This guy really likes their chicken.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1175109431362633728
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #382
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Popeye's chicken isn't bad, had it a couple of times now, has some flavour. What I don't understand is peoples love of Chicken on the Way? Yes, they have fairly plump chickens but their batter has no flavour other than salt and their gravy is pretty bad as well. As far as I'm concerned the only thing chicken on the way has going for it are the fries, even their little corn balls they call "fritters" are pretty blah.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #383
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
What I don't understand is peoples love of Chicken on the Way? Yes, they have fairly plump chickens but their batter has no flavour other than salt and their gravy is pretty bad as well. As far as I'm concerned the only thing chicken on the way has going for it are the fries, even their little corn balls they call "fritters" are pretty blah.
Hits the spot when you have a hangover.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #384
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I actually found Popeyes chicken to be the one with no flavor. I tried both the regular and spicy variations and found them both bland.
I’ve yet to try Chicken on the Way in the 20 some years Ive lived here. I admittedly don’t eat a lot of fried chicken mind you and only tried the Popeyes since one opened up close by a community over from me in Evanston. Some American friends were saying how much they like it, or more so the biscuits, which weren’t without their charm.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #385
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac98 View Post
I actually found Popeyes chicken to be the one with no flavor. I tried both the regular and spicy variations and found them both bland.
I’ve yet to try Chicken on the Way in the 20 some years Ive lived here. I admittedly don’t eat a lot of fried chicken mind you and only tried the Popeyes since one opened up close by a community over from me in Evanston. Some American friends were saying how much they like it, or more so the biscuits, which weren’t without their charm.
Fair enough, but if you found Popeyes bland you wont like chicken on the way. I honestly cant taste anything in what they batter the chicken with other than salt. But their fries are fresh cut and pretty good.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #386
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Popeye's Chicken and resent the fact I have to drive to Calgary to get it.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #387
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There's a Popeye's in Airdrie now too Yamer so you can get more chicken now for the same trip cost!
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #388
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post
There's a Popeye's in Airdrie now too Yamer so you can get more chicken now for the same trip cost!
And with all the excitement of Airdrie? Nope, too good to be true.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 09-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #389
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

So anyone try their new chicken sandwich? This is the one where people went crazy in the USA.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #390
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup
Damn good
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 12:35 AM   #391
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hasn't Popeye's had a chicken sandwich before? The first time I ever went to Popeyes a few years ago I grabbed one on my way out of Calgary.

Or was that a limited time thing that I didn't know about? Or maybe something that was discontinued?
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #392
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I tried the KFC "Famous" chicken sandwich yesterday for $2- much better than I expected. I have not tried the Popeyes one yet but will soon.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #393
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Hasn't Popeye's had a chicken sandwich before? The first time I ever went to Popeyes a few years ago I grabbed one on my way out of Calgary.

Or was that a limited time thing that I didn't know about? Or maybe something that was discontinued?
Popeyes always had a chicken sandwich on their menu. But this one is different. It was only released in the States in 2019. It finally released in Canada on Monday.

I'm going to go try it this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #394
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Am I the only one who thinks Popeyes is the worst of all fried chickens available in Alberta? I've tried 3 times in different locations and the chicken is never crisp (I would describe it as old and floppy), doesn't have great flavour, the spice blend is super meh, and the sides are disgusting. I honestly don't see the appeal versus basically any other option, even KFC.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #395
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Eat. The. Sandwich.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #396
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Popeyes is the worst of all fried chickens available in Alberta? I've tried 3 times in different locations and the chicken is never crisp (I would describe it as old and floppy), doesn't have great flavour, the spice blend is super meh, and the sides are disgusting. I honestly don't see the appeal versus basically any other option, even KFC.
Compared to places like KFC, Popeye's is gourmet. I find the flavor at Popeye's pretty solid. You can still taste the chicken, which is moist and tastes great. I've always had reasonably crispy chicken too. At KFC, I often get breading that's sliding off the chicken, because it's so greasy. Church's chicken I find way too bland.

When it comes to fried chicken, I want it to be a bit fast-foody. I don't really like the fried chicken I get in fancier restaurants. Outside of fried chicken places I've had in the USA, Popeye's is pretty solid.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #397
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also like that you can re-heat it in your oven for 20 minutes at 350 and it tastes like you just got it from the restaurant (maybe even a little crispier).

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 09-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #398
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I also like that you can re-heat it in your oven for 20 minutes at 350 and it tastes like you just got it from the restaurant (maybe even a little crispier).

What? Fried chicken is like pizza, and maybe revenge... best served cold.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #399
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Their chicken is better than KFC IMO but not that great. I do like their tenders a bit more. I still like Chicken on the Way's fried chicken better.

But I tried the new sandwich today after reading the hype.

And yeah, it's the best fast food chicken sandwich I've ever had, was very yummy. I'd have to think of some really great restaurant chicken sandwiches to get better.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 10:04 PM   #400
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Tried both the Popeyes and the new famous chicken sandwich at KFC in quick succession yesterday. The Popeyes one was really greasy, chicken was dry, and the first bite was all breading. Bun and toppings were good.

Then had the KFC, and it was much better. Chicken was juicy, flavors were more balanced. Maybe just bad luck with Popeyes? At the very least, I'm happy that they made KFC up their game, the big crunch was not very good.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote