Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #1121
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I wondering if a bunch of the progressives that are leaving will enter provincial level politics to take on the UCP in a couple of years?

/speculation

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:50 AM   #1122
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Since some of the folks in this thread are obviously pretty plugged in to municipal affairs, is anyone familiar with the prior work of Marilyn North Peigan? She's running in Ward 7 and I'm favourably impressed by her prior experience. She has done a bunch of work with/for the city already so may well be known to some of you.

https://www.calgarypolicecommission....-north-peigan/
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:18 PM   #1123
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Yes. Mike Nickel. And he's a complete and utter moron, and most people know it. He's toast.
There is an written rule (often written into a code of conduct) that once a vote is taken no one is to attempt to undercut that decision. Nickel does it all the time to appeal to his base. Kerry Diotte did same thing when he was on council and also took a shot at mayor and lost. I look forward suffering the same fate. I have a friend on Edmonton council and they can’t stand the moron. Everyone looks forward to Nickel getting kicked to the curb on the election.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:20 PM   #1124
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Mayor Nenshi has been putting off announcing that he won't run for as long as possible so as not to be considered a lame duck. The filing deadline is not until September 20, but it is obvious to anyone who follows politics that he hasn't had any intention of running again ever since the last election.

Carra is in a similar boat, and I expect him to announce his retirement in the next few weeks. His wife ran his original campaign in 2010 and would make a great candidate, but I doubt she has any intention of running as she does far better with less headaches in her private sector job.
I think the mayor should announce early so others can make their decisions.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #1125
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey there is no chance Farkbutt is going to win the mayorship right?

That means no more Jeremy in council for 4 years!
Old 02-26-2021, 09:59 AM   #1126
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I f--king hope not.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #1127
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I believe Stephen Carter is also Jyoti Gondek's campaign manager. I'm betting Nenshi isn't running for re-election.
So where is Nenshi going?

I can't see him going back to teaching at Mount Royal.

As much as I would like for him to be our Premier, I want him to run for PM with all those weak sauce leaders in the 3 parties.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #1128
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As much as I would like for him to be our Premier, I want him to run for PM with all those weak sauce leaders in the 3 parties.
If he doesn't run, my guess would be in the short term, he'd join some corporate boards and buy time until he figures out what's next for him. I think he's always liked the idea of running a not-for-profit organization. I could also see him jumping back into politics at some point, but probably not right away.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #1129
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:

I'd hazard to guess he's going to explore his options back in consulting or academia, and give politics a break for a bit for a lower profile chapter in his career. If he does jump back in, I would imagine he'd go for a centrist movement in Alberta (not specifically the NDP) or for a Liberal Party push in Ottawa. He has a very strong understanding of politics beyond municipal matters.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #1130
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'd hazard to guess he's going to explore his options back in consulting or academia, and give politics a break for a bit for a lower profile chapter in his career. If he does jump back in, I would imagine he'd go for a centrist movement in Alberta (not specifically the NDP) or for a Liberal Party push in Ottawa. He has a very strong understanding of politics beyond municipal matters.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him running for the NDP in the next provincial election, or for the Liberals in the next Federal election. At the very least, I'm sure both the provincial NDP and federal Libs are gonna/have been courting him for the next election.

In Alberta, the NDP really is the centrist party, so he would likely fit there.

In the right part of Calgary, he'd be a pretty strong candidate for the NDP, and I think the federal Liberals might think the same thing. If you want a Liberal candidate with a chance in Calgary, he just might be your guy.

That being said, I also wouldn't be surprised to see him get right out of politics either.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #1131
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see him running for the NDP in the next provincial election, or for the Liberals in the next Federal election. At the very least, I'm sure both the provincial NDP and federal Libs are gonna/have been courting him for the next election.

In Alberta, the NDP really is the centrist party, so he would likely fit there.

In the right part of Calgary, he'd be a pretty strong candidate for the NDP, and I think the federal Liberals might think the same thing. If you want a Liberal candidate with a chance in Calgary, he just might be your guy.

That being said, I also wouldn't be surprised to see him get right out of politics either.
I like where your head is at, although I would tend to think that unless Rachel Notley takes him to a brainwashing summit, he will avoid the NDP brand - provincial or federal. I guess it would really come down how much he values the NDP's place as a legitimate option with centrist ambitions.

Personally I think he has far more appeal at the federal level, where a guy like him could easily win the hearts of BC, Ontario and the East Coast. That plays well into the Liberal brand, especially as the Cons are going down a route of neoliberalism which I don't think he aligns with.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #1132
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm more pessimistic.

Bill Smith got 44% of the vote in, what I believe, was in large part a not-Nenshi vote. I think if you asked specifics of people voting for Smith many of them would not be able to tell you much. I'm not entirely convinced people realized he was different than the Edmonton mayor.

Farkas will get nearly all of those not-Nenshi votes. He'll have the backing of the Manning centre with all their 'conservatives' and property developers. That's likely going to be a million dollars of funding he will receive, like Smith did last time (compared to the 600k of Nenshi), for his campaign.

He also has name recognition, which a lot of it is bad, but he has claimed the anti-establishment reputation on council due to his grandstanding antics. So even though he's pretty much the definition of "the establishment" a lot of people fed up with city council will vote for him.

I don't doubt that he would lose to Nenshi, but I think without Nenshi he could get the most votes with 'vote-splitting' if he can still receive 40% of the votes, maybe 35% to Gondek and another candidate or two taking the remaining votes (much like Nenshi's first win where he got under 40%).

At least with the Flames getting their arena they will be less likely to back someone so blatantly like they did Smith last election.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #1133
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I'm more pessimistic.

Bill Smith got 44% of the vote in, what I believe, was in large part a not-Nenshi vote. I think if you asked specifics of people voting for Smith many of them would not be able to tell you much. I'm not entirely convinced people realized he was different than the Edmonton mayor.

Farkas will get nearly all of those not-Nenshi votes. He'll have the backing of the Manning centre with all their 'conservatives' and property developers. That's likely going to be a million dollars of funding he will receive, like Smith did last time (compared to the 600k of Nenshi), for his campaign.

He also has name recognition, which a lot of it is bad, but he has claimed the anti-establishment reputation on council due to his grandstanding antics. So even though he's pretty much the definition of "the establishment" a lot of people fed up with city council will vote for him.

I don't doubt that he would lose to Nenshi, but I think without Nenshi he could get the most votes with 'vote-splitting' if he can still receive 40% of the votes, maybe 35% to Gondek and another candidate or two taking the remaining votes (much like Nenshi's first win where he got under 40%).

At least with the Flames getting their arena they will be less likely to back someone so blatantly like they did Smith last election.
I agree with Oling. I would put his odds at the same as whomever the other perceived front runner might be.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:54 PM   #1134
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I think Farkas loses to Gondek but could beat a Nenshi-Gondek split.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #1135
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

All any candidate would have to do is point to Farkas’ record on council. What did he do?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:58 PM   #1136
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand the pessimism because of lack of faith in the electorate, but unlike Smith, Farkas does have a record to reference upon, and his time as a council was #### all, and just be noisy. Don't think there was any positive press about him that can make lots of people in the whole city their preferred choice.

It'll likely be close since new blood means a wide open field, but as long as no other strong candidate tosses their hat in, then Jyoti is the strong forerunner at this point.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #1137
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Calgary Sun Comment Section Consortium (CSCSC) is behind Farkas 100%, so that weighs this heavily in his favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #1138
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is Nenshi’s French? He’d need that for federal leadership I would think. If he just went for a riding he could take Calgary Centre pretty easily I think.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #1139
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
How is Nenshi’s French? He’d need that for federal leadership I would think. If he just went for a riding he could take Calgary Centre pretty easily I think.
Fluent
Old 02-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #1140
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Fluent
No, he feels fine.

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat