Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #241
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I may have it wrong but I recall that in recent draft past (like Ruzicka draft) they were kind of swinging for high upside potential and ability.

I watched that video of Button and at the end when talking about Nikolaev he talked about fundamentals of centre in Russian hockey and having that core 200 ft game in place. This was also mentioned about Pelletier. Button goes on to compare that profile to guys who don't have the fundamentals and are just playing pond hockey - which he says there is nothing wrong with.

To me it's like he's saying we wanted 'safer' or higher floors this time around while in the past they went for highest ceiling but perhaps some issues?

Are they just trying to balance the prospect pool out or did they learn something from like drafting a kid like Mitchell Mattson who had big upside (not to focus on individual players but more the philosophy).

I interpret it differently.

I think they have narrowed in on their subset of player attributes that actually equate to higher potential, and likelihood to reach that potential.

Overall skill level and hockey IQ are the types of fundamentals hard to overcome in order to be a contributing NHL player.

So I don't look at it as a safe/risky pick type of thing. More where they are choosing to make their bets.

I do think they are taking some swings on high skilled guys with warts. Ruzicka is an example of this for me - I don't think he has the fundamentals nailed, and certainly didn't when drafted. But he was also a 4th round pick
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #242
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I watched that video of Button and at the end when talking about Nikolaev he talked about fundamentals of centre in Russian hockey and having that core 200 ft game in place.
I'm pretty sure the exact same thing was said about Andrei Taratukhin.

Surprisingly, he's still active, 47 goals last season and 4 goals in 5 games this year!

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...rei-taratukhin
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #243
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Pelletier and Nikolaev both have huge ceilings, though. At 26th and 88th you have two guys who respectively might project to be similar players to a Brendan Gallagher or Mikael Backlund. How they pan out remains to be seen, but I don't think floor ever outweighed ceiling. They were simply the best prospects available at the time.
Thanks - good to know about their ceilings as I didn't really follow this past year prospect scouting reports.

I like that Button says we want smart, skilled competitive players regardless of size and where they come from. He also said they don't want to react to some trend (like St. Louis and a big team) detracting from said philosophy or attributes they value.

It's how you value and identify guys like a Gaudreau who they drafted and Kucherov who they liked a lot but also Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Valimaki, Pelletier etc - smart, skilled, compete. As long as they keep doing that I'm happy - I love seeing 4th round picks able to play in top 6 (high ceilings).

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 09-28-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #244
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I think he showed well at camp. I hope they take their time with him though. Next year it would be great to see him play a full season in the AHL.
Pelletier is not eligible for the AHL next year. But with him being a later first round pick, 2 years in the Q and 1 in the AHL with a couple games in the NHL post-draft before becoming an NHL regular is a fair development path.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #245
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I'm pretty sure the exact same thing was said about Andrei Taratukhin.

Surprisingly, he's still active, 47 goals last season and 4 goals in 5 games this year!

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...rei-taratukhin
And he was exactly that, he had a ton of potential as a checking line center in the NHL but never stuck around after not getting a shot in the NHL the season he came over.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #246
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has gone very cold since returning from injury.

Prior to his injury:

26 games: 18 goals, 31 assists, 49 points (1.88PPG)

Post-injury:

13 games: 3 goals, 7 assists, 10 points (0.77PPG)

Gotta wonder if he's still battling injury.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #247
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
And he was exactly that, he had a ton of potential as a checking line center in the NHL but never stuck around after not getting a shot in the NHL the season he came over.
I believe he had trouble getting Visa's for his wife and 2 kids is why he went back.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #248
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1312861285516636161

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 10-04-2020 at 04:19 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #249
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Pelletier is clearly just way too good for Junior hockey. It is important that he gets as much playing time as he can handle right now, but it is a real shame that he won't get the chance to play in the AHL where he most likely belongs right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 01:16 AM   #250
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Pelletier is clearly just way too good for Junior hockey. It is important that he gets as much playing time as he can handle right now, but it is a real shame that he won't get the chance to play in the AHL where he most likely belongs right now.
This problem occurs year after year with certain players, they really need to look at this. Maybe a special status rule where each team can play one player who should be in Junior in the AHL.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:49 AM   #251
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
I believe he had trouble getting Visa's for his wife and 2 kids is why he went back.
The story I heard was that the organization paid all expenses, legal and otherwise, and were able to get his wife and one of their twins over here. They were all free and clear to come over the following year, but they decided they didn't like NA. There were some hard feelings from the team.

He could've been a player-kind of a Backlund type.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #252
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Article on Pelletier as captain with his new Q team
Article

Quote:
“All of the noise I was hearing about Jakob Pelletier was incredible leader, great energy guy, always positive,” Renaud said. “He has a lot of passion for the game, and it shows. He’s a perfect captain for us right now. Games, practices, in the gym … He’s a big, big workhorse. He just leads the way. To me, he’s the best captain I’ve had a chance to work with so far.”
Quote:
“I got the chance to coach here in Val-d’Or for only three weeks last season before COVID and the compete level of the group, in general, was … I’m going to be kind … just average,” Renaud added. “And it’s a lot of the same players now. But those players, just watching Jakob, have taken a huge step in the way they fight and want to win battles and work with the body and puck protection and everything. So he’s had a major impact on the entire group.”
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #253
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a couple years it would be great to see him and Zary as our next duo threat on a line.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #254
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
In a couple years it would be great to see him and Zary as our next duo threat on a line.
Hoping to see them play together on the WJ team. Then come up together with the Flames - the next wave, like the way the Russian national team would bring guys up as a full line.

We need a right winger for these boys - Zavgorodniy?
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #255
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked that article posted by Bingo.

This is what I kept hearing about him - his compete level all over the ice.

I remember being rather disappointed with Baertschi's compete level in the NHL, and I said he was going to fizzle out. However, I was full aboard the hype train after the draft, especially hearing the stuff about him staying after practice to work on his skills, or choosing to ride the bike after games instead of playing video games like everyone else. What he never had though was that compete level, especially in all zones. Burke's comments were spot on.

Know who Pelletier reminds me of? Paul Byron. Now, I think Pelletier is a more skilled and slick player than Byron - better playmaking/vision, better shooting - but everything else reminds me of Byron. I think Byron is still a player that all 31 teams in the NHL would like to have on their roster (well, minus his contract - but good for him for earning it). You can throw Byron out anywhere in the lineup and he will play hard and contribute. That's Pelletier too.

It is questionable if he has "top line player" ceiling or not. Maybe the middle-six is a more realistic ceiling. I don't know. All I know is that this kid is going to be in the NHL sooner than most people think he will be. I think coaches will have a difficult time not including him in their rosters down the road as his level of compete in all zones sets him apart from a lot of other prospects. He is hard to play against not because he is a bruising forward, but because he doesn't give up on pucks in any zone.

I really like this prospect, not just for his skill level, but because of his other intangibles. I think he is a 'can't miss' prospect with that package. Undersized, yes.. but like Byron did, he plays bigger than he is. The Flames have to become a team that is much more difficult to play against, so I am glad that have really focused on stuff like this.

I am really excited to follow his career. I don't know how high he will top-off at, but I am betting he becomes a player sooner rather than later.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #256
Hart50
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I haven’t followed Pelletier as much as I’d like to and so how’s his skating and hockey sense?
Hart50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #257
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart50 View Post
I haven’t followed Pelletier as much as I’d like to and so how’s his skating and hockey sense?
Hockey IQ is hovering around elite. He is a good skater, but needs to improve it a notch or two to get an extra gear-that will come as he adds strength. Reminds me a bit of Mangiapane in that sense, although Pelletier is a better skater at this stage than Mangi was.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #258
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1400091938330611719
Old 06-02-2021, 08:44 AM   #259
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Hockey IQ is hovering around elite. He is a good skater, but needs to improve it a notch or two to get an extra gear-that will come as he adds strength. Reminds me a bit of Mangiapane in that sense, although Pelletier is a better skater at this stage than Mangi was.
Can he stay on his feet?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #260
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He sounds like someone Sutter will just love. With a lot of turnover coming to the bottom half of the roster with UFAs leaving, is there a good chance he makes the team out of camp next year?
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote