Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Old 02-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #10761
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

A buddy (in Edmonton) got on ‘easily’ today and booked his parents first jab March 9 so maybe there are new dates released
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #10762
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Talked to my mom last night. She had given up on trying to phone and was currently waiting in line on the website. She had spent most of the day trying unsuccessfully to get on. Not sure how she made out, I have not heard from her today but so far it's been a strike out. That said, compared to some other provinces it is quite promising here. My wife talked to her mom (Regina) and aunt (Toronto) last night. Both in their early 70's and her dad is in his early 80's. Ontario says maybe July if things go well and Saskatchewan says don't call us, we'll call you when your appointment is so no idea on when her parents can expect their vaccination. My dad (late 70's) is in Manitoba and it's been crickets for them as well as to what the proposed roll out is.

Edit:

She just emailed me. She was unsuccessful last night but tried again this morning and got an appointment no problem. March 12 / April 17. Only downside is the location is about an hour away and on the opposite side of Edmonton from where she lives. Not a deal breaker. Ironically the local hospital in the town she lives in (2 minutes from her house) was listed as a site as well but there was no way to choose that site.

Last edited by Lubicon; 02-25-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #10763
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
A buddy (in Edmonton) got on ‘easily’ today and booked his parents first jab March 9 so maybe there are new dates released
There would be a lot less panic and frustration around this if they'd provide some visibility into how the system is setup. Do they release, say, bookings for the 9th on the 25th, bookings for the 10th on the 26th? If people knew it was only a one day delay, they wouldn't have wasted hours crashing the website. But if it's a one and done for awhile system, then yes, everyone tries at once. This shouldn't be difficult information to communicate, and would reduce anxiety.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #10764
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
. My dad (late 70's) is in Manitoba and it's been crickets for them as well as to what the proposed roll out is.

Manitoba seems to be going all in on healthcare workers, dental workers, clinics and hospitals etc- way moreso than here

as for general population currently officially only 95 and older (!?!) unless First Nations

having said that- my father in law apparently called and got slots (several weeks away ) for him and his wife (early to mid 80s) and mentioned his friend could book himself (85) but not his wife (83). now, I'll believe it when he shows up and gets vaccinated but it almost seems like luck of the draw who you get on the phone when you try and book (they have a smaller number of large vaccination sites there)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #10765
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Worst take ever.

We should remember everything we are taking away from these teenagers is done for the benefit of other people. On a statistical level, this virus isn't hurting them it is hurting others. They won't get the half year of education back, they wont get the missed grads, or sports events back this things are fleeting and even if you try to replicate them it is not the same experience.

You will see ripple effects for years to come, pro sports players 16-25 years old right now, will probably have much longer than normal careers because of lack of competition coming up behind them. Mature college enrollment might displace some youth enrollment because junior and high school students today will leave school less prepared. These kids are probably going to be entering a work force facing simultaneous inflation and stagnant employment numbers, that will make their prospects of supporting themselves even worse that those that millennials face over the past 13 years.

All of this to protect other people, it doesn't take away from the experience of others, but we shouldn't minimize these effects, and we should remember the service that our teenagers are being force to provide for our parents.
My post I was only pointing out that Blankall's claim that not being able to hit the bars and having to delay moving out for university temporarily (specifically those examples) would somehow result in permanent psychological scarring is over the top. Nice of you to build an entire straw man out of that.

I know they've sacrificed, just like everyone else has. I don't have a problem with the CBC story of their laments. I remain optimistic about their resiliency, which apparently many people don't agree.

I just reserve my greatest sympathies for those who've died or have lost loved ones. Those who've risked their health to care for the sick or provide essential services. Those who've taken hits to their ability to provide for themselves and their families.

Right now your concerns for the youth are mostly theoretical and I truly hope it will translate into action if they do need help down the line, and that your first priority won't be the Flames pipeline.
comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to comrade For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 11:04 AM   #10766
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Got it to work, n/m

Last edited by Suave; 02-25-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #10767
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was chatting with my friend yesterday and he told me that his parents are going for a vaccination today. I was pretty surprised because of all the issues that have been talked about. I assumed his sister booked their appointments because they are old and not tech savvy but he said his mom was able to actually get on the system and do it herself.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #10768
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just booked my neighbors in for their vaccinations. March 13. She was so frustrated yesterday trying to get through and she's not completely dumb about technology (she has an iphone!). What a mess.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vegasbound For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:59 PM   #10769
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbound View Post
Just booked my neighbors in for their vaccinations. March 13. She was so frustrated yesterday trying to get through and she's not completely dumb about technology (she has an iphone!). What a mess.
Some would argue that this statement is contradictory.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #10770
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

Site worked first crack for me today and I got both my parents booked. Feels good.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #10771
agulati
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Couple of new variants based out of the states. Not sure if already discussed here

California variant
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/24/world...ntl/index.html

New York Variant
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/25/healt...ity/index.html
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #10772
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

"High Oxygen Requirements" in both of these new variants.....great.
GoinAllTheWay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #10773
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
"High Oxygen Requirements" in both of these new variants.....great.
fwiw in both articles where that is mentioned, it is referring to the California variant.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #10774
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it does...thanks.
GoinAllTheWay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:02 PM   #10775
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Site worked first crack for me today and I got both my parents booked. Feels good.
Do they have to travel very far to get the vaccines?
Old 02-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #10776
agulati
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Covid-19 update

399 new cases
8 new deaths
280 Hospitalizations (-27)
56 ICU (Same)
195572 Vaccine doses (+9000)
80620 Fully immunized (+326)
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #10777
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Covid-19 update

399 new cases
8 new deaths
280 Hospitalizations (-27)
56 ICU (Same)
195572 Vaccine doses (+9000)
80620 Fully immunized (+326)
That is a massive drop in hospitalization.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:23 PM   #10778
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Do they have to travel very far to get the vaccines?
Nope.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:39 PM   #10779
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

400 cases a day scare me..
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:42 PM   #10780
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definitely a mixed bag of stats today. Lagging indicators are down, but cases are up.
Calgary and Edmonton have cases dropping, but the North Region is rocketing up in case counts.