Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #1
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Impact of arena negotiation tactics and election interference on STHs?

Question to the Season Ticket Holders out there: Between comments and tweets and attempts to interfere in our municipal election over the past year from members of the organization (including Ken King, Brian Burkes, Sean Kelso and Jason Markusoff)....does it make you think twice about renewing or keeping season tickets ? Has this been a factor in any of you giving up season tickets in the past couple years?

I'm keeping mine for now - mostly because I have a lot of confidence in the assembled team - but the organization's antics have really left me sour. But if the team was still in rebuild mode (ie - if this was 2010-2016) I would have given up my tickets. I sincerely want to see someone in the organization get the boot over this fiasco. Probably Ken King would make me most happy.

The bottom line, in my eyes, is that the organization is seemingly shedding its "community asset" feathers in place of "community pariah" ones. Curious if anyone is the same? Or do most of you disassociate the business from the game?
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Jason Markusoff is reporter for Macleans.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Question to the Season Ticket Holders out there: Between comments and tweets and attempts to interfere in our municipal election over the past year from members of the organization (including Ken King, Brian Burkes, Sean Kelso and Jason Markusoff)....does it make you think twice about renewing or keeping season tickets ? Has this been a factor in any of you giving up season tickets in the past couple years?

I'm keeping mine for now - mostly because I have a lot of confidence in the assembled team - but the organization's antics have really left me sour. But if the team was still in rebuild mode (ie - if this was 2010-2016) I would have given up my tickets. I sincerely want to see someone in the organization get the boot over this fiasco. Probably Ken King would make me most happy.

The bottom line, in my eyes, is that the organization is seemingly shedding its "community asset" feathers in place of "community pariah" ones. Curious if anyone is the same? Or do most of you disassociate the business from the game?
I do try to disassociate the business from the game, but that's not the reason I don't share your view point. The organizations antics have not left me sour at all. That's not to say I feel they've been perfect or even effective in certain realms, but I'm not sour at all, and I find your deceleration of election interference very dramatic.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Jason Markusoff is reporter for Macleans.
Maybe it was supposed to be Eric Francis in that list?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Election interfering is a bit strong.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes it has. I will be watching games but not contributing financially to the Flames for the time being. Maybe thats just me cause i hate slimy corporations.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

No effect on me. I separate the business side from the hockey. Largely apathetic towards the business side. I do want a new arena and willing to pay for it (as a tax payer and ticket tax). I honestly don't care about the comments one way or another. People can say what they want and can think what they want it is all the new age social media. It is all part of the process now so I try not to get worked up about it. Rather spend my time on the positive side of things. Generally my philosophy, which has worked thus far in my life.

Just because I read it yesterday, from Treliving

Quote:
Attitude is the most powerful thing you can encounter. The best thing is you get to choose it every day.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

No. They’re a business. Of course they’re going to want to elect officials that support their interests. Just like every other business, including mom and pop.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We continue to buy our season tickets every year, which my dad (who passed away a few yeas ago) first purchased when the team moved from Atlanta. He and mom were so excited when the NHL came to Calgary, as were we as kids....

So we have been loyal season ticket holders year in, year out, during the good times and the bad....

I know Ken King and Co. have been following the instructions of ownership throughout the process but I share the view that from the start this has been a PR disaster. I imagine the large majority of the STH base is annoyed to say the least.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #10
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Election interfering is a bit strong.
A bit?

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I concur with Bingo's article. It's mathematically impossible for an new arena to be built and operated at a huge loss by owners only. I want the Flames to stay in Calgary. There is a civic aspect to this.

I'm hoping Naheed Nenshi will revisit and take the initiative to get talks rolling and work to get a deal that will work for both sides as soon as possible. It would be an economic boon and help get things moving in the right direction and show good faith.

The not Nenshi vote was still a massive amount and while it's not linked to the arena debate, it means that Nenshi isn't all inclusive, didn't have a huge victory and ought to get to doing the work for the Nenshi and Bill Smith vote, not just the Nenshi vote.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm staggered by how unprofessional those two twitter accounts are (flames vp and director comms). Just spouting off about politics left right and centre and lots of childish political retweets of meme level discourse.

They're trying to claim the opinions are not those of CSEC but it's just another example of their organization's mismanagement of communications through this whole arena debacle. Not only is this occurring, these are their organizational leaders and one is a comms expert...

In most companies spouting off on politics using social media where you identify as an employee of ____ company is a no no, most companies have something in their code of ethics about use of social media. And more generally I think it's the mark of some pretty poor judgement even though I know they think they are somehow swaying people to their cause.

I'm someone who buys just individual tickets and merch from them and it won't influence me though. The flames are bigger and more important to me than any one idiot... didn't stop supporting them when they've employed some pretty lowlife players over the years and won't now.

Last edited by Matty81; 10-17-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like it, I have great cheap seats.

The longer we stay in the Saddledome the better. New arena will be 30-40% more and you won't be able to smoke. Hell I may stop buying them in the new arena.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #14
bcneil
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Has no impact on my decision to have and keep my season tickets. I agree with Djones. I like my cheap greens and orange seats.
bcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bcneil For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #15
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I'm staggered by how unprofessional those two twitter accounts are (flames vp and director comms). Just spouting off about politics left right and centre and lots of childish political retweets of meme level discourse.

They're trying to claim the opinions are not those of CSEC but it's just another example of how unprofessional their organization is imo. Not only is this occurring, these are their organizational leaders? And one is a comms expert?

In most companies spouting off on politics using social media where you identify as an employee of ____ company is a no no, most companies have something in their code of ethics about use of social media. And more generally I think it's the mark of some pretty poor judgement even though I know they think they are somehow swaying people to their cause.

I'm someone who buys just individual tickets and merch from them and it won't influence me though. The flames are bigger and more important to me than any one idiot... didn't stop supporting them when they've employed some pretty lowlife players over the years and won't now.
Do your posts here represent the views of the firm who employs you?
Does that firm monitor your posts to insure proper messaging? Should they?
Or is it only in certain circumstances that this standard becomes relevant?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #16
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm really strongly considering cancelling due to the arena debacle. I am fairly certain that barring a long playoff run that this will be my last year contributing financially to the csec
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #17
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ditto DJones. (Well other than the smoking part!).

I am a STH probably only as long as the Flames remain in the Saddledome. I am convinced that a new arena will displace the seats I enjoy now with box or club level seating marketed towards corporate clients and clientele more wealthy than myself.

I will not be willing to spend extra money on the vastly diminished view the Flames will usher me towards. The loss in value will be a bitter pill that I won't swallow.

I hope the new arena festers for another decade.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #18
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Do your posts here represent the views of the firm who employs you?
Does that firm monitor your posts to insure proper messaging? Should they?
Or is it only in certain circumstances that this standard becomes relevant?
It's relevant where you identify as a member of the firm on the same social media account or you make comments that impact their business. If I was posting as an employee of ____ to lend weight to my tweets or get more attention, they would care.

My company basically says, you are free to your own opinion and to spout off about it... don't identify as an employee of our company when you do. Obviously there are societal standards for hate speech and harassment that bring in special circumstances but otherwise we all have freedom of speech as private citizens.

Where you do ID yourself as an employee, whether intentionally or implied by members of the public, folks will associate your opinion with the company and potentially lend more weight to it and/or possibly bring the company into disrepute or conflict. Maybe you even alienate customers... and for most businesses, it's just pointless to take that risk.

Pretty standard boilerplate stuff in most big companies' codes of ethics, conduct or behavior.

Last edited by Matty81; 10-17-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #19
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have had mine since 99 and my father since the Saddledome opened and we have both continued and will continue to buy them .. that said this whole process has been rather disheartening ... I want a new rink and know it is not feasible for one to be built entirely with private money ... Nenshi's tone is really getting on my nerves , he has to know the Flames are gone unless the city partnerships with the team to get this done and he sounds like he is not willing to give an inch ... having an arena and NHL team adds to the quality of life and is an asset to this city , a lot more so than the 16 day Olympic party he is pushing for .... I am not mad at the Flames for trying to make their operations viable , maybe King for the way he has handled it but its the owners who are driving him so maybe that is misplaced too ... deep down I hope the Flames do not move and this issued gets resolved but as of right now I can't say I'm confident with it ....
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stamps For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #20
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I do try to disassociate the business from the game, but that's not the reason I don't share your view point. The organizations antics have not left me sour at all. That's not to say I feel they've been perfect or even effective in certain realms, but I'm not sour at all, and I find your declaration of election interference very dramatic.

My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote