Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #21
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was in Scotland a few years back and purchased a bottle of Aberlour 15 year old single malt; one of the most heavenly smooth drinks i've ever had
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also like Rusty Nails, just a nice smooth, tasty drink.

I wouldnt make it with anything other than JW Red though. Really good scotch isnt for mixing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #23
@theCBE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Caol Ila is my favourite. I really like Lagavulin as well... I tend to like a Scotch with a strong peaty taste.

I tried a bit of Talisker and was really impressed. I will probably buy a bottle in the future... when I can afford to buy scotch again. I recieved a bottle of aberlour as a gift a few months ago and it was really smooth, a good scotch for someone trying to acquire the taste. It has almost none of that medicinal taste to it.

I prefer single malts and I usually drink them neat, maybe a splash of water. If I'm drinking a blend like JW red I'll throw in some ice as it makes it more of a refreshing drink. I tried a blend called Monkey shoulder and it was really good, and had a really cool bottle too. I'm not sure if you can buy it in Canada though.
@theCBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #24
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
Troutman ... I beg to differ with you about Rusty Nail's. That's probably my favourite cocktail. it's my drink of choice on Christmas day in fact. To each their own I guess, eh?
ask Aeneas sometime about my 18th birthday party [shudder]

It involved Rusty Nails, and getting shot at.

Last edited by troutman; 08-29-2008 at 01:25 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #25
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I had an extremely long evening there a few months ago trying a bunch of the fine scotches there! Fantastic selection. (and arguably one of the best steak restaurants in the city)
We go there for our annual firm summer time dinner retreat. Well, two out of three summers so far anyway.

There are a few scotch drinkers at my place of business and about 3 or 4 who didn't take a lot of prodding to give it a try.

To me, the difference between a good scotch and the one you probably tried when you were 18 is similar to the difference between the tequila shoot in a bar and the good stuff you sip down in Mexico. I'm not a tequila fan but after trying a few good varieties at a tasting in Playa del Carmen it really opened my eyes.

The first time I tried a good scotch was with a lawyer from Great Falls at a wedding reception. Until then it was all JW Red, Cutty Sark, J&B. There was clearly a world of difference.

Anyone who is at all curious about scotch should try to hit up a place like Buchanan's with excellent selection or, better yet, partake in a tasting at some place like Willow Park.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #26
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

J&B ... Straight (while listening to Huey Lewis?)

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-29-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #27
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Enjoy the tasting! I was first introduced to good scotch at a tasting about three years ago. I agree with others that it was a "revelation", and now I keep at least one bottle on hand at all times.

Favourites are MacCallan, Talisker and Oban. I keep a bottle of Glenfiddich for mixed drinks...like Rusty Nails which I love!!!

For some reason I can't watch an episode of Boston Legal or House without a glass of scotch.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
ask Aeneas sometime about my 18th birthday party [shudder]

It involved Rusty Nails, and getting shot at.
They had guns back then? Were they just throwing rocks?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #29
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
How did you get half price tickets?
My cousin, who lives in that area got them. Apparently they were half price because we bought them so early, sort of like a pre-sale.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #30
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any Glenlivet. Neat.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #31
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glen Breton Rare is a nice one about not too expensive at $74 here in NB. Also This is a Canadian Distillery in Cape Breton that uses all of the same techniques from Scotland.

They are actually being sued by the Scotish Whiskey Board or something to trya dn make them take the 'Glen' out of their name.

http://www.glenoradistillery.com/glenbreton.htm
TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #32
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never tried it and don't know anyone who drinks it which sucks cause I have always wanted to try but I am not shelling out that kind of coin for something I may not like.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #33
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Oban is my favourite, I was in Oban a few years ago and went on the distillery tour. It was one of the most informative things I've ever done, and gave me a real appreciation for Scotch. My grandfather was from that tiny town, really cool place.

Scotch is definitely an acquired taste. It took me several years to appreciate it. And I usually have to be in the right mood for it.

I like the other classic malts as well. But a Scotch should always be a single malt, made in Scotland, and never ever poisoned with ice. Always neat!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #34
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
At an office function a couple months ago we were at Buchanan's
!!!! Buchanan's is the place to be for scotch drinkers. I live a few blocks away and just love how you can have a 1964 Tullibardine with a fantastic cheeseburger in a casual, relaxed setting. At my place, I currently have: Tullibardine moscatel cask, glenrothes 1991, talisker 1995 cask strength, laphroaig, aberlour. yummy yum.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #35
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
Glen Breton Rare is a nice one about not too expensive at $74 here in NB. Also This is a Canadian Distillery in Cape Breton that uses all of the same techniques from Scotland.

They are actually being sued by the Scotish Whiskey Board or something to trya dn make them take the 'Glen' out of their name.

http://www.glenoradistillery.com/glenbreton.htm
I went for a distillery tour last time I was out in cape breton, pretty cool to hear about how they've attempted to make it as authentic as possible but give it a couple distinctive canadian touches. And while their scotch isn't one of my favorites (I like mine with a bit more sea and peat), it's a decent scotch nonetheless.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #36
jydk
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

edit

Last edited by jydk; 10-21-2008 at 03:20 PM.
jydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #37
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have really gotten on the Scotch/Whisky/Whiskey thing (in moderation of course) the last couple years (v. beer or even my old stand-by of wine).

I really tried and tried to like the Scotch and/or Rye Whisky (Canadian) out there but I keep coming back to the Bourbon Whiskey (American), which I just enjoy soo much.

I find the Bourbon has sweeter undertones, without being overly sweet, and is just more enjoyable to drink especially with food.

Jack Daniels is the easiest to get at a good price of course but I REALLY like the Knob Creek (soooo good!), a small batch specialty Bourbon from Jim Beam as well as the Makers Mark -- another nice small batch Bourdon.

The one Scotch I really like is the MaCallan that has been mentioned a number of times. I really like their 'Oak Series' though which is funny because it is a newer thing (post-2004?) where they are using used imported Bourbon barrels for the aging.... so I am back to the Bourbon undertones despite it being real Scotch!

A friend and I were at Moxies (Market Mall) the other day and we ordered the 12yr McCallan they had on the menu ($6-something/glass) and enjoyed 2 rounds (4 total drinks). Then the bill comes and it is $100! Turns out their new drink menu had 12yr on the menu but they only had 21 year in the back and on the computer! So despite it not even being on the menu we managed to drink $100 worth of scotch for the then corrected priced of ~$24!! The best part is that we did notice that it was FANTASTIC Scotch for only $6/glass! hahaha, no kidding!

Number 1:

Number 2:

Number 3:

Claeren.
Claeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #38
BuzzardsWife
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My son likes scotch so I thought I'd buy him a nice expensive bottle for his bday. I've heard that anything over 25 years is not good. Any suggestions? The guy at Willow Park suggested Glenmorangie? I'd like to spend around 100 to 150 dollars.
BuzzardsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #39
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeren View Post
I really tried and tried to like the Scotch and/or Rye Whisky (Canadian) out there but I keep coming back to the Bourbon Whiskey (American), which I just enjoy soo much.

I find the Bourbon has sweeter undertones, without being overly sweet, and is just more enjoyable to drink especially with food.
Yup, some very good bourbons out there; I usually keep a bottle of JD around the house for cooking, and then a bottle of Labrot & Graham's Woodford Reserve for drinking. Knob Creek is also great.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #40
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also like the Woodford Reserve, it was the one that I considered adding to my list but left out in the end...

Claeren.
Claeren is offline   Reply With Quote