Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-19-2018, 05:21 AM   #61
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

That kind of military discipline would be next to impossible in the modern age, the level of honor, duty back then in the British Navy was incredible, the many expeditions that tested the level of human suffering is long and storied in the Royal Navy.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
That kind of military discipline would be next to impossible in the modern age, the level of honor, duty back then in the British Navy was incredible, the many expeditions that tested the level of human suffering is long and storied in the Royal Navy.
In fairness, the British have a long and storied history of suffering and tragedy. Its part of their cultural composition.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #63
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Oh I realize that. It's just pretty grim watching a show when you know everyone is going to die a slow death. The cannibalistic angle is also pretty sad as well.
Balance it out by watching that Shackleton miniseries from a few years qgo
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #64
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, what did everyone think? I really enjoyed this series, and it was nice to have a story wrapped up in one season. Word is they may do another one of these based on another event.

I think the whole thing would have worked fine without Tuunbaq and had it more of a myth in their heads generating fear than an actual super bear.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #65
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a book reader, I certainly enjoyed it. It was fun to see what was different and what remained the same.

Pretty faithful adaptation. One change I did not like was how the fire started at Carnival. Won't say more in case that somehow remains a spoiler.

I liked the ending. It was close to the book. They could not use the book ending I suppose. Seems like they rushed the end there. Could have used one more episode I think. Then you could see the mutineers to do something they did in the book.

Also would loved to have seen Silence teaching Francis the simple ways of her people. The light sleds she could make quite quickly. How the sled could turn into a tent rapidly. How to hunt.

Would have liked more of his reactions to the fact that they could have survived. Maybe don't carry all those books and silverware!

Even having read the book, I could not wait for the mutineer to die. Was hoping they changed that and killed him earlier.

I may be remembering wrong, but I do not think any marines were involved in the mutiny in the book. Think most were dead by then.

Heart wrenching moment in the book for me: The one very ill sailor who crawled to try and keep up with the sleds when they left. Fairly well captured on TV.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #66
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I liked it a lot. I want to rewatch it and pay additional attention to the different relationships and side characters. I felt like I was missing out on some of the beats that were supposed to pack an emotional punch when 70% of the vast was “interchangeable British guy” for me for most of the series.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #67
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought it was a fantastic series, one of the best I’ve seen in a long time. I’d never heard of the book prior to learning about this series so I will definitely be giving it a read.
Zulu29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #68
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season 2 to arrive later in 2019. Titled The Terror: Infamy.

Quote:
Here's the official synopsis: "Set during World War II, the second season of The Terror centers on a series of bizarre deaths that haunt a Japanese-American community, and a young man's journey to understand and combat the malevolent entity responsible."

The season will be titled The Terror: Infamy.

The second season will star George Takei (Star Trek), who also serves as a consultant on the series, and Derek Mio (Hawaii Five-0) as Chester Nakayama. Rounding out the cast are Kiki Sukezane (“Lost in Space”) as Yuko, a mysterious woman from Chester’s past; Miki Ishikawa (9-1-1) as Amy, a Nakayama family friend; Shingo Usami (Unbroken) as Henry Nakayama, Chester’s father; and Naoko Mori (Everest) as Asako Nakayama, Chester’s mother.
https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-...ease-date-news

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #69
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, they have big shoes to fill after the first season.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #70
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Season 1 is on Amazon Prime now so more easily watchable in Canada.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #71
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I don't see how they can come close to season 1, but I'll watch every damn episode.

Can't wait.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #72
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Season 2 to arrive later in 2019. Titled The Terror: Infamy.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-...ease-date-news
What an strange IP to build an anthology series around, lol. Sounds interesting though.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorbeauNoir For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #73
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Season 1 is on Amazon Prime now so more easily watchable in Canada.
Nice. If you haven't seen it, get on it! Great series to watch on a cold winter weekend...and oh, look what's coming up!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #74
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Just started binging this show. It is Fantastic. I will circle back once I finish it to read the thread.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #75
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enjoy!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:03 PM   #76
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

well I finished this up last night and quite enjoyed it. That said I never realized that it was meant to be a horror until I read this thread. That tidbit makes a heap of sense. I was always so confused that they kept going back to the beast. I thought that it was meant to be more of a historical telling of the events and would have preferred the beast to be related a bit more to the lead poisoning vs reality.

That aside I loved the cinematography of the series. I felt they really captured the desolation of the north and true reality of how ####ed these guys were.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote