Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 10:23 PM   #121
MonaTone
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What an absolute chode.

" I'm not a bigot I have a Muslim friend" is certainly a strategy.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MonaTone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 10:25 PM   #122
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaTone View Post
What an absolute chode.

" I'm not a bigot I have a Muslim friend" is certainly a strategy.
I support the LGBTQSI+ I have a Muslim friend.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:29 PM   #123
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So his religion says it's okay to work with Mexican cartels to bring life-ruining drugs into his community but wearing a rainbow jersey for 15 minutes is a bridge too far.
You’re confusing Mexican mennonites with traditional mennonites who have come directly from Europe. Their beliefs, behaviour, and religious followings are typically quite different.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 03-18-2023 at 10:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 10:40 PM   #124
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
You’re confusing Mexican mennonites with traditional mennonites who have come directly from Europe. Their beliefs, behaviour, and religious followings are typically quite different.
Don't think so but I could be wrong. mexican mennonites are just regular mennonites that came from Europe to Canada then went down to Mexico. Maybe the ones that went to Mexico and came back are a different sect but they all come from the same place. See Winkler, Manitoba for an example. Used to be called the cocaine capital of the prairies.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:41 PM   #125
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Here's what Burkie said:

Spoiler!
Old 03-18-2023, 10:53 PM   #126
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Don't think so but I could be wrong. mexican mennonites are just regular mennonites that came from Europe to Canada then went down to Mexico. Maybe the ones that went to Mexico and came back are a different sect but they all come from the same place. See Winkler, Manitoba for an example. Used to be called the cocaine capital of the prairies.
it's a little more complicated and nuanced than that, but I can assure you that there's nobody teaching at menno simons college how to blow fat rails. They are teaching that any association with the military or fighting is bad.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:55 PM   #127
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

He wouldn't wear an Eid jersey? Eid is just a celebration. Like Pride.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:08 PM   #128
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Painfully exhausting to have to read this free speech crap. Reimer freely spoke his mind, it was accurately reported on, he still has all the freedoms guaranteed to him after he said his asinine comments, but free speech is somehow under attack.

Odd that in an environment where free speech is allegedly "under attack" I have never been inundated with as much blatant hateful homophobia, racism and intolerance than I am right now.
It’s free speech if you say what everyone wants to hear these days. Otherwise there’s a witch hunt brewing.

The guys religion (whatever it is) doesn’t seem to support gay relationships. He’s following his religion. If you have a problem with it why don’t you take it up with his church?

He’s just being true to his beliefs. He’s allowed to do that. Freedom of religion is still a thing.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:12 PM   #129
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
It’s free speech if you say what everyone wants to hear these days. Otherwise there’s a witch hunt brewing.

The guys religion (whatever it is) doesn’t seem to support gay relationships. He’s following his religion. If you have a problem with it why don’t you take it up with his church?

He’s just being true to his beliefs. He’s allowed to do that. Freedom of religion is still a thing.
My religion says it’s ok to kill children. I appreciate your support defending our right to religious freedom.

As you say, all inquiries can be directed to our head office. As an individual I’m powerless and must kill those pesky children to keep my church/god happy.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:14 PM   #130
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

See this is what is so wrong in terms of understanding what free speech is.

First person - "I believe X/I'm stating X"
Literally any number of people - "This is stupid/Here's a rebuttal/Here's why this is wrong"
First person - "Muh free speech!!! I'm being silenced!!!!!".

That has LITERALLY nothing to do with free speech and you people (and yes, I do mean you people) need to understand that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 11:16 PM   #131
jayswin

Exp:

Also, go back and honestly read CaliPanthersFans take on the bible and everything they choose to ignore while only rising up with their defence of "well, my bible is the highest authority" when it conveniently holds down and persecutes minority groups, GoRiders. Read it, man. Friggin read it. Ugghhh.

**** this damn message board is showing it's age these days, isn't it?
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 11:23 PM   #132
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The same bible endorses slavery, is that also just staying true to beliefs?

There's no witch hunt here, what are you talking about? You think free speech means you can say whatever you want and people can't disagree and call it out? That's literally the exact opposite of free speech
Old 03-18-2023, 11:24 PM   #133
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
"The bible is the highest authority in my life"

Yeah can we go ahead and abolish religion already? So tired of this dogmatic thinking.
Imagine the NHL had a "Christ Night" where players had to wear a cross on their jerseys...
Old 03-18-2023, 11:24 PM   #134
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Also, go back and honestly read CaliPanthersFans take on the bible and everything they choose to ignore while only rising up with their defence of "well, my bible is the highest authority" when it conveniently holds down and persecutes minority groups, GoRiders. Read it, man. Friggin read it. Ugghhh.

**** this damn message board is showing it's age these days, isn't it?

I'd say they should read what Brian freaking Burke says, and attempt a response to that. Spoiler, they can't. It lays it out 100% clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 11:25 PM   #135
jayswin

Exp:

nm
Old 03-18-2023, 11:27 PM   #136
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
My religion says it’s ok to kill children. I appreciate your support defending our right to religious freedom.

As you say, all inquiries can be directed to our head office. As an individual I’m powerless and must kill those pesky children to keep my church/god happy.
Cecil, your church is very liberal.

My church says it is my god-given duty to kill all the unbelievers. He will sort it out in the end. Death to the infidels!!!!!
Old 03-18-2023, 11:29 PM   #137
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Imagine the NHL had a "Christ Night" where players had to wear a cross on their jerseys...
Every night is Christ night in America. If you listen to the anthems, there's a serious religious overtone to a single deity. There aren't too many monotheistic religions in North America. Want to guess which way people swing?
Old 03-18-2023, 11:31 PM   #138
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Anglicans should stop wearing St. Patrick's Day-themed warm-up jerseys.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 11:33 PM   #139
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Every night is Christ night in America. If you listen to the anthems, there's a serious religious overtone to a single deity. There aren't too many monotheistic religions in North America. Want to guess which way people swing?
I actually responded to his post similar to you, but edited it out and chose to assume there's no way he meant that literally and was just being ironic or mocking the idea that Christians are persecuted or that we need to accept a Christian night if we accept a Pride night. Surely, he didn't mean that.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:42 PM   #140
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The same bible endorses slavery, is that also just staying true to beliefs?

There's no witch hunt here, what are you talking about? You think free speech means you can say whatever you want and people can't disagree and call it out? That's literally the exact opposite of free speech
What’s their next tribute night. Forcing Muslim and Jewish players to eat pork?
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread