Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2023, 09:42 AM   #9541
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I hate the phrase "would do well on a Sutter team because he can shoot well, pass well, and is fast..."

Sutter coached teams are not high scoring or even fast paced teams. At least this year it seems like he is not utilizing offensive players well at all, they aren't fast, and there is almost 0 offensive creativity. He's overpl playing bottom 6 players, so maybe a guy like Wayne Simmonds would do well on a Sutter coached team because he'd get more ice time and probably play with our best players.
Sutter wants all five guys to crowd around the puck behind our own net and hold it against the wall for the full 60 minutes. Simmonds would probably help with that. We should get him.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:19 AM   #9542
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
Sutter didn't forget how to coach. We should focus on the management team and the job they are doing managing this team and not the coaching. I think Sutter has a more proven record than Tre and I will trust Sutter before this management team. There inability to get this team to the next level. To find the right pieces and to be able to build a winner is the big ? I think Conroy is just a yes man.
I think it's perfectly fair to question coaching. The team got off to a solid 5-1 start and for some reason Sutter tinkered with the lines which turned that start into a 10-10-3 team by Dec. 1. His questionable handling of Huberdeau hasn't worked. He's overplayed a badly struggling Markstrom when Vladar was winning more of his starts. Lucic, enough said. He's been afforded a talented blueline that's been dragged down by uncharacteristic, untimely, horrendous breakdowns. Poor handling of AHL call-ups. His growing contempt for local media in one of the softest Canadian media markets that's made for headlines for the wrong reasons. This is easily the worst season of his Flames coaching career by a long shot. He's been off this season. Not sure if there's a rift with the GM or he's getting crankier in his old age but this season reminds me more of his end of tenure GM seasons where he started doing weird things and lost his grip on the team.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-05-2023 at 10:24 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 10:23 AM   #9543
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of me is convinced Sutters been pulling the reins on this team in order to preserve some energy for a potential deep run.

I'm keen to see if this Flames team post ASG is let loose. Because a lot of Sutters decisions in the pre ASG part of the season can definitely be seen as exactly that.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:28 AM   #9544
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Intentionally hold the team out of a solid playoff spot for half the year so they can claim a spot in the 2nd half?

Unlikely. But if we're talking 2nd half changes I'd just let the horses run.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:29 AM   #9545
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Reading that Sutter spent the all star break watching the Wranglers I hope that the Flames stand pat at the deadline and as injuries happen the holes are replaced from the organizational depth. I believe the best version of the Flames this post season will be Vladar in net and a couple call ups. The hungry youth complimenting wiley vets is the special sauce this year.

This would be my desired outcome for sure. Unlikely but desired.

I think the only way we do nothing is if Killington cones back.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:41 AM   #9546
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Part of me is convinced Sutters been pulling the reins on this team in order to preserve some energy for a potential deep run.

I'm keen to see if this Flames team post ASG is let loose. Because a lot of Sutters decisions in the pre ASG part of the season can definitely be seen as exactly that.
Preserving energy is not the right term, I don't think. And there's nothing to say it's going to pay off the way he imagines, but Sutter is absolutely about the long game and there was something he saw in the new core that needed square 1 type re-programming. If we had a coach that was free and easy, play your game guy... We might have a few more wins and a solid position. But he knows he's not winning with that team in the end.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 12:56 PM   #9547
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

8 year deal done for Horvat
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:42 PM   #9548
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highly doubt Sutter is having his team play at half speed for half the season only to turn it up in the second half. He has not had a great season coaching and its just another excuse people are making for this poor showing in the first half.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:44 PM   #9549
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he probably told the goalies to suck
Old 02-05-2023, 02:48 PM   #9550
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Only 1 has truly sucked.

We will see what will happens but I think Markstrom has lost his net and its time to roll with the guy who is winning hockey games.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:49 PM   #9551
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
That is a good point. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that Markstrom cost the team no less than 10 points in the standings. He isn't the only player that is disappointing this season. Sutter may have some faults, but hard to blame him when some players aren't executing.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:33 PM   #9552
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I think it’s been a tale of two very different teams. Last year we seemed to play a very high-paced style, with quick transition that really tilted the ice in our favour. This year, we seem like we are sitting back more, letting the play come to us. Obviously, our zone entry is a problem too. Huby said that we play slow hockey here, as opposed to Florida- I don’t think he would have said that last year.
Personally, I don’t think the system has changed at all. Why would he change the system that produced a 50 win season for him? In terms of “high pace” and “quick transition,” really you’re talking about one line here (top line) because Backlund’s line is still around and they’ve always been a dump and chase, grind it out kind of line. The 4th was mostly Lewis and Lucic, so they weren’t fast and the 3rd line was overall pretty mediocre last season.

So that brings us to last season’s top line. Without a doubt, they were fast, quick and could easily score on the rush. But a lot of that was driven by Gaudreau who is one of the best players in the league at gaining the zone with possession and he along with Tkachuk/Lindholm also dominated the transition game with their ability to kill plays quickly in the defensive zone which gave them more opportunities to counter attack on the rush.

But alas, 13/19 aren’t here anymore and nobody else on this team currently has the ability to stretch the ice or rush the puck up ice efficiently anymore. It’s not a system thing that’s the problem, it’s an individual skill thing at the moment. We lost the components that made this team incredibly dangerous on the rush. So, If Huberdeau wants to “play fast” like he did in Florida, then he needs to find a way to get better at holding on to pucks in the neutral zone, break down defensive structures and then find his linemates in transition like Gaudreau use to. Otherwise, it’s just an over-reliance on Kadri right now to mostly push the pace and he just doesn’t have the same playmaking skills, vision or one on one moves to be a dominant rush player.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #9553
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Personally, I don’t think the system has changed at all. Why would he change the system that produced a 50 win season for him? In terms of “high pace” and “quick transition,” really you’re talking about one line here (top line) because Backlund’s line is still around and they’ve always been a dump and chase, grind it out kind of line. The 4th was mostly Lewis and Lucic, so they weren’t fast and the 3rd line was overall pretty mediocre last season.

So that brings us to last season’s top line. Without a doubt, they were fast, quick and could easily score on the rush. But a lot of that was driven by Gaudreau who is one of the best players in the league at gaining the zone with possession and he along with Tkachuk/Lindholm also dominated the transition game with their ability to kill plays quickly in the defensive zone which gave them more opportunities to counter attack on the rush.

But alas, 13/19 aren’t here anymore and nobody else on this team currently has the ability to stretch the ice or rush the puck up ice efficiently anymore. It’s not a system thing that’s the problem, it’s an individual skill thing at the moment. We lost the components that made this team incredibly dangerous on the rush. So, If Huberdeau wants to “play fast” like he did in Florida, then he needs to find a way to get better at holding on to pucks in the neutral zone, break down defensive structures and then find his linemates in transition like Gaudreau use to. Otherwise, it’s just an over-reliance on Kadri right now to mostly push the pace and he just doesn’t have the same playmaking skills, vision or one on one moves to be a dominant rush player.
Everything you say is true, and I know the system hasn't changed-but last year, even the second and third lines seemed to be able to transition and push the pace. Like I said, we were one of the best 5 on 5 teams last season. Just seems like we are playing slower, and waiting for the play to come to us.

You're also right that not having 13/19 on the team makes a huge difference, and trying to fill the gap with players that are new to the system has been difficult.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:51 PM   #9554
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

NvM. Troll job I think.

Last edited by dammage79; 02-05-2023 at 04:56 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 04:52 PM   #9555
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Friedman saying he's expecting Kyrou and Tarasenko to be Flames really soon. With Lucic going the other way. Who else goes? Mangi?
Excuse me?

Where did you see this?
Old 02-05-2023, 04:55 PM   #9556
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Excuse me?

Where did you see this?
Brother sent the tweet. I'm checking it out. So far looks like a troll job.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:56 PM   #9557
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Friedman saying he's expecting Kyrou and Tarasenko to be Flames really soon. With Lucic going the other way. Who else goes? Mangi?

Ah yes the classic "lets sign our best young player for 8 years and trade him before his 65 million dollar contract even begins"
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:59 PM   #9558
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitix View Post
Ah yes the classic "lets sign our best young player for 8 years and trade him before his 65 million dollar contract even begins"
You mock. And it seems like the tweet was a troll job. But that's happened plenty enough in the NHL.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:59 PM   #9559
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stuff happens....
Old 02-05-2023, 08:33 PM   #9560
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm wondering, Stars are looking good this season, if they are looking to make a deal, Gurianov has somewhat turned into their Sam Bennett, I wonder what the cost would be to get him. Big, fast, plays RW, could be a good reclamation.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post: