Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2023, 08:16 PM   #1481
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:00 AM   #1482
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I didn't know fan watchalongs were a thing until today but I've been watching a bunch. This is my favourite -
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 12:01 AM   #1483
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
He deserved it.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:42 AM   #1484
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Was an interesting article on the athletic after kane passed greaves for spurs top scorer how rare it's going go be for teams to ever have a new top scorer

Spurs and city were 2 of the only recent ones, and so many had records that were set decades ago that just have no chance of getting caught, either because the number is so high, or if they arent one of the richest clubs and have a striker banging them in at a high rate they will get scooped up by one of them.
That sounds right. And even amongst the richest Clubs, there is more fluidity of player movement. I think the Bosman ruling also impacts on this because as contracts ran down, teams were still entitled to transfer fees, even with nothing left on the contract. This made it more likely a team could hold on to a player more easily than today. Players couldn’t simply see out their contract and walk.

Also, squads were smaller in those days, so the big players played in every match in every competition.

Finally - in Liverpool’s case, Rush was an absolute legend playing with one of the greatest teams relative to their environment that ever existed. You either were delirious supporting them, or you hated how unfair they could be that good for so long.

My Dad loved them. I hated them.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:24 AM   #1485
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I didn't know fan watchalongs were a thing until today but I've been watching a bunch. This is my favourite -
Is he hiding behind his chair?

I'll try this, but for whatever reason watching someone watching something else seems weird.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:08 PM   #1486
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh no, I thought at least this thread was a Goldbridge free zone. Can't stand the ####er one bit.

oh well, that was quite the humble pie yesterday. I thought United were pretty good in the first half, but that turned into a freak result real fast in the second half ... probably the worst half of United football I've ever seen. We'll see how they respond to this, I certainly hope this doesn't derail what is otherwise a really good season. Who knows, maybe they could do with a humbling experience after beating Barca and winning the Caribou. Just wish it wasn't against the Scouse, of course.

congrats to the Liverpool fans on here. Except for Locke, obviously.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 03:25 PM   #1487
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoil sport.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 06:04 PM   #1488
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...does Bruno Fernandes get the United Captaincy permanently?

If he doesnt....Epic whinge video?

I know that 'Arry is so good and ETH loves him so much that he wouldnt even consider risking him.

Players that good (and expensive) dont even need to play!

Old 03-08-2023, 08:05 AM   #1489
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Lol! That's just so hilarious! Fantastic piece of trash talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
oh no, I thought at least this thread was a Goldbridge free zone. Can't stand the ####er one bit.

oh well, that was quite the humble pie yesterday. I thought United were pretty good in the first half, but that turned into a freak result real fast in the second half ... probably the worst half of United football I've ever seen. We'll see how they respond to this, I certainly hope this doesn't derail what is otherwise a really good season. Who knows, maybe they could do with a humbling experience after beating Barca and winning the Caribou. Just wish it wasn't against the Scouse, of course.
I don't think it will be a bad thing at all. This time last year maybe where we would have been subjected to a few post match social media apologies and the usual we go again bs with maybe a dressing room dance video thrown in.

This year, ETH seems to have a grip on tackling the issues head on. And Sunday will have given him the perfect opportunity now to address one of the major on pitch issues. Notably Bruno's behaviour.

He's simply not captain material imo, never has been. Based on what I see on the pitch. A captain doesn't flop and lie on the pitch whilst his team is defending. He leads as opposed to whine. Sunday highlighted what most United fans already knew, that when things are going badly, he has a tendency to whine rather than lead. There's a selfishness about him demonstrated by his Caribou cup behaviour at the end. They're not expected to lead every game but they are expected to show no quit. ETH's use of the word unprofessional post game I'm guessing was mostly directed at his behaviour.

Give it to Casemiro in the off season. His behaviour post Caribou cup whistle said it all for me. They had just won a cup but the first thing he did was rip into Bruno for refusing to play the team game and square the ball for a tap in favour of going for glory. Someone that, if you mess with a team mate he will choke you out. Him or Martinez or Varane. Team players. Leaders by example. How Bruno deals with that is up to him.

Antony worries me. He's a one trick one foot pony. I can't think of one significant cross he has put in all season. Would be curious to see him on the LHS for a bit. You don't even have to worry about defending the cross with him because he doesn't have the right foot to put one in.

But ... yeah...humbling. But you know what? Maybe better than a 2-1 loss where now they are forced to sit down and take a hard look at things and the consequences of their behaviour.

Spin spin ..... But honestly, believe they have the characters now to address and fix this and move on.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 01:05 PM   #1490
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag launched a strong defence of Bruno Fernandes in the wake of his side's 7-0 thrashing to Liverpool, saying the Portugal midfielder will remain one of his captains at Old Trafford.

Fernandes, 28, has been heavily criticised for his performance at Anfield and has faced calls to be stripped of the armband. Sky Sports pundit and former United defender Gary Neville labelled Fernandes "a disgrace" but Ten Hag is standing by him.

"I think he is playing a brilliant season and he has played a big role in us being where we are," Ten Hag told a news conference on Wednesday. "He is an inspiration to the team; everyone makes mistakes and we learn. I have to learn and he will as well."

"He is intelligent. I'm really pleased he is our player and he is captain when Harry [Maguire] is not playing."

Asked whether Fernandes would still be captain in the future, Ten Hag said: "Yes, definitely."
https://global.espn.com/football/man...fter-thrashing

And, if anyone is concerned, Gary Neville knows a thing or two about 'disgrace.'

Old 03-08-2023, 01:50 PM   #1491
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
How’s Stuart Scott Parker doing tho?
sacked after 12 games, lol.

Quote:
Scott Parker has been relieved of his duties as Club Brugge head coach after just 12 games in charge of the Belgian club.

Club Brugge announced the departure of the former Fulham and Bournemouth manager in the wake of their 5-1 defeat to Benfica on Tuesday that saw them crash out of the Champions League.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...ague-thrashing
Old 03-08-2023, 01:53 PM   #1492
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, duh! And there was me expecting him to throw him under the bus to the press and strip him off the captaincy immediately.

Neville disgrace? Jamie Spitty defender of racist behavior Carraher? Hold my beer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 07:03 PM   #1493
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not just Bruno’s selfish play neglecting the pass to tap in, but that god awful ####ing throw in that he aimed right at the Newcastle player. Like he was outsmarting everyone.

#### I wish Roy were in that room, throwing hands.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 08:48 AM   #1494
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

if only Conte's actual football was half as entertaining as the off-the-field stuff ...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1634195951727308804
Old 03-10-2023, 11:25 AM   #1495
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use, the BBC has said.

It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.....

.... Fellow pundit Ian Wright said he will not appear in "solidarity", tweeting: "Everybody knows what Match of the Day means to me, but I've told the BBC I won't be doing it tomorrow. Solidarity."
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64920557

Good on Wrighty for standing by him. It appears the rule is don't criticize the Tories. Anyone else is fair game.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 11:49 AM   #1496
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1634236419211182083
Old 03-10-2023, 12:33 PM   #1497
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shearer joins in.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1634261207354843143

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 01:22 PM   #1498
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Brought to you by the Chairman of the BBC who arranged an £800k loan facility for the then Prime Minister, Boris Johnson.

This country (the UK) would be the first to join the finger and judge if this was going on in Russia - or anywhere else for that matter.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 01:44 PM   #1499
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

They still have a lot of their second rate presenters to fall back upon.. (Rio etc)
I hope they ALL remain in solidarity.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:52 PM   #1500
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

A few have said they won't step up - Micah Richards, Jermaine Jenas, Alex Scott, Mark Chapman.

The BBC have really made a mess of this and turned a molehill into a mountain.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post: