Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2024, 03:17 PM   #1261
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you trust someone that doesn't capitalize their sentences?

In my experience you can't.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 03:19 PM   #1262
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Honest question: do you know a transperson?
Yes, in fact, I do. I can't say that we've ever discussed the particulars of the treatment, though. I don't know the extent of the gender-affirming care that person has received.

As for the rest of your post, I think CliffFletcher made some very good points. I'm glad he did, and everything isn't as black and white as you make it out to be.

As for your personal case, what would've been the downside of waiting until you turned 18, with any and/or all treatment?
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 03:26 PM   #1263
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Yes, in fact, I do. I can't say that we've ever discussed the particulars of the treatment, though. I don't know the extent of the gender-affirming care that person has received.

As for the rest of your post, I think CliffFletcher made some very good points. I'm glad he did, and everything isn't as black and white as you make it out to be.

As for your personal case, what would've been the downside of waiting until you turned 18, with any and/or all treatment?
My personal case? I'm a cisperson. I just know and love a lot of transfolks.

As for your other point, I think we wants kids to live their best lives, and okay in their own skin. Under appropriate medical care/supervision etc. I'd still call 80% of physicians a majority. Each kid is different and the benefits and any associated risk should be weighed and discussed. Carte blance saying you can't do this can and will hurt a lot of kids.

Like how this government ignores harm reduction and that ends up with a lot of drug poisonings.

On a personal note I've generally tried to meet folks where they're at, but being told that folks like me have never existed adn just appeared like Athena out of Zeus head is really upsetting.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 03:35 PM   #1264
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Back to Kuzmenko, he may have an issue with gays (we don't know). But if he does, that also doesn't mean it's forever. Maybe he's already made big strides from his views on the subject from 10 years ago.

Having a lot of family from Russia, I will say that if this guy is on a journey of acceptance, he may have started from the gold tees, while a lot of us started at the reds. What's important is that people progress, and growing up surrounded by Russian cultural values, that might take quite a bit of time.

My Grandpa was born to Russian parents, and by the time he left this earth he'd fully accepted his bisexual granddaughter, and saw his son-in-law become his daughter-in-law, and still maintained a relationship with her through it all. He was likely way behind Kuzmenko at the same age, but I think there was still a good person in there just finding their way through it all.

Maybe he's a total dink, but I'll assume the best until proven otherwise (thanks Dillon Dube).
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 03:36 PM   #1265
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyway, this is a Flames forum. I think you guys understand where I'm coming from.
Sadly I think I do and I don't like it...

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 03:43 PM   #1266
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t.
And I dont either
And don't care to
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 03:48 PM   #1267
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Back to Kuzmenko, he may have an issue with gays (we don't know). But if he does, that also doesn't mean it's forever. Maybe he's already made big strides from his views on the subject from 10 years ago.

Having a lot of family from Russia, I will say that if this guy is on a journey of acceptance, he may have started from the gold tees, while a lot of us started at the reds. What's important is that people progress, and growing up surrounded by Russian cultural values, that might take quite a bit of time.

My Grandpa was born to Russian parents, and by the time he left this earth he'd fully accepted his bisexual granddaughter, and saw his son-in-law become his daughter-in-law, and still maintained a relationship with her through it all. He was likely way behind Kuzmenko at the same age, but I think there was still a good person in there just finding their way through it all.

Maybe he's a total dink, but I'll assume the best until proven otherwise (thanks Dillon Dube).
I'll have to find the actual tweet and not the screenshot a friend sent me last year.

Kuzmenko did sign a fan's Pride jersey after the fact and posed for a photo with the fan.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 03:50 PM   #1268
musth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Can you trust someone that doesn't capitalize their sentences?

In my experience you can't.

e.e. cummings says hi
Old 02-01-2024, 03:53 PM   #1269
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musth View Post
e.e. cummings says hi
cummings was a dick. Big infidelity issues and he was a McCarthyite.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:08 PM   #1270
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Sadly I think I do and I don't like it...
Care to elaborate on that thought? I'm just not a fan of insinuations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
And I dont either
And don't care to
That's the beauty of a free country. We don't have to agree, or even understand each other to be able to coexist.

It's oddly funny because a lot of the people in the trade thread didn't care about the pride jersey topic either, but were sucked into reading that discussion anyway.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:13 PM   #1271
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musth View Post
e.e. cummings says hi
But was he TRUSTWORTHY???
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:16 PM   #1272
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

This.

Kuzmenko's situation was a lot different than a lot of other NHLers. This wasn't a guy that has been playing in North America since he was 17 (like Zadorov), he's been in North America for about 18 months now, and would have been in North America for like 6-9 months at the time he refused to wear the jersey.

He's been brought up and raised in a Russian culture where the anti-LGBT viewpoint was the expectation, and the alternative is not only frowned upon but actually illegal.

Now I'm not in his shoes but I could at least understand how somebody in his situation might have different views than somebody brought up with my upbringing.

If we want people to change though we need to be able to understand why they may feel a certain way and what's happening, and try to educate them, not shame them. Especially for a person with that background. It's a lot different than if a guy born and raised in Calgary feels the same way TBH.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-01-2024 at 04:18 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 06:54 PM   #1273
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Care to elaborate on that thought? I'm just not a fan of insinuations.

That's the beauty of a free country. We don't have to agree, or even understand each other to be able to coexist.

It's oddly funny because a lot of the people in the trade thread didn't care about the pride jersey topic either, but were sucked into reading that discussion anyway.
It’s oddly funny because people did the bold, abrasive, and extremely controversial thing known as “bringing it up” and people immediately felt the need to tell them to shut up, call them losers, and tell them off a half of a dozen other ways.

That’s not coexisting and it’s not actually funny.

I don’t know what ucb is insinuating, but I know enough people who claim to support “everyone” “equally” and all the things that are easy to say, but when it comes to their actual nuanced opinions and their actions, they’re at best harmfully ignorant and at worst bigots who don’t even have the guts to come out with it. Which are you?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 07:02 PM   #1274
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to be getting harder and harder to separate sport from politics. It was my last island devoid of the drama.

I still just want to watch the hockey game though. That’s why I’m there or have tuned in.

I honestly don’t care what they wear for jerseys. I just want to see the team I’m cheering for score more goals than the team I don’t like.

Is this allowed anymore?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:23 PM   #1275
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Seems to be getting harder and harder to separate sport from politics. It was my last island devoid of the drama.

I still just want to watch the hockey game though. That’s why I’m there or have tuned in.

I honestly don’t care what they wear for jerseys. I just want to see the team I’m cheering for score more goals than the team I don’t like.

Is this allowed anymore?
Politics have always been a part of sports. Ever hear of Jackie Robinson, the Summer Olympics of 1936, 1972, 1980 & 1984 or the 1972 Summit Series?

Last edited by Howie_16; 02-01-2024 at 07:28 PM.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:26 PM   #1276
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
Politics have always been a part of sports. Ever hear of Jackie Robinson, the
Summer Olympics of 1936, 1972, 1980 & 1984 or the 1972 Summit Series?
Of course.

But that’s not what I asked.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:26 PM   #1277
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Whaaa! People are giving me a tough time for hating gay people!!!!!

The only reason to oppose welcoming all people to enjoy hockey is some weird personal hangup or superstitious, backwards, religious horse#### that you only believe because you were indoctrinated.

Just admit you hate this particular group of people, enough of the excuses.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 07:29 PM   #1278
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Whaaa! People are giving me a tough time for hating gay people!!!!!

The only reason to oppose welcoming all people to enjoy hockey is some weird personal hangup or superstitious, backwards, religious horse#### that you only believe because you were indoctrinated.

Just admit you hate this particular group of people, enough of the excuses.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:30 PM   #1279
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Of course.

But that’s not what I asked.
You asked if you can continue to pretend that sports & politics are completely separate. I answered you.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:47 PM   #1280
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the beauty of a free country! I can be an abrasive a-hole.

Wasn't "its a free country" the common phrase people were throwing out 30 years ago?

Times have changed. Society has changed. For better or worse, it's not what it used to be. Get with the program bro.

If your line of thinking is multiple decades behind, you're probably going to look like the bigger clown here for trying to justify your arguments with outdated logic. What cave have you been hunching in to not get the jist of how things have changed societally and failed to acclimatize or adapt even a little bit?

I'm afraid we can't just go back to your dad's days of rampant prejudice and bigotry just cause you and your similarly aged and similarly poorly adjusted buddies in their 40s or 50s have had enough and wanna shout it from the rooftops of an anonymous forum.

The Theos out there who've popped their heads up in this thread and the other one need to get a clue about how the world works today and figure it out.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote