Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 UPD: Arbitrator upholds Voynov's 1 yr suspension but credits him 41 games served

News Update

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
The NHLPA has filed an appeal on behalf of Slava Voynov. The appeal will be heard by an impartial arbitrator.

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13101

Quote:
The National Hockey League announced today that defenseman Slava Voynov has been suspended for the entire 2019-20 NHL season (including Playoffs) for unacceptable off-ice conduct. Voynov’s eligibility to play in the NHL will be restored (assuming good behavior) no later than July 1, 2020.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman levied the suspension under Rule 18-A of the NHL/NHLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Commissioner’s ruling came following an investigation by the League and an in-person hearing in New York on Thursday, March 21. The investigation and hearing were conducted, pursuant to the terms of the CBA, to determine the relevant facts and circumstances relating to an Oct. 19, 2014, incident involving Voynov and his wife. The incident ultimately resulted in Voynov pleading no contest to a misdemeanor violation of § 273.5(a) of the California Penal Code on July 2, 2015.

Mr. Voynov originally was suspended indefinitely by the NHL following his arrest on Oct. 20, 2014.

“I have determined that Player Slava Voynov engaged in acts of domestic violence directed at his wife,” Commissioner Bettman said. “Today’s ruling, while tailored to the specific facts of this case and the individuals involved, is necessary and consistent with the NHL’s strongly-held policy that it cannot and will not tolerate this and similar types of conduct, particularly as directed at a spouse, domestic partner or family member.”

News Update

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
NHL/NHLPA announce arbitrator rules Slavs Voynov must serve a one-year suspension. He is credited for 41 games served, meaning he must sit 41 more.

Last edited by sureLoss; 05-23-2019 at 03:07 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I suspect Voynov appeals this in the near future.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. Now up to the individual teams if they want that piece of #### on their teams and ultimately up to the fans if they want to support such a team in a year from now.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Good. Now up to the individual teams if they want that piece of #### on their teams and ultimately up to the fans if they want to support such a team in a year from now.
Of course they will.

Just ask anyone who bought a Todd Bertuzzi Flames jersey how much people care about how awful a human being someone is if they can help win hockey games.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Of course they will.

Just ask anyone who bought a Todd Bertuzzi Flames jersey how much people care about how awful a human being someone is if they can help win hockey games.

Not even close to comparable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course they will.

Please tell me you’re not equating Bertuzzi to a ****ing wife beater.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Really? I mean both are terrible. Is beating your wife worse than trying to kill a guy on the ice and ending his career? You can argue that Bertuzzi was just trying to goon him up a bit but you watch the replay of that event and it becomes clear Bertuzzi had no control at all and was seriously trying to do as much permanent damage as he could do Moore.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #8
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
A guy who had a history of coming violently unhinged since his minor hockey days and whom chased an opponent down the ice and broke his neck in an unprovoked assault? In terms of where they stand on the scale of repugnant examples of humanity, they are far closer than you want them to be.

Which, incidentally, helps prove my point.

As long as he produces, whoever ultimately signs Voynov will see a good percentage of their fan base forgive that little wife beating thing.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #9
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

so we don't believe in second chances around here now?

Not saying I want anything to do with Voynov, but at a certain point, if he's truly reformed, 2014 is a long time ago.

Obviously not excusing anything he did, as it was horrible and truly despicable but shouldn't he be given some credit for the past 5 years of reformed behavior

(as long as he's shown remorse and made efforts to change. If not I retract this entire statement)

Last edited by The Boy Wonder; 04-09-2019 at 01:41 PM.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #10
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post

Not saying I want anything to do with Voynov, but at a certain point, if he's truly reformed, 2014 is a long time ago.

Obviously not excusing anything he did, as it was horrible and truly despicable but shouldn't be given some credit for the past 5 years of reformed behavior

(as long as he's shown remorse and made efforts to change. If not I retract this entire statement)
I am by no means condoning his conduct but doesn't this kind of thing happen in the NFL like every week and everyone barely makes a mention of it? They get a slap on the wrist from the the league and are back playing football in like 6 games.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post

Obviously not excusing anything he did, as it was horrible and truly despicable but shouldn't he be given some credit for the past 5 years of reformed behavior

Yes and no. He should get credit if he is, in fact, reformed, in the eyes of the law. Whether or not the NHL wants to employ him is their business. I'm fine with players being held to this standard or higher. There are plenty of talented hockey players, we don't need a**holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am by no means condoning his conduct but doesn't this kind of thing happen in the NFL like every week and everyone barely makes a mention of it? They get a slap on the wrist from the the league and are back playing football in like 6 games.
All the more reason for the NHL to show some actual courage and not put up with this BS in their league. The NFL is a joke when it comes to this stuff.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #12
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I suspect the Oilers would be able to look the other way on his "character" issues.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

*At risk of being absolutely rinsed here*

My issue with the 'don't employ him even after his suspension is over' narrative, is that nobody seemed to care when Heatley returned to the league, and his actions actually resulted in a death of a teammate.

There has to be an objective view taken in situations such as this. Sure, we look at hitting women as worse than hitting men, but the courts don't. If Voynov had beaten up a male friend, I doubt the reaction would've been as severe.

Once his suspension's over, he should be free to sign with whomever he pleases.

(As a disclaimer, before somebody misinterprets my post; no, I do not advocate hitting women, and personally never have and never will!)
Old 04-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #14
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? I mean both are terrible. Is beating your wife worse than trying to kill a guy on the ice and ending his career? You can argue that Bertuzzi was just trying to goon him up a bit but you watch the replay of that event and it becomes clear Bertuzzi had no control at all and was seriously trying to do as much permanent damage as he could do Moore.
“Trying to kill a guy”. Give me a break.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #15
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I seriously doubt any team would sign him.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #16
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That's quite the leap you took there.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #17
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course they will.

Sorry but attacking a player who won't drop the gloves, although terrible, is in no way, shape or form the equivalent of attacking your spouse.

It's comparing stealing a chocolate bar to a hate crime.

I've been a fan of the Flames through the Bertuzzi years and Marchment year but would burn my jerseys if they ever knowingly employed a women abuser again. Gilmour was already a big enough stain on this organization but times were different.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #18
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelsson View Post
My issue with the 'don't employ him even after his suspension is over' narrative, is that nobody seemed to care when Heatley returned to the league, and his actions actually resulted in a death of a teammate.
Heatley drove too fast and his teammate knowingly took the risk to an extremely unfortunate outcome. Let's not compare that to spousal abuse, entirely different situations.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelsson View Post
*At risk of being absolutely rinsed here*

There has to be an objective view taken in situations such as this. Sure, we look at hitting women as worse than hitting men, but the courts don't. If Voynov had beaten up a male friend, I doubt the reaction would've been as severe.

Once his suspension's over, he should be free to sign with whomever he pleases.

(As a disclaimer, before somebody misinterprets my post; no, I do not advocate hitting women, and personally never have and never will!)
The courts absolutely look at spousal abuse differently than normal assault.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #20
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm all for forgiving and 2nd chances in the correct situation. If he has indeed learned and improved himself and he has served his punishment doled out by the powers over him then why not? I still wouldn't want my team to sign him and it wouldn't bother me if he never returned to the NHL.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote