanwhile, every coach since Hartley has a better regular season winning percentage.

Hartley was a bad NHL coach, which is why he’s in Siberia.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:56 PM   #355
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are arguing about which pile of stinks the least.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:56 PM   #356
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The bar for being better than Treliving’s other coaches is absurdly low however.

I wouldn’t want Hartley coaching my team but the poster might be right about him being better than the other jokers simply by virtue of his achievement.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:58 PM   #357
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hartley has 3 more PO wins for Calgary than Ward. In 4 seasons to Hartley’s one. Unless you count Ward’s play in win. It’s really not that huge.

Meanwhile, every coach since Hartley has a better regular season winning percentage.

Hartley was a bad NHL coach, which is why he’s in Siberia.
I never said it was huge. I said it was a better result. And it was. 3 more games or not, he went further into the playoffs. That's better, at least for most people.
Which year of playoffs under Treliving's tenure did you enjoy most?

Old 02-23-2021, 09:58 PM   #358
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The bar for being better than Treliving’s other coaches is absurdly low however.
Oh, I agree with you about that. And yet, Hartley is still the worst of the bunch.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #359
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if I grant you guys that Hartley was a horrendous coach (I'm not granting you that, but let's just go there), the fact that none of the other coaches could outdo him with much better teams speaks volumes about their quality.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 10:05 PM   #360
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never said it was huge. I said it was a better result. And it was. 3 more games or not, he went further into the playoffs. That's better, at least for most people.
Which year of playoffs under Treliving's tenure did you enjoy most?
I enjoyed both the Vancouver win, but not the spanking by the Ducks, and the play-in under Ward, which sure felt like POs to me.

It’s funny how Hiller is at fault for Hartley’s last year but that doesn’t apply to coaches who had Mike Smith or a Brian Elliott/Chad Johnson combo, or had Talbot let a puck in with seconds to go and lost a 3-1 stranglehold against Dallas (who went to the Cup Finals).