Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #21
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Yep I was going to say add Monahan to the good list so far. He's a slow starter sometimes but not so far this year!
I'll just add that he has the GWG in 3 of the 4 wins. The guy seems to quietly go about his business but then you look at the end of the night and he always has the clutch goal.

Seems to have carried his play from the playoffs into this season, great news
HitterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #22
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

PP is atrocious, overpassing the puck all the time (especially when Jagr on the ice).
Opponents so far have been playing poorly, so tough to say how good/bad the team really is.
Smith has been great.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #23
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one has looked particularly bad to me but the team discipline is a big issue.

It is a funny start in that I don't think team has played great but the record is better than I expected. I will take that as a positive as I'm sure they start playing better.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lazar had a ton of jump when he first got in but it has tapered off a bit.

He's got to keep bringing it, makes him a positive contributor and not just a passenger.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #25
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
No one has looked particularly bad to me but the team discipline is a big issue.

It is a funny start in that I don't think team has played great but the record is better than I expected. I will take that as a positive as I'm sure they start playing better.
This is why a good starter is so important to good teams. Even top teams don't always have their legs under them, but if their starter can hold them in games even when they don't exert a full 60, they can often still walk away with points.

Teams that have to play at 90-100% to eek out their wins generally won't be at the top of the standings at the end of the year.

Smith allows for this team to have some blemishes while not falling out of the race in the standings (in fact, staying in the thick of it). A blessing they did not have really since Kiprusoff.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #26
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lazar played well until the sens game but really no one played well that game. Some players are struggling to find chemistry but it'll come
Old 10-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #27
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good:

Gaudreau
Smith
Brodie
Hamonic
Jagr (not really his play, just the fact we have freakin' Jagr)

The bad:
Sam Bennett

Other than that I think everyone else is playing as expected. Brouwer has been decent but his contract prevents him from making the good list.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #28
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
PP is atrocious, overpassing the puck all the time (especially when Jagr on the ice).
I get so annoyed at these types of posts. The Flames power play is right around the middle of the pack right now. Yes, I would agree that it has not been great and has the potential to be a lot better. But no, "atrocious" is not a word that comes even remotely close to characterizing something that has been average or at worst pedestrian. The hyperbole is both unnecessary and aggravating.

Quote:
Opponents so far have been playing poorly, so tough to say how good/bad the team really is...
How convenient. If we agree that the reason for this has to do with almost ALL NHL teams sorting out early season kinks, then I would say that the Flames are in good company. Why would we expect everyone else to improve while Calgary stagnates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #29
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
But the Flames have had moments in which they have looked very good. From the second period in the home opener to mid-way through the second of the LA Kings game I would say that the Flames looked very good. I think the slip at home had a lot to do with the emotional expenditure that followed a S. California sweep, and the lack of 5 v 5 time on Saturday made it impossible for them to bet any traction or rhythm.

I agree. I expect them to start looking consistently better, but I think with how the third period in the LA game went down, and with how the Ottawa game unfolded people are too quick to ignore how the team looked prior to then.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #30
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Need a couple games where they allow something in that 20-24 shots against range to bring down that average a bit closer to normal.

They actually did that quite a bit last year. The goalies were just leaky as all heck.
Hey guys can't remember the source. But average shots for each team are sitting around 35 this year. There's going to be a big difference between shots against and actual scoring chances against. Dont think shots are gonna mean much this season. Expecting lots of 94.0+ save percentages
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #31
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good

Getting wins despite not being in sync. There is virtually no difference between last year's start and this year's other than two things. Mike Smith playing at a level similar to Elliott/Johnson's best from last year and the quality of the opponents. If the Flames had to play tougher teams, they probably would not have as many points right now. The only two good non-injured teams that they have faced won by a combined score of 9-0. Anaheim is beat up and the other teams are not likely going to make the playoffs.

Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan are ready to start the season.

TJ Brodie has an NHL defense partner.

The Bad

Pretty much everything that contributed to the horrid start a year ago is still there. Fluked out to a 4-2 start frankly. Yes they won a number of games. They are also deep and that contributes to that. However, they cannot continue to play like this otherwise losses will start to pile up. They play 6 good teams in their next 6 games with only Dallas and Carolina being on the weaker side. If they do not make alterations to their lack of attention to details that has plagued them in their first six games, I would be surprised if they win more than 2 of the next 6.

That all being said, they have a perfect opportunity with the 4 days off to get things in order so that way they are not making as many poor decisions, especially those that lead to penalties, and can continue adding wins to their record. They should not be happy with their start despite their record.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #32
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
...The Bad

Pretty much everything that contributed to the horrid start a year ago is still there. Fluked out to a 4-2 start frankly...
I fundamentally reject this. The only one of the Flames wins that I would characterize as "fortunate" was in LA.

Quote:
They play 6 good teams in their next 6 games with only Dallas and Carolina being on the weaker side. If they do not make alterations to their lack of attention to details that has plagued them in their first six games, I would be surprised if they win more than 2 of the next 6.
Sure, but what we are seeing is a lot of teams still finding their footing; the Flames included. I am honestly not the least bit worried about the lack of attention to detail. Timing is off, and a lot of players are overthinking and forcing things, but you can still see the strengths of this team and the talent of the group as a whole even in spite of the blunders. They will figure it out.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #33
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good:

Smith has been a pleasant surprise and has been unreal after a shaky preseason
Gaudreau looks to be back in superstar form
Hamonic and Brodie look really good together and the Flames could have 2 legit first pairings once the d-zone settles down a bit
I have been pleased with the play of our top pair, second line and Monahan as well
Signing Jagr was awesome and it is fun to see him out there in a Flames jersey

The bad
Brouwer is a 4th liner and it appears nothing more. No bounce back and a tough contract to live with
Sam Bennett is looking bad out there. Still takes bad penalties and not much danger from him in the offensive zone. I think he should be switched to wing here soon and I was a believer that he should be centre.
Lastly despite clearly making the team Jankowski is in the minors.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #34
Flamesm
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The good:

Gaudreau
Smith
Brodie
Hamonic
Jagr (not really his play, just the fact we have freakin' Jagr)

The bad:
Sam Bennett

Other than that I think everyone else is playing as expected. Brouwer has been decent but his contract prevents him from making the good list.
How do you not add in Gio in the good?? he has been very good so far..
Flamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #35
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The good:

Smith has been a pleasant surprise and has been unreal after a shaky preseason
Gaudreau looks to be back in superstar form
Hamonic and Brodie look really good together and the Flames could have 2 legit first pairings once the d-zone settles down a bit
I have been pleased with the play of our top pair, second line and Monahan as well
Signing Jagr was awesome and it is fun to see him out there in a Flames jersey...
Am I the only one who is a little underwhelmed by D. Hamilton's performance so far? He has been quiet, and I have found myself expecting more from him most games.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #36
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Am I the only one who is a little underwhelmed by D. Hamilton's performance so far? He has been quiet, and I have found myself expecting more from him most games.
You're not the only one. Honestly, I have him as the 4th best defenseman we have on the team now. Brodie #1, Gio #2, Hamonic #3, and Hamilton as #4. Hamilton needs to play a lot better in his own zone. I think Brodie and Hamonic have really hit it off, Hamonic was a solid acquisition. He allows Brodie to be more offensive.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
You're not the only one. Honestly, I have him as the 4th best defenseman we have on the team now. Brodie #1, Gio #2, Hamonic #3, and Hamilton as #4. Hamilton needs to play a lot better in his own zone. I think Brodie and Hamonic have really hit it off, Hamonic was a solid acquisition. He allows Brodie to be more offensive.
Hmmm. My order has been Gio, Hamonic, Hamilton and Brodie (tie) as far as an all around game goes. Gio has been the best Dman by far IMO. Hamonic has been solid. Brodie has been very inconsistent, even within games. Hamilton the same. Last game Brodie skated well at times, but he also took two penalties (the same number and type that "undisciplined" Sam Bennett took. Brodie looked terrible in the first game (I know everyone did, but was really bad). he looked bad in the first half of the Winnipeg game, then turned it around. He was great against Anaheim, OK against LA. I didn't notice him as much last game.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #38
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good
- Smith. Team MVP thus far.
- PK, stone hasn't been on the ice for a PP goal against i believe
- Gaudreau/Monahan manage to contribute to the score sheet nightly
- tkachuck looks even better than last year
- Offense from our Dmen
- Small chunks of time where our top4 D look game controlling 5 on 5

Bad
- Bennett yet to hit the score sheet, and general lack of offensive contribution
- Ferland, largely invisible in the first set of games before getting hurt
- too many penalties, too many dumb penalties

Meh....?
- Brouwer has done ok. I'd be satisfied if he can continue playing the way he has. Defended a teammate, effective on the PK, and generally seems a hell of a lot more interested in the game so far
- Lazar has provided some jump. If he can provide speed off the wing, he'll find a way into the line up.
- Glass, is a reasonable 4th liner.
- Bartkowkski has been a decent #6.
- i'm not sold on Jagr just yet. When he does get some offensive zone time, you can see he can still make plays, though he seems a bit slow and fatigued. I am very interested to see how he looks after this gap in games after getting in some rest and training/practice.

- I just can't understand why Jankowski isn't here yet. The team didn't miss stajan at all. If F. Hamilton can fill in for him, then he just isn't doing much on the ice. Jankowski easily slides into that 4th line C role. Nice sheltered place for him to start getting in some regular games.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #39
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
But the Flames have had moments in which they have looked very good. From the second period in the home opener to mid-way through the second of the LA Kings game I would say that the Flames looked very good. I think the slip at home had a lot to do with the emotional expenditure that followed a S. California sweep, and the lack of 5 v 5 time on Saturday made it impossible for them to bet any traction or rhythm.

I agree. I expect them to start looking consistently better, but I think with how the third period in the LA game went down, and with how the Ottawa game unfolded people are too quick to ignore how the team looked prior to then.
No arguments here. It's a small sample size and there has been inconsistency within that small sample, so its hard to draw any far reaching conclusions.

Most importantly they have amassed a few points and finally a won a game in Anaheim. As the season progresses the team will improve as will the teams around them, so we will get a better read on things. But good news is that we don't need to make up ground on anybody.

I was initially lukewarm on Smith and thought it was silly that Treliving had to give up what he did for him considering the goalie market. That said, I'm not surprised Smith has started well as I'm sure the change was energizing for him. It really would be fantastic if he is able to sustain this level of play for the year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #40
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I cant ever remember the flames being a team that on multiple occasions throughout a game, they would pin you in your own zone 5v5 for enough time to squeeze in a line change. I have watched it a number of times this year which makes me excited as I believe down low along the boards can win you hockey games. You tire the other team out and they either take a penalty or you eventually get a great scoring chance.

Ferland will bounce back as soon as he is advised what his roll is. If he is on line 1 then he can't be a bruiser and I don't think he is the right skillset to play with the top line. If he is line 3 then worry about letting his big shot go any chance he gets without double checking for an open Mony or Johny, bang bodies and play sound defensively....much more suited to his game IMO.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post: