Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2021, 12:51 AM   #1
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Tin Star, Amazon Prime

Did a search and nothing came up which doesn't make since as it's filmed in southern Alberta mostly in High River

Only a few eps in but very good so far IMO, 2 seasons on Prime
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:47 AM   #2
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, 124 views and not a word! has nobody seen this?

Anyway, now on ep 7 and it's great
Old 01-21-2021, 06:39 AM   #3
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It’s on my list but haven’t got around to watching it yet. Thanks for the reminder.
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:39 AM   #4
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I watched and really enjoyed season 1. Probably because I was living in the states at the time and it was my little piece of home while I lived abroad.

I couldn't for some reason get into season 2. I found the first couple of episodes to be extremely slow.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:46 AM   #5
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I watched and really enjoyed season 1. Probably because I was living in the states at the time and it was my little piece of home while I lived abroad.

I couldn't for some reason get into season 2. I found the first couple of episodes to be extremely slow.
Yeah season 2 was slow starting but it gets really crazy and even twisted, shouldn't be missed.

Season 3 soon on Prime
Old 02-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #6
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I will try to give it a go again. I watched the first half of episode 1 and I wasn't really hooked.

Something off about the actors or the writing or something. It seems filmed and scripted like an overdone CBC series from the early 2000s plus swearing.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #7
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Started watching this based on reading this thread yesterday- Love the scenery and trying to guess where everything was filmed- I like Tim Roth and it seems dark and violent so I'll keep going- Based on the "Evil Oil" premise, the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this show is why Kenney took away the Alberta filming incentives
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #8
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found season one to be a little over the top, but still entertaining. It's always a kick seeing local places like the Kananaskis Dam and Moose Mountain on film. The town of Little Big Bear is basically main street High River with the mountains of Waterton Lakes National Park superimposed in the background.

I think I watched the first episode of season two and found it pretty meh so didn't bother with the rest. Maybe I'll give it another try.

I did find the whole cycle of "mild mannered Englishman regularly consumes insane amounts of alcohol to transform into a cross between Mr. Hyde and Rambo" to be really stupid. And the wife's whole "one minute I hate you, next minute I'm encouraging you to do bad things, then I hate you again when you do them" schtick got on my nerves as well. Honestly I just didn't find any of the main characters to be particularly likeable.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Bumped into Christina Hendricks going out to walk her dog a few times while she was living downtown to film the series.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:54 PM   #10
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Bumped into Christina Hendricks going out to walk her dog a few times while she was living downtown to film the series.
That would be quite a titillating experience!

Beautiful woman. One of my favourites.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:32 PM   #11
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just watched episode 1 of this, will not be continuing. I like a few of the actors in the show (Tim Roth, Christina Hendricks, and Christopher Heyerdahl) but many of the characters felt boring and very simple... 1D characters, nearly no likable characters in the whole group.
The whole big bad oil company ruining our perfect small town was boring. And maybe I'm taking crazy pills but does episode one take place over 1 year? I swear they start at the driving away scene then do a flashback to 1 year ago. Then like 5 things happen and we're back to the driving away scene, like that was a whole year?
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #12
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just finished season 1. Watching mostly for the Waterton and High River scenery, its really great! Lots of Calgary content as well.

The story line seems really messed up, but I will stick it out. They certainly have done a good job of making you dislike the main character.

I do agree with an earlier poster who felt a CBC production vibe. I mostly get that when the local yokel cops are in a scene. Its kinda weird, also has a bit of a Fargo vibe.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote