Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2023, 04:46 PM   #41
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also good for the week is Full Swing dropping on Netflix.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 04:53 PM   #42
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Also good for the week is Full Swing dropping on Netflix.
Yeah first episode was pretty good. We’ll see how it goes.
Old 02-18-2023, 03:45 PM   #43
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Brooks Koepka reportedly regrets signing on with LIV golf, after doing so out of frustration with injuries and feeling like he couldn't compete with the best anymore.

Now realizing he doesn't want a retirement style tour, he wants to come back and complete with the best players in the world. If I'm Jay Monahan I welcome him back with open arms and facilitate by any means necessary. That would be a huge blow to LIV golf to only have acquired a handful of top end players and then have one leave after a year.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 03:46 PM   #44
jayswin

Exp:

Not sure how airtight those contracts are with LIV, though. I hope he can get out and I hope the death of that league begins quickly. I'd love to see Bryson back on tour, as well.
Old 02-18-2023, 04:42 PM   #45
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Brooks Koepka reportedly regrets signing on with LIV golf, after doing so out of frustration with injuries and feeling like he couldn't compete with the best anymore.

Now realizing he doesn't want a retirement style tour, he wants to come back and complete with the best players in the world. If I'm Jay Monahan I welcome him back with open arms and facilitate by any means necessary. That would be a huge blow to LIV golf to only have acquired a handful of top end players and then have one leave after a year.
If you watch episode 2 of Full Swing it's all about Kepka.
He goes on about how winning is life & death, how'd he'd give up all of career earnings to win a major again....
Then he goes to LIV

He seems really dejected by his game and not winning anymore. Probably went to LIV as a decision made in a bad time personally and I can see why he regrets it.
Unlike most of the LIV guys, he's someone who still wants to win and compete with the best.
It makes more sense for the retirement tour types; DJ, Phil, Poulter etc
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 04:59 PM   #46
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

DJ is 38.
Old 02-18-2023, 05:30 PM   #47
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
DJ is 38.
That isn't retirement tour age on the PGA tour, but he'd certainly had shown signs of hitting the back end of his career. For example, Cameron Smith surprised the hell out of me as he's right in the thick of it and could have reasonable been number one in the world for the foreseeable future.

That's shocking. Dustin Johnson going over to LIV golf 5 years ago if it happened then would have been shocking to me. At 38, not really. They needed to sign a real star to kickstart more players coming over star after Phil had been the face, but a face that was already on the Champions tour.
Old 02-18-2023, 05:36 PM   #48
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

C'mon man, now you are making things up. DJ was 15th in the world when he signed with LIV.

That's not a back end of career level of performance.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:40 PM   #49
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
C'mon man, now you are making things up. DJ was 15th in the world when he signed with LIV.

That's not a back end of career level of performance.
But he seemed satisfied with what he had accomplished and happy to play recreational golf for boatloads of money.
I don't mean retirement tour as in not good enough, just that it fits what they seem to be after.

Kepka seems to still have a highly competitive desire to be amongst the best in the world and win the best tournaments.
Different place is his own career path.
Old 02-18-2023, 11:01 PM   #50
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, and I didn't mean the end of his career, I meant like literally there's front half and back half of ones career in any sport. He wasn't trending up he was trending down from world number one, which puts him on the back half, which doubleK took to mean that I was insinuating that he was near the end.

And in that regard, he saw himself as having his best days behind him, was satisfied with what he's accomplished and was willing to go to the retirement tour for $150mil, plus huge pay days for every good finish.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-18-2023 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2023, 11:42 PM   #51
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1627052623131189249
Old 02-19-2023, 12:46 AM   #52
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both of you literally did all of the things you are now trying to walk back.

What side do you want with your crow when DJ wins his next major?

LIV haters are insufferable.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:26 PM   #53
jayswin

Exp:

Looking like another great finish. PGA tour has been great so far this year. Was hoping Mitchell could keep himself in the mix, but he's slowly falling out and losing holes to make a move.

Hoping Cantlay doesn't win it. Nothing against him, but if boring was a person, it would look and act like Cantlay.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:06 PM   #54
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Both of you literally did all of the things you are now trying to walk back.

What side do you want with your crow when DJ wins his next major?

LIV haters are insufferable.
I'm not a LIV hater and not walking back anything.
You're a little sensitive in defence of LIV it seems and are projecting hate people aren't even throwing at it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2023, 05:02 PM   #55
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a LIV hater, and proudly so. I hope that “tour” maintains it’s irrelevant status.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2023, 05:23 PM   #56
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't understand why calling a 38 year old golfer on the decline 'on the back end of his career' is so controversial. That's when golfers start to decline. Similarly, early to mid-30s is when golfers tend to peak. The average age of a major winner is 32. DJ had a hell of a stretch from 30-36. All seems pretty standard. How long are we to expect that kind of play to sustain itself before it's not "insufferable" to suggest the best days of a 38 year old golfer are behind them?

That doesn't even preclude the chance that a golfer on the back end of their career can win a major. Guys over 38 win majors about a sixth of the time. It's not uncommon. Especially in the Open which DJ has played pretty well, and the Masters, which he at least has the lifetime exemption for. If DJ wins another major he'll join a surprisingly exclusive (and eclectic) group of five other players in the past 30 years to win more than one major after their 35th birthday (Phil, Cabrera, Harrington, Singh, and O'Meara). Guys from the last decade to join DJ in that hunt are: Tiger, Sergio, Bubba, Molinari, Stenson, Zach Johnson, Jimmy Walker, and Jason Dufner. Save for Tiger, DJ's peak is better than all of theirs, but it does go to show how quick the decline can come for players from 'in the hunt' to 'where the hell are they now?' Especially when the exemptions run out.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2023, 06:20 PM   #57
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I am a LIV hater, and proudly so. I hope that “tour” maintains its irrelevant status.
But the entire golf world is abuzz wondering if the Aces can repeat as champions. Which team wins it all this year. Will viewership on the weekend be over or under 1000 people.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2023, 09:36 PM   #58
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, I certainly had no idea that saying a former world number 1 that is 38 years old was on the back of half of his career was controversial. I also didn't realize DoubleK was a LIV supporter.

I don't like LIV at all and hope that evil regime pulls their blood money away from golf sooner than later, but that had nothing to do with my comment on Dustin Johnson.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:37 PM   #59
jayswin

Exp:

On another note, it's really sad as a golf fan in Canada that the first chance we have to watch PGA in 4k is a damn Netflix documentary.

Golf would be such a glorious sport to watch in 4k with the beautiful courses and scenery. But as it stands we can barely get a couple hockey games a week in 4k because Rogers/Bell have a monopoly in this country on cable broadcasting.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:44 AM   #60
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, I certainly had no idea that saying a former world number 1 that is 38 years old was on the back of half of his career was controversial. I also didn't realize DoubleK was a LIV supporter.

I don't like LIV at all and hope that evil regime pulls their blood money away from golf sooner than later, but that had nothing to do with my comment on Dustin Johnson.
Eat a D.