Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #1
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Win 10 BSOD "Memory_Management" Code

My gaming rig is 7+ years old.

Has worked like a charm all these years, until last year it would randomly just shut off. Didn't matter the application, it would just shut off. Tried a few things and ultimately changed the PSU and had no problems since.

Fast forward to a week or two ago, and I get the Blue Screen of Death, and an error code "Memory_Management". Computer restarts, and works fine for anywhere between 20 mins to 12 hours.

Googled some fixes and it says go to safe mode and uninstall your antivirus. I didn't do safemode but I uninstalled my anti-virus and it's still happening.

There's no rhyme or reason to when I get the BSOD, but I sense it mostly happens when I'm on browser.

Any hints would be helpful. I was hoping to delay building a new one until the summer when crap calms down with the new GPUs but alas.

*Sad 750Ti noises*
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
My gaming rig is 7+ years old.

Has worked like a charm all these years, until last year it would randomly just shut off. Didn't matter the application, it would just shut off. Tried a few things and ultimately changed the PSU and had no problems since.

Fast forward to a week or two ago, and I get the Blue Screen of Death, and an error code "Memory_Management". Computer restarts, and works fine for anywhere between 20 mins to 12 hours.

Googled some fixes and it says go to safe mode and uninstall your antivirus. I didn't do safemode but I uninstalled my anti-virus and it's still happening.

There's no rhyme or reason to when I get the BSOD, but I sense it mostly happens when I'm on browser.

Any hints would be helpful. I was hoping to delay building a new one until the summer when crap calms down with the new GPUs but alas.

*Sad 750Ti noises*
Not a proper fix, but a more practical approach.

I don't know if it's a good idea to suggest this... but use a registry cleaner? (ie: CCleaner).

If that doesn't work, when was your windows 10 installed? The OS could be full of messed up legacy code and other stuff. I wonder if nabbing yourself a cheap 250 or 500 GB SSD and then doing a fresh install (You could try and grab a windows 7 or 8 code, install that and then upgrade to windows 10 for free) and see if the rig is stable. It would probably take you an entire day to install, get drivers, download updates, upgrade, fresh reinstall programs, tweak.

You could reset your current drive, but I wouldn't suggest that, because if the issues persist, then it's all for nothing because a new drive and fresh install getting the same error would mean it's a hardware issue.

Many browsers allow you to sync passwords etc., so in theory you could seamlessly hop onto a fresh install without too many issues and just browse the internet in general after logging in while you wait on updates and installations to complete.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #3
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over seven years? Yeah, I'd say you're probably in dying memory territory.

Run the free version of this: https://www.memtest86.com/

My rig was five years old and two of my four DIMMs were reporting something like 10,000 errors in the first three minutes of testing. Removing the defective ones and leaving the other two resulted in a dramatic improvement. That should at least buy you time.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it an MSI rig? They were notorious for the BSOD and basically the solution was a clran install of Windows and install the MSI software.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's an ASUS rig. I'll try some of the suggestions here then report back to the group.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #6
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you dug around the Event Viewer to see what the critical errors were prior to the BSOD occuring? There might be something in there that seems mundane but could be a clue.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:49 PM   #7
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Over seven years? Yeah, I'd say you're probably in dying memory territory.

Run the free version of this: https://www.memtest86.com/

My rig was five years old and two of my four DIMMs were reporting something like 10,000 errors in the first three minutes of testing. Removing the defective ones and leaving the other two resulted in a dramatic improvement. That should at least buy you time.
OK. I ran the test twice and both times the software said "Test aborted due to too many errors". Same as you I had 10,000+ errors.

So it sounds like the memory sticks are toast. Is it as simple as removing old ones and popping in new ones?
Old 01-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK. I ran the test twice and both times the software said "Test aborted due to too many errors". Same as you I had 10,000+ errors.

So it sounds like the memory sticks are toast. Is it as simple as removing old ones and popping in new ones?
That's exactly what happened to me, test aborted because the verdict was basically "Yeah, you're effed".

As for how easy it is, yup, it's that simple.

When you ran Memtest86+, it should tell you what type of memory you're running. Since the machine is 7+ years old, it's probably going to say DDR3-1600 or something like that. Go buy the same memory spec as whatever is listed. Memory Express has stock in DDR3 1333 (PC3-10600), 1600 (PC3-12800), and 1866 (PC3-14900) which covers the most common speeds of the generation.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-16-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #9
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
That's exactly what happened to me, test aborted because the verdict was basically "Yeah, you're effed".

As for how easy it is, yup, it's that simple.

When you ran Memtest86+, it should tell you what type of memory you're running. Since the machine is 7+ years old, it's probably going to say DDR3-1600 or something like that. Go buy the same memory spec as whatever is listed. Memory Express has stock in DDR3 1333 (PC3-10600), 1600 (PC3-12800), and 1866 (PC3-14900) which covers the most common speeds of the generation.

Went to Memex this morning and bought some replacement RAM. $59 for DDR3.

Ran the diagnostic again fully with no errors. Computer hasn’t restarted since, but I haven’t run a game on it yet. Will try tonight after bedtime.

My old ram was 1866, but I bought 1600 this time. Shouldn’t be a problem I would assume? I just need this thing to last me another six months till I build new.

Hot tip: the NE Memex had a big shipment of 30 level cards arrive this morning, including 3090. No 3080s though.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Went to Memex this morning and bought some replacement RAM. $59 for DDR3.

Ran the diagnostic again fully with no errors. Computer hasn’t restarted since, but I haven’t run a game on it yet. Will try tonight after bedtime.

My old ram was 1866, but I bought 1600 this time. Shouldn’t be a problem I would assume? I just need this thing to last me another six months till I build new.

Hot tip: the NE Memex had a big shipment of 30 level cards arrive this morning, including 3090. No 3080s though.
The lower speed rating isn’t really an issue in this case. Error-free DDR3-1600 always runs faster than error-laden DDR3-1866. When I yanked the two defective DIMMs out of my machine, it was as though I upgraded the PC. That’s the advantage of the system not having to constantly circumnavigate memory errors just to run properly.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #11
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I thank you for all your help. Ran Witcher III last night for several hours with no problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #12
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Okay, you need to tighten up your titles. I came in here to win one of 10 BSOD's. Leaving disappointed.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #13
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I came in expecting to win all 10.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #14
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Okay, you need to tighten up your titles. I came in here to win one of 10 BSOD's. Leaving disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I came in expecting to win all 10.
You have been randomly selected to win a brand new BSOD!

Your BSODs are in the mail, no purchase necessary. No givesies backsies.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: