Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #761
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Well what exactly even makes a “good” coach?
That's a great question, because players don't really know until they've had a good one to contrast against the bad ones. Let me start by saying what common behaviors the good coaches that I had held in common.

First and foremost, the coach established the system or framework the team would work under. Whether it was hockey or baseball the coach determined the team philosophy and the systems under which the team would run. The coach established how we were to make certain plays and it was up to us to execute. The systemic nature of things was important as players had to be in certain parts of the ice or field to make plays work. When the system broke down, so did the play and efficacy of the team. The good coaches adapted the systems to the strengths of the players. If a team was fast, the systems would rely on speed to keep the opposition on their heels. If the team was big, the coach would rely on a heavy power game. If the team was not offensively gifted the team would play tight defense and make the opposition earn its goals or runs. The system made the team successful. A poor system ultimately led to no success and a lot of dissatisfaction on the roster.

Secondly the coach is responsible for setting the lineup. This is a what makes the team tick. If you can't match the talent on the team together or find the right slots for them in the lineup, you're not going to be successful. Line combinations are extremely important in hockey, which we are all to often aware of. In baseball it is the batting order and the defensive lineup. When a coach screws up here the results are quite obvious. When you play a 4th line player up the lineup it can be disruptive to the success of the team. When you have a batter in the wrong slot you can put a top to run production before it gets started. Finding where players can be successful the best and helping the team win is the most crucial responsibility day-to-day.

Thirdly, the coach must be able to focus and prepare the team for the game ahead. Provide the players with information that will allow them to break down the other team. This team likes to rely on a 2-1-2 or a trap at the blueline, here is the best strategies to defeat that system. This goaltender has this behavior and is weak in this area. This player is the straw that stirs the drink, so we're going to pay more attention to him, or this guy is all pass so we're going to make him shoot. Conversely, these guys are strong on this side so we're going to change our breakout to come out the opposite side of the ice, of their defensemen love to pinch so we're going to chip off the boards to center ice and trap them up ice. Providing information to the players about what they are about to face is all about preparation.

Fourthly, the coach is supposed to be an observer and a teacher. They are the second set of eyes to help players notice weaknesses in their game or bad habits that may be forming. A guy is struggling to get the shot off because of his body positioning, or a batter who is hitting fly balls because of a lazy elbow, the coach is expected to be that extra set of eyes and notice these small things that can right slumping players. Coaches are students of the game and they are also teachers of the game.

Fifthly, the coach is to be a motivator. This is the hardest part for a lot of coaches as motivation is mostly driven from inside the individual. The coach's job is to help find ways that help that plyer self-motivate. Whether it be praise, a challenge, discipline, embarrassment, or intrinsic methods, the coach can be a big part in motivating the individual and club.

These are the most important characteristics that stood out for me with the coaches I've had. These are the ones I've had success under and the ones I've enjoyed being being part of the games I've loved. I suspect you'd get different responses from different athletes, but I think this is a good place to start.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #762
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You just know if Treliving gets another hire it will be John Hynes. He’s everything Treliving looks for in a coaching candidate.
If this team fires Ward only to hire John Hynes then I’m done with this team I think.

Maybe I’ll just cut my losses and will become a Flyers fan. They suck too but generally play entertaining hockey at least and Gritty makes me laugh.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:40 PM   #763
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

"The deal With Geoff Ward"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
If this team fires Ward only to hire John Hynes then I’m done with this team I think.

Maybe I’ll just cut my losses and will become a Flyers fan. They suck too but generally play entertaining hockey at least and Gritty makes me laugh.
I'm genuinely watching Sabres hockey as a fan of that team because the Flames suck too much to be fully invested from an emotional perspective. It is amazing that the !@#$show in Buffalo is more enjoyable than Flames hockey this season.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #764
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Geoff Ward hockey might be the cure to insomnia
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #765
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

I don’t get to see enough Flyers. Sportsnet seems to play a lot of Bruins games out of the east teams

Do the Flyers suck? All I know is they are 9-4-3
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:48 PM   #766
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I don’t get to see enough Flyers. Sportsnet seems to play a lot of Bruins games out of the east teams

Do the Flyers suck? All I know is they are 9-4-3
Alain Vigneault teams are always fun to watch. Think Hartley hockey with more possession

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #767
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Alain Vigneault teams are always fun to watch. Think Hartley hockey with more possession
Yeah I forgot that’s where he was. I would’ve liked to have seen Vigneault here
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:16 PM   #768
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting caved in by the worst team in the league?

Maybe the Flames are the worst team in the league?

I'm thinking no, they're not, but maybe they need a better coach to finish out the season at least.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #769
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #770
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly you got to fire him and try to salvage the season. Can't trade players effectively this season with quarantine, etc.., so you're not going to get the value you might get in the offseason. At least bringing in a new coach, you can say to the team that the new coach is not the next one to go, so take a look in the mirror. Maybe a new coach squeezes something out of the players that Ward just isn't right now.

Ward's system does not suit this team. They do not play in the middle of the ice at all. It's all shots from the point looking for tips, and no creativity. His tentative one man forecheck is just not working, and the team can't generate shots.

Time to make a change Brad.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #771
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Bergevin said he fired Julien as he saw signs of how the team was playing during their two major losing streaks the year before.

You have to think that Treliving sees the writing on the wall, but if his fate is already tied to Ward, who makes the call?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 07:02 PM   #772
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Bergevin said he fired Julien as he saw signs of how the team was playing during their two major losing streaks the year before.

You have to think that Treliving sees the writing on the wall, but if his fate is already tied to Ward, who makes the call?
Fire them both asap, and start the work on finding a new GM, and figure out the new full time coach in the offseason.

These blowout loses for the Flames are gonna be more frequent than not. At least start the process on the future of the franchise sooner rather than later.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #773
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great job by Ward managing to burn out both goalies by game 20.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:19 PM   #774
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Great job by Ward managing to burn out both goalies by game 20.
It really was done with amazing efficiency.

Play the starter 16 of 18, burning him out physically.

Play the back-up 2 of 18, letting him rot on the bench - and then throw him to the friggin' wolves because you physically broke the starter.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #775
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well as Bergevin would say... "the team needs a new voice"
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #776
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pending an unreal comeback, they have been blown out in 3 of the last 5 games, 2 of those to bottom 5 teams in the league. If he isn't fired in the next 24, it is not happening this year.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #777
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He's bad, folks! Very bad! Many people are saying it. Many smart people are saying it more and more. His team, they can't score. The players, so static! Standing around the perimeter hoping to find a goal. His defence, always backing up, letting the other team across the line. No resistance! We need to build a wall at our blue line. We can't just let these bad guys into our zone so easily. We need a new coach, who can build a beautiful wall. And Edmonton's gonna pay for it!

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theinfinitejar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #778
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

Treliving is in a tough spot because he tied himself to this wagon. He got a free pass after the Peters situation. If he had hired a decent coach and got the same results, most would be asking for changes to the core but still supporting Treliving; Which might have made his job a bit more secure! Right now if the season goes south it is a tough situation to recover from!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #779
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Geoff Ward hockey might be the cure to insomnia
So soothing

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:31 PM   #780
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

That would be kinda interesting if they had a whole crew of guys ready to replace the whole friggin coaching/management team and they haven't said anything because they're all about to get out of quarantine and they needed someone to coach until then because they're firing EVERYONE.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post: