Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2024, 07:09 PM   #2341
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heard McPoints asked in a postgame interview yesterday about his point streak. He responded that he didn’t care and they were after bigger things. This is the same guy who was on the ice with less than 2 min up 6-1 in the game a few min earlier. I wonder how that accomplishes ‘bigger things’.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:24 PM   #2342
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

His words and actions tell opposite stories.

He'll take every point he can bank and puts in more effort to make a play on an empty net in a game that's over than backcheck in OT in the playoffs.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 07:53 PM   #2343
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has to win the Art Ross for Ron.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 08:04 PM   #2344
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 10:36 PM   #2345
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I asked ChatGPT and here's the list it gave me:

Quote:
My apologies for the oversight! Let's narrow it down to the past 15 years. Here are the top **10 failures of the Edmonton Oilers organization** during that period:

1. **Taylor Hall Trade (2016)**: Trading Taylor Hall to the New Jersey Devils for Adam Larsson was a controversial move. Hall went on to win the Hart Trophy as league MVP, while Larsson's impact hasn't matched expectations.

2. **Jesse Puljujärvi Development (2016-2019)**: The Oilers struggled to develop Jesse Puljujärvi, their 4th overall pick in 2016. Mismanagement and lack of patience hindered his growth, leading to his eventual departure from the team.

3. **Goaltending Carousel**: The Oilers have been plagued by inconsistent goaltending. Failed experiments with Cam Talbot, Mikko Koskinen, and others have hindered their success.

4. **Peter Chiarelli's Moves (2015-2019)**: Former GM Peter Chiarelli made several questionable decisions, including the Hall trade, signing Milan Lucic to a massive contract, and failing to address defensive needs.

5. **Drafting Busts**: The Oilers' draft record has been spotty. Players like Nail Yakupov (2012) and Griffin Reinhart (2012) failed to live up to expectations.

6. **Lack of Defensive Depth**: Despite having generational talents like Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, the Oilers lacked a strong defensive core. Their blue line has been a weak point for years.

7. **Coaching Instability**: Frequent coaching changes disrupted team cohesion. The Oilers went through multiple head coaches, including Todd McLellan, Ken Hitchcock, and Dave Tippett.

8. **Inability to Surround McDavid and Draisaitl with Talent**: Despite having two of the league's best players, the Oilers struggled to build a competitive supporting cast. Depth scoring and defensive help were lacking.

9. **Failed Rebuilds**: The Oilers embarked on multiple rebuilds over the past 15 years, yet playoff success remained elusive. Their inability to capitalize on high draft picks is a recurring failure.

10. **Culture Issues**: The Oilers' locker room culture has been criticized. Instances of entitlement, lack of accountability, and complacency have hindered their progress.

Then I asked for 5 specific culture issues

Quote:
Certainly! Here are **five specific culture issues** that have plagued the Edmonton Oilers organization:

1. **Entitlement Mentality**: At times, players and staff within the organization have exhibited an entitlement mindset. This can lead to complacency, lack of accountability, and a sense that success is guaranteed without putting in the necessary effort.

2. **Lack of Leadership**: The Oilers have struggled with consistent leadership both on and off the ice. A strong leadership core is essential for fostering a positive team culture, but the absence of influential leaders has hindered their progress.

3. **Communication Breakdowns**: Effective communication is crucial in any organization. The Oilers have faced challenges in this area, whether it's miscommunication between management and players, conflicting messages, or inadequate feedback loops.

4. **Player Dissatisfaction**: Instances of player dissatisfaction with coaching decisions, playing time, or team direction have surfaced. When players feel unheard or undervalued, it can create a toxic atmosphere within the locker room.

5. **Lack of Accountability**: Holding individuals accountable for their performance and behavior is vital. The Oilers have sometimes struggled to enforce consequences for poor play, leading to a culture where mediocrity is tolerated.

Last edited by Torture; 03-31-2024 at 10:39 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 11:27 PM   #2346
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm still partial to the time they thought they traded for Heatley and we're going bonkers over it, only to find out way later in the evening that it was dead after Heatley refused to waive for Edmonton.

Fun starts on this page.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...t=76043&page=5
That was part of a long line of embarrassing summers in Oilerville. The Heatley non-trade was the summer of 2009.

In the summer of 2008, the Oilers made it known that they were going to go hard after Hossa and Jagr in free agency. Meanwhile, they told Glencross -- who was more than willing to re-sign with them -- he had to wait his turn. Instead, Darryl Sutter called Glencross's agent and signed him to the Flames. Then Hossa signed with the Red Wings and Jagr decided he'd rather go play in literally Siberia.

In the summer of 2007, the Oilers leaked to the press that they had come to terms with Michael Nylander... then, Nylander's wife vetoed that idea and he signed the next day with the Capitals. This was the same summer as the Penner offer sheet and Brian Burke asking for a barn fight with Kevin Lowe.

In the summer of 2006, after being carried to Game 7 of the Final by Chris Pronger, it's leaked that Pronger has requested a trade out of Edmonton. He gets traded to Anaheim, where he wins the Cup the following season.

In 2003, Mike Comrie held out looking for a better deal with the Oilers. Eventually, they came to terms to send him to Anaheim in a deal that would have seen recently-drafted Corey Perry end up in Oiler blue 20 years earlier than it actually happened. One hitch was that Kevin Lowe thought Comrie should repay part of the performance bonuses he had earned on his ELC. When he refused, the deal fell through. Eventually, Comrie was traded to Philadelphia for a return that included a first round draft pick that was used to select Rob Schremp -- he of the infamous 600 goal / 1300 point prediction.

---------

More recently, there was 2020 -- the Oilers traded for Mike Green at the deadline. He played in 2 games before being injured. When the league resumed that summer after the COVID stoppage, Green decided to retire rather than return to the Oilers.

Last edited by getbak; 04-01-2024 at 04:06 PM.
getbak is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 11:28 PM   #2347
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
There isn't a specific dress code for Edmonton Oilers fans. Like fans of any sports team, their attire can vary widely depending on personal preferences, the occasion, and the weather. Some fans may choose to wear sweatpants and good shoes to games or while watching from home, while others may opt for jerseys, team merchandise, or casual attire. Ultimately, it comes down to individual choice rather than a prescribed dress code for Oilers fans.
Also ChatGPT
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 11:31 PM   #2348
MonaTone
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm still partial to the time they thought they traded for Heatley and we're going bonkers over it, only to find out way later in the evening that it was dead after Heatley refused to waive for Edmonton.

Fun starts on this page.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...t=76043&page=5
This was just *chefs kiss*, to read through.

What a gift.
MonaTone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MonaTone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 11:34 PM   #2349
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just before the calendar flipped to 2020, I thought it was a good time to look back at the delightful decade of Oilers hockey that was the 2010s: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=177357

Lots of fun memories in there.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:34 PM   #2350
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Call me a luddite but anything ai generated is so boring

Last edited by BigThief; 04-01-2024 at 05:46 AM.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 04:43 AM   #2351
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Luddite? Or was that misspelling just to show that you are NOT an AI chatbot?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 07:44 AM   #2352
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
Heard McPoints asked in a postgame interview yesterday about his point streak. He responded that he didn’t care and they were after bigger things. This is the same guy who was on the ice with less than 2 min up 6-1 in the game a few min earlier. I wonder how that accomplishes ‘bigger things’.
that is laughable, he will be playing 30 minutes a night trying to get the scoring title. I could see McKinnon actually sitting out the last game as playoffs are far more important to him as he is a winner.
dirk diggler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 11:45 AM   #2353
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
Call me a luddite but anything ai generated is so boring
None of that is AI generated. AI curated maybe, but it's all true.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:44 PM   #2354
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
None of that is AI generated. AI curated maybe, but it's all true.
Fantastic
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:31 PM   #2355
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
that is laughable, he will be playing 30 minutes a night trying to get the scoring title. I could see McKinnon actually sitting out the last game as playoffs are far more important to him as he is a winner.

Laughed when I heard this

I gaurantee mcCrybaby has way higher TOI than mack.

Mack is a true leader and cares more about rolling all lines. Also a testimony to their depth
EDMONTONisNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:42 PM   #2356
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMONTONisNG View Post
Laughed when I heard this

I gaurantee mcCrybaby has way higher TOI than mack.

Mack is a true leader and cares more about rolling all lines. Also a testimony to their depth
This one might hurt you - Mack toi 22:57. Mcdavid 21:32. Kucherov higher too. Should’ve looked that one up first.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:57 PM   #2357
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
This one might hurt you - Mack toi 22:57. Mcdavid 21:32. Kucherov higher too. Should’ve looked that one up first.
Oh look, a rogue clown.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 08:57 PM   #2358
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Oh look, a rogue clown.
Facts are painful for you?
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:02 PM   #2359
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
Most years, this would have been a valid observation. I looked it up, and McDavid's ice time this year has been less than at any time since his sophomore season.

Given that his reduced ice time is likely to cost him the Art Ross this year, I can't imagine he's happy about that. The Oilers have accomplished a lot by importing cagey old veterans who are buying what Knoblauch has to sell. But if McDavid and Draisaitl decide to tune the coach out, how long will that last?
Old 04-01-2024, 09:53 PM   #2360
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, stupid Oilers!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote