Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Will Any Calgary Flames’ Prospects Play in the 2018 Olympics?

The men's tournament at the 2018 Winter Olympics will be held in Pyeongchang, between 14 and 25 February 2018.

From what I understand the Canadian Olympic hockey team was playing in the summer with this roster which features a few Flames alumni:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/wi...ters-1.4222527

Still, it sounds like AHL players will be allowed to participate come February of 2018:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...ght-candidates
As such, it is likely that the Canadian team might be shuffled to include the likes of Mark Jankowski or other similar AHL prospects.

Another interesting point is that the USA might send some NCAA prospects, is 19-year-old Adam Fox on the Americans radar?

Of course, Flames fans, and International members of this site might also be interested to know whether or not some of the European Flames prospects will have the opportunity to play for their country. Moreover, a handful of players in the Flames system are playing overseas and are consequently eligible for the tournament. Will they make the cut?

Mostly, I am interested in what the CP hive mind has to say about this so please discuss.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Any Flames prospects assigned to the AHL with a 2 way NHL deal are not allowed to participate in the olympics. That rules out Jankowski and most of the Heat. Players on AHL only deals can still go, but with the exception of Ollas Mattsson, none of the AHL only players are really Flames prospects.

Really Fox is the only one that might have a chance, I forget where but I read somewhere he is on the radar.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about Adam Ruzicka? How many talented eligible players does Slovakia have? Is it fair to say that most CHL players will be over looked?

Edit: This article outlines the general shape of most of the Olympic hockey teams including Slovakia http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...hape-1.4358788

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 10-19-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Ruzicka maybe but I doubt it. You would have to think if he was in consideration he would have been playing/practicing with the men's national team this summer. He wasn't. I haven't seen any buzz about him being an Olympic potential

Also keep in mind that countries needed to provide the IOC with a large list of candidates for PED testing months ahead (IIRC some time in July) of the games. So recent play might not even matter if a player was already left off the PED testing lists.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-19-2017 at 11:48 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this is all together less exciting than I had hoped. Still, its interesting enough. Thanks sureLoss.

Along the PED testing line of thought, do players in the world juniors have to under go these tests as well? My guess is even if they did the IOC would still demand their own.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you expand the list from prospects and to former Flames, then there'll be a couple right?

MayRay for Canada and I think Dustin Boyd and Nigel Dawes I read somewhere now make glorious for Kazakhstan?
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The "long list" had to be submitted to the IOC on October 1.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics