Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2020, 11:10 PM   #1101
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
This pandemic has really proved to me that without sports, I would never watch cable.

I dropped the sports channels for A&E and some other crap when everything shut down... and now I haven't watched any traditional cable TV since then. Now it's all Netflix and Crave.

To be fair, I did watch local news on cable for a few weeks in March when I was suddenly home all the time.

Everything else is on CBC GEM or CTV. CTB has their retro throwback catalog, which is cool. Tubi is another free app that has weird B movies.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:11 PM   #1102
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I will get the sports channels again soon- obviously. But when my current contract runs out I will drop TV and just sign up directly through Sportsnet if I want to keep watching hockey.

I’m piggybacking off of my parents still having cable and having me manage their account to use the subscriber login for TSN and Sportsnet should sports return.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:28 AM   #1103
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Biggest question is where you are in the city. Close to the transmitters, you may not need much. However, if you have Nose Hill between you and the transmitters, you may need something excessive.

I've tested this one out in Copperfield, and works great on all 6 channels:
https://www.primecables.ca/p-356275-...or-both-vhfuhf
Thanks for the reply. I am in Sundance in the SE. I bought a $30 RCA antenna from London Drugs and was able to get 3.5 of the channels out of 6 from my basement. Will try moving the antenna as high as possible on the main floor.

The RCA antenna is only rated for 40 miles so I'll take a look at the one you posted. Thanks.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #1104
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Biggest question is where you are in the city. Close to the transmitters, you may not need much. However, if you have Nose Hill between you and the transmitters, you may need something excessive.

I've tested this one out in Copperfield, and works great on all 6 channels:
https://www.primecables.ca/p-356275-...or-both-vhfuhf

My neighbor across the alley in Okotoks has one of those. Next time I see him I should ask him how well it works.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #1105
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking to cut the cord so I bought the Roku Ultra, however the quality is crap. Green and white horizontal lines across the screen and just general poor streaming quality. I tried three different HDMI cables, including the "premium" one it came with, and both a wired and wireless internet connection and nothing changed.

I do have an older TV -- it's a Panasonic Plasma from around 2007 -- but it has HDMI support and runs streaming apps through my cable box with absolutely no issue.

Is it just a bum unit or should I try a fire Stick instead? Anyone have luck with Roku and an older TV? I bought the ultra because of the Headphone jack mainly -- don't need the 4K streaming yet.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #1106
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I bought a Clearstream 2 at Best Buy a couple of years ago. I put it in my attic and ran a coax from the antenna, through the soffits and down the side of the house and in through the spot the cable came in then into the cable splitter to feed the other TV's. Picture is as good as it gets on all for all local stations with no issues. Faced mine towards signal hill as suggested on tv fool and Bob's your uncle. Watch local news etc on the antenna and stream all the shows, sports and movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Looking to cut the cord. Can anyone tell me exactly what to buy to get the 6 OTA channels to 3, 4 or even 5 of the TV's in my house? Do I need an antenna for each TV or can I get one and a splitter? What antenna and splitter do you recommend? Is there a store that can help me? Thanks!
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #1107
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
Looking to cut the cord so I bought the Roku Ultra, however the quality is crap. Green and white horizontal lines across the screen and just general poor streaming quality. I tried three different HDMI cables, including the "premium" one it came with, and both a wired and wireless internet connection and nothing changed.

I do have an older TV -- it's a Panasonic Plasma from around 2007 -- but it has HDMI support and runs streaming apps through my cable box with absolutely no issue.

Is it just a bum unit or should I try a fire Stick instead? Anyone have luck with Roku and an older TV? I bought the ultra because of the Headphone jack mainly -- don't need the 4K streaming yet.

I initially ran a ROKU through my older Plasma as well, with no issue. I dont think Firestick would solve the issue, must be a bum ROKU.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 11:15 PM   #1108
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have Prime video and Netflix. Black Friday deals have Hulu basic (ad supported) for $2/month for 1 year.
Is this a worthwhile add?
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:53 PM   #1109
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I initially ran a ROKU through my older Plasma as well, with no issue. I dont think Firestick would solve the issue, must be a bum ROKU.
We figured between black Friday prices and age of our tv, to just buy a new smart TV with apps already on it. We'll send back the Roku, but still cut the cord. $285 (USD) for a 4K 55 inch smart TV which is basically what my Comcast bill is per month to save some cash is well worth it.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:35 AM   #1110
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
We figured between black Friday prices and age of our tv, to just buy a new smart TV with apps already on it. We'll send back the Roku, but still cut the cord. $285 (USD) for a 4K 55 inch smart TV which is basically what my Comcast bill is per month to save some cash is well worth it.
The Bestbuy Hisense is a deal that can't be beat, at $250 for a 65" 4k android TV. I have no idea how good this model is, but at that price...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense...?skuId=6430857
Old 11-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #1111
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
We have Prime video and Netflix. Black Friday deals have Hulu basic (ad supported) for $2/month for 1 year.
Is this a worthwhile add?
Hulu is awesome, better than Prime and Netflix combined IMO, for TV shows at least. However I tried the ad supported version and could not deal with the ads, I'd rather pay a bit extra per month to watch shows seemlessly like the other two
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #1112
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Wait, Hulu? I thought that was just American. I had it over a VPN a year ago but it caught on that I was Canadian since I could only pay for it with a Canadian card. I would love to get it back
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #1113
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
The Bestbuy Hisense is a deal that can't be beat, at $250 for a 65" 4k android TV. I have no idea how good this model is, but at that price...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense...?skuId=6430857
The perks of being in America. It is 650 bucks up here
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #1114
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Wait, Hulu? I thought that was just American. I had it over a VPN a year ago but it caught on that I was Canadian since I could only pay for it with a Canadian card. I would love to get it back
I buy Hulu gift cards from here

https://www.pcgamesupply.com/Hulu-Gift-Card/

And then use TorGuard VPN with a static IP addon, which means there's no way for Hulu or any other streaming provider to tell that you're using a VPN so they can't block it
Old 11-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #1115
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Hulu is awesome, better than Prime and Netflix combined IMO, for TV shows at least. However I tried the ad supported version and could not deal with the ads, I'd rather pay a bit extra per month to watch shows seemlessly like the other two
Thanks
I'm going to try it at $1.99 / month ad supported, and upgrade as needed. Appreciate the feedback!
Old 12-07-2020, 08:44 AM   #1116
iggyntangs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hi all,

I have a Firestick and looking for the best options to watch my Hulu and HBO Max. What VPN and/or SmartDNS options are people using for their Firestick to be able to watch?
iggyntangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #1117
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyntangs View Post
Hi all,

I have a Firestick and looking for the best options to watch my Hulu and HBO Max. What VPN and/or SmartDNS options are people using for their Firestick to be able to watch?
Hulu won't work over a smart DNS provider, nor will it work over most VPNs as they block those IP addresses. If you want guaranteed access you'll need a VPN with a dedicated IP option, that way streaming providers just see a single connection from that IP which won't set off any alerts. I use TorGuard and haven't had any issues with Hulu for the past year now
Old 12-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #1118
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone have ESPN+ using a VPN? There's a really good Disney bundle available that includes Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu (ad supported) for $12.99 USD. Just wondering if all three are available through a VPN. Thanks.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #1119
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
Anyone have ESPN+ using a VPN? There's a really good Disney bundle available that includes Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu (ad supported) for $12.99 USD. Just wondering if all three are available through a VPN. Thanks.
See above
Old 12-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #1120
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just as a head's up I tried SurfShark as it had a wicked ~$2/month USD fee and 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Apparently expires in 3 hours: https://surfshark.com/deals?coupon=s...xoC0FIQAvD_BwE

Works for Hulu, Netflix and HBO Max. Depending on if you're using the browser or app you need to tweak some settings but works perfectly for me. I had issues with casting but if you're willing to use a hotspot or your router supports a router based VPN you can also get that to work.

Just in case anyone is looking for a well priced VPN (they also have great non-US VPN servers for Netflix).
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote