Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2023, 12:44 PM   #661
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry was away for weekend. What did kadri say?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:47 PM   #662
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Who the hell know. the podcast talked about it with the same depth as the tweet. reeks like bait.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 12:47 PM   #663
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
He didn't say anything publicly.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 12:47 PM   #664
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
According to some the players are babies and need to toughen up lol.
If Toffoli can bring his best season ever under such harsh conditions, then Kadri can play up to his career standard.

Not a lot to ask when you shell the guy 7 million in compensation for his troubles.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:48 PM   #665
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
If Toffoli can bring his best season ever under such harsh conditions, then Kadri can play up to his career standard.

Not a lot to ask when you shell the guy 7 million in compensation.
It clearly is not just Kadri that is struggling with the environment right now.

Last edited by Ashasx; 03-20-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 01:03 PM   #666
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not a lot to ask when you shell the guy 7 million in compensation for his troubles.
This assumes everyone is treated equally, or at least reasonably equally.

I don't think I have ever been on a team where everyone was treated pretty much equally. It is normal human behavior to have favorites, and non-favorites from a group. Biases are pretty normal.

Toffoli and Lewis are by far, the most experienced at dealing with Sutter. Huberdeau and Kadri are among the least.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 01:17 PM   #667
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I don't think I have ever been on a team where everyone was treated pretty much equally. It is normal human behavior to have favorites, and non-favorites from a group. Biases are pretty normal.

Toffoli and Lewis are by far, the most experienced at dealing with Sutter. Huberdeau and Kadri are among the least.
They have played for years under Darryl and know what he expects. He probably doesn't need to say anything to them. However it seems newer players are having difficulty with the lack of communication compared to what they have been accustomed to on their last teams.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 01:32 PM   #668
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Responses like “they should try upping their effort”…this team’s effort has not been the issue. They’ve been busting their ass all season - that’s how they’ve managed to out-corsi/out-shoot the opposition so consistently. Effort is not the problem.
Quote:
Maybe guys like Kadri should try upping their effort
I love that these posts were back to back in this order. Rick James not grinding/grinding his feet on the couch energy.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 01:53 PM   #669
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I've been saying it for a couple weeks now.

All the focus has been on the relationship between Huberdeau and Sutter, but to me based on body language and play on the ice the relationship between Kadri and Sutter looks way more strained.

And the last two games in terms of TOI, linemates, etc really seem to have been the breaking point.

The team "bought in" as we saw that last season but those two guys maybe not so much..That's not to say they are not playing the system.

Is it a Sutter problem? I think it is a little bit of both. Brad needs to have a talk with Sutter, in response to player frustrations and see if there is a middle ground. Some players are stepping up and having a good season but those two need to find thier games, they just have not brought it enough which could have us making the playoffs. I get they are frustrated, but they get paid well to play. If they have issues with coaching, or style of play they can and should vent that when the season is over.

Easy enough for me to say but I am not the in the room. Hope these guys figure it out.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:59 PM   #670
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
The times have changed. Darryl should consider changing a bit with them.
Both sides need to chuck the egos, make up and save the season.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:10 PM   #671
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With the rumblings we've heard, no one here is happy - I don't think there's an environment here to build good relationships between coaches and players.

The organization needs an enema.
People thought gaudreau walking and tkachuk stating he was was going to sign an extension, was bad for the Calgary/flames image.

This season, watching the 3 new guys brought struggle so mightily is actually a much bigger problem, perception-wise.

Flames are just a pretty bad franchise, the tradition continues…
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:13 PM   #672
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People want to grant Darryl all this respect because “he knows how to win”.

Kadri won last season. If he sees a problem with the room/the coaches and the players, I’d listen to him way more than I’d listen to “haven’t won #%^* in a decade” Darryl.

Further to that - if our biggest UFA signing in franchise history comes in and is like “wtf is going on here” we should take note.

Responses like “they should try upping their effort”…this team’s effort has not been the issue. They’ve been busting their ass all season - that’s how they’ve managed to out-corsi/out-shoot the opposition so consistently. Effort is not the problem.
I don’t know what Kadri is saying or isn’t saying.

But I do know he is not playing very well. Being our biggest UFA signing in franchise history gives him little authority in my book. Prior to Kadri, Neal held that distinction.

That’s great if he thinks communication could be improved. That doesn’t explain away his play.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 02:24 PM   #673
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

This is a fair point.

I haven't played (competitive) team sports in years. It doesn't always apply, but in many cases, yes. Thinking back to one team, the mom coach who let her kids get the most opportunity while being particularly inflexible for no apparent reason about playing me at a position that I vocally protested against did feel unfair.

I think when you're a pro and it's your job, and you've become an investment that your franchise's brand depends upon, it is kind of a different deal. More rides on you "following orders" and bringing the skills you possess to the table. It's your responsibility and a lot actually rides on you showing up.

Kadri's reduced ice time and demotion you can't say was unwarranted. So this isn't Darryl just doing #### for no reason (which has felt like the case here and there)

He showed earlier this year that he can play at a level that earns him the 2C spot over Backlund. It can be argued he hasn't been at that level in some time.

He was given some leeway and the job was his to lose and he mailed it in since the ASB.

Obviously it's more complicated than that behind closed doors. But Kadri has brought a certain standard of play on every team he's been on, and even THAT has been lacking here. A tough environment doesn't stop Nazem from doing what he knows how to do. He can still protest the lack of communication while being a responsible teammate who pulls his weight.

It's not all about the coach at this level of the game.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:14 PM   #674
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can’t see how Tre doesn’t fire him after the season unless he’s planning on jumping ship.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:25 PM   #675
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Can’t see how Tre doesn’t fire him after the season unless he’s planning on jumping ship.
Tre is out of a job the day the season ends as of right now. He doesn't have a contract extension. (Maybe he doesn't want one)

If ownership is ride or die with Sutter, I'd guess Treliving is going to explore his options.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:25 PM   #676
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

well the fact that sutter's extension hasn't even kicked in yet, i doubt he goes anywhere before treliving does
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:28 PM   #677
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
well the fact that sutter's extension hasn't even kicked in yet, i doubt he goes anywhere before treliving does
Yeah it's hard to imagine Edwards eating the two year extension that hasn't even kicked in. It's a pretty awkward situation as you don't want to risk a repeat of this season bringing him back if there are players that don't like him. It's a pretty bad situation all around when you factor in the GM on an expiring deal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:30 PM   #678
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah it's hard to imagine Edwards eating the two year extension that hasn't even kicked in. It's a pretty awkward situation as you don't want to risk a repeat of this season bringing him back if there are players that don't like him. It's a pretty bad situation all around when you factor in the GM on an expiring deal.

Tre has autonomy built into his contract. He doesn’t need ownership pre-approval. But I guess that’s all moot if he walks.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:05 PM   #679
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
Let’s assume Sutter makes $4m-ish a year…it’s better to eat that $8ish million to allow your $64m and $49m investments have a chance to get on track. I don’t see it happening as long as Sutter is anywhere near the team. It isn’t quite a sunk cost but is probably a good business decision not to waste $15.5m to protect $4m a season.

Last edited by ben voyonsdonc; 03-20-2023 at 10:07 PM.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:12 PM   #680
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don’t know what Kadri is saying or isn’t saying.

But I do know he is not playing very well. Being our biggest UFA signing in franchise history gives him little authority in my book. Prior to Kadri, Neal held that distinction.

That’s great if he thinks communication could be improved. That doesn’t explain away his play.
Seems like an expectations problem...this is pretty much Kadri's median season of his career (5th or 6th in most categories out of his 11 full seasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Tre has autonomy built into his contract. He doesn’t need ownership pre-approval. But I guess that’s all moot if he walks.
Autonomy doesn't mean carte-blanche. Coaching changes, huge UFA signings/extensions, major major trades, overall team direction, etc. are all still going to have some degree of ownership involvement.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote