Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-03-2020, 04:39 AM   #2381
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took my 2015 MacBook Pro in for service and to have the hard drive wiped as the latest OS would not install.

Also kept losing my internet connection but they could not find the problem with hardware or software.

Anyone keep losing wifi from a MacBook?

Thanks!
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:40 AM   #2382
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

dp
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #2383
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
As of right now, when you buy a new Apple Watch Series 3, it already has OS 6, so out of the box the Apple Watch doesn't work with her Apple phone. It's preposterous. The hardware works together fine because this watch used to work with this phone. Now, they changed the software on the watch and it prevents it from working with their own phone. It would cost them $0 to make sure they still worked well together, but instead, they would rather I spend $1,000 or so on a new phone for the privilege of using their products together.

Maybe some of you who have been loyal to Apple for years don't see a problem with this. Other ecosystems I have experience with don't do this type of thing. I've had a Pebble smartwatch, a Fossil smartwatch and a Samsung smartwatch. All of the watches I've had will work with any phone, be it iOS or Android. I know it's not a challenge for these companies to allow a friggin' watch to be paired to a phone. It's a nothing. Apple allowed this with my wife's phone, and then they took it away. You can say, 'larf, look at this guy expecting free stuff from Apple' or whatever it is you tell yourself that lets you accept ridiculous stuff like this, but I'm not going to. I know it's an a-hole move on their part and it annoys me.

I would bet there is a real software reason to do it not planned obsolescence. Making backwards compatible software is a significant development challenge so at some point you no longer support it. So while I agree it sucks and Apple has some of the shortest life spans it isnt driven to push you to upgrade. It’s driven likely to reduce programming cost or improve performance on the latest versions.

It’s kind of like the battery where Apple would cripple performance to ensure you maintained battery life. That was a design decision to try to optimize operation of the phone whereas people thought it was planned obsolescence.

I still do not like Apple but I disagree it’s vindictive, it’s lazy people instead
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #2384
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh yeah and sorry if it seemed I was annoyed by your comments because I wasn't. Just annoyed at Apple. They don't operate how I like companies to operate, but I'm not their customer anymore so it typically doesn't affect me.
I am more than willing to call out Apple when they do sh-tty things, but this is a weird critique. Apple might just be the best in the mobile space for their long product support lifecycles.

iPhone 6 - Device released in September 2014, received x.y iOS updates until 12.4 in July 2019 -- last major/minor release until iOS 13. 5 years of major OS update support across 5 major OS releases, but still receiving iOS 12.4 revisions as recent as March 2020 (12.4.6).

Samsung Galaxy S7 (a flagship Android device) - Device released in March 2016, received its last major update in mid-2018 to Android 8.0 (which went GA in mid-2017). Funny thing is, mid-2018 is when Google released Android 9.0 so the phone was again behind as soon as it got the update. The S7 will not see an update beyond Android 8.1, receiving only security hotfixes. 2 years of major OS update support across 3 major OS releases, technically 1 year if you count that the OS wasn't even current by the time they released it. It last received a security hotfix in February 2020 (I have one as a Wi-Fi only device) but still only received two major OS updates before being put out to pasture.

Google Pixel (1st gen) - Device released in October 2016 on Android 7.1, final major OS update (10.0) delivered in September 2019, final official security hotfix was delivered in December 2019. 3 years of major OS update support across 4 major OS releases.

Google is probably the fairest comparison in that they too own development of the OS and the device. And they don't provide nearly as good product support as Apple.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #2385
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I am more than willing to call out Apple when they do sh-tty things, but this is a weird critique. Apple might just be the best in the mobile space for their long product support lifecycles.

iPhone 6 - Device released in September 2014, received x.y iOS updates until 12.4 in July 2019 -- last major/minor release until iOS 13. 5 years of major OS update support across 5 major OS releases, but still receiving iOS 12.4 revisions as recent as March 2020 (12.4.6).

Samsung Galaxy S7 (a flagship Android device) - Device released in March 2016, received its last major update in mid-2018 to Android 8.0 (which went GA in mid-2017). Funny thing is, mid-2018 is when Google released Android 9.0 so the phone was again behind as soon as it got the update. The S7 will not see an update beyond Android 8.1, receiving only security hotfixes. 2 years of major OS update support across 3 major OS releases, technically 1 year if you count that the OS wasn't even current by the time they released it. It last received a security hotfix in February 2020 (I have one as a Wi-Fi only device) but still only received two major OS updates before being put out to pasture.

Google Pixel (1st gen) - Device released in October 2016 on Android 7.1, final major OS update (10.0) delivered in September 2019, final official security hotfix was delivered in December 2019. 3 years of major OS update support across 4 major OS releases.

Google is probably the fairest comparison in that they too own development of the OS and the device. And they don't provide nearly as good product support as Apple.
I'm pretty sure you didn't understand my gripe. In fact, if this were a Samsung product everything would have still worked. Apple took two products that worked great together and then upgraded one of those products so they couldn't be used together anymore. That's not a very good "update".
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:08 PM   #2386
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

My iPhone X has started bulging tonight. How dangerous is this swollen battery thing? Have no idea what induced it, just noticed the screen was sticking out about an hour ago.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #2387
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
My iPhone X has started bulging tonight. How dangerous is this swollen battery thing? Have no idea what induced it, just noticed the screen was sticking out about an hour ago.
A swollen battery can catch fire or explode. Don’t use the phone until you can get the battery replaced.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #2388
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
A swollen battery can catch fire or explode. Don’t use the phone until you can get the battery replaced.
I think the odds of it happening are low, but now I don't know where to store this thing overnight. Stupid Genius bar booked until Thursday and I need to use this phone for my VPN login in the morning. Left side of the display is noticeably above the frame.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #2389
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest danger is when charging, so if you have to, keep a very close eye on it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #2390
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

They replaced my phone completely this morning, cost was $90 for a battery swap. I think that was more than fair considering it was almost 3 years old and never had apple care.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #2391
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Was it $90 for a new battery or $90 for a new phone?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #2392
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was it $90 for a new battery or $90 for a new phone?
Both, they charge $90 for a new battery on that phone, but because the display was pushed up and needed replacement they opted to give me a new/refurb phone. I just paid the $90 to cover a battery replacement, the display replacement is another $350 or so which I wouldn't have to pay because the battery caused the damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 10:55 PM   #2393
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm having a strange issue with my iPhone 11 and the wifi in my house. I generally don't connect to wifi ever - I have a 20GB data plan so I never worry about overages. That said, when I do connect, it works.

That is, except when it connects to the network on its own overnight. When I charge my phone overnight it's usually disconnected from wifi. When I wake up it usually has connected to the network overnight. I suspect that this is because turning off wifi from the Control Panel is only temporary. The strange thing tho is that when I try to browse in the morning on the now connected wifi, I get 'no internet connection' notices. I disconnect from wifi and the cell connection works fine; I reconnect to wifi and it works fine.

Why would connecting to wifi overnight always be a 'no connection' in the morning?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:19 PM   #2394
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default General Apple Megathread

Something wrong with your wifi router? Connected to the right one?

Or maybe some IP conflict with another device. I had one device set to static, and it messed up things.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #2395
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
I'm having a strange issue with my iPhone 11 and the wifi in my house. I generally don't connect to wifi ever - I have a 20GB data plan so I never worry about overages. That said, when I do connect, it works.

That is, except when it connects to the network on its own overnight. When I charge my phone overnight it's usually disconnected from wifi. When I wake up it usually has connected to the network overnight. I suspect that this is because turning off wifi from the Control Panel is only temporary. The strange thing tho is that when I try to browse in the morning on the now connected wifi, I get 'no internet connection' notices. I disconnect from wifi and the cell connection works fine; I reconnect to wifi and it works fine.

Why would connecting to wifi overnight always be a 'no connection' in the morning?
Using the wifi button on the control panel only disconnects from that particular wifi connection for the day, you have to reconnect for it to activate that wifi again. Your issue on it not getting internet access again the next day sounds like it could be a setting in your router, what router are you using?
Old 08-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #2396
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe that 5am is when the wifi comes back on after being disabled in control centre, unless you turn it off fully from the settings. I also believe that it may be a router issue though.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:29 PM   #2397
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had the weirdest experience today. I was trying to compose an email and I would copy and paste some photos from the photo gallery, and after I did, the contents of the email vanished. I am not sure if its an Apple bug, or as I later found out I had Outlook open on my computer for that account. I don't think they would somehow conflict, would they?
Old 08-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #2398
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kid wants a new device (she's saved up some birthday money) but all she can afford is an iPod touch. Which I think is a waste of money.

She's open to an iPad mini but they are a lot more expensive (we found a refurbished one on Apple's website but it's a 4th generation and only 16 GB which kind of sucks). Her sister has a full-size iPad but she prefers something a little smaller.

Why the heck are mini's so expensive (especially compared to a regular size iPad)? /rant
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #2399
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default General Apple Megathread

How much is the touch or mini compared to the new iPhone SE? Maybe just get one and use it on wifi only until... whenever.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #2400
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How much is the touch or mini compared to the new iPhone SE? Maybe just get one and use it on wifi only until... whenever.
We thought about that, but it'll be at least a few years until she would need an actual smartphone... thinking we'd rather wait until then versus using an older phone by the time she's old enough.

Touch is $260 (?) at Costco. A new Mini 5 is $450-$500. A regular iPad 7 is $420 at Costco
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote