Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #381
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
With a pregnant wife at the time, I specifically remember the end of summer in 2018 was hot and SMOKEY... A/C was a god-send... I can't believe you didn't find it useful that summer, especially with with all the smoke.
Probably because both my wife and I were working in offices with AC during the day and were out and about in the evening.

Right now being stuck at home most of the time I definitely feel the need of AC...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #382
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll admit I didn't use mine a whole lot last year because I was working in the office. But this year with everyone being home, it has been fantastic.

The best part of having AC is being comfortable sleeping at night.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #383
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

heat extraction fan = poor mans AC unit

too bad it only is effective once outside temps are at least 5C cooler than inside... which usually means SWAC-attack until around 9pm or later before it works. Also setting the timer so it automatically shuts off 2 or 4 hours later is awesome.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #384
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
If the air mover doesn't work, I might bite the bullet for a portable AC unit for $350-500. Wife is giving birth in a few weeks so I'd rather she have a nicer recovery and I don't think she'll be able to go up and down the stairs to the basement.

The rest of the family can swelter.
I bought a Arctic King 8000 BTU portable unit from Rona 4 years ago. Excellent unit, no problems at all. Rona has them for about $350. It will cool down a bedroom in about an hour and keep it at whatever temp you want. It has a remote control with timer functions. Excellent feature, especially for your expectant wife. I’ll usually set it to run for an hour or two when I go to bed, but you could just set it at 21 and let it run.

Downside is you have hook up the hot air exhaust into a window, mine was a pain. Ended up getting a piece of lexan and making a semi-permanent frame.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie28 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #385
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #386
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

This looks cool, but they're like double or triple other portable ACs

Old 07-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #387
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/12000...oner/p/3812982

I hope this link works I mess that up sometimes. When we first moved into The Okanagan we bought this unit 7 years ago and it did a great job keeping a 1200 sq ft main level in a bungalow nice and cool around 20-21 in the room it was in when set for 20. We would have the timer set to start up at 2:00 and when we got home around 6:00 it was usually 22-24 down the hall in the bedrooms and 20 in the open kitchen, dining, great room where we had it set up.

This one was rated for 1000 ft being one open space, it worked so well that a fan placed at the hall opening from the great room was able to push enough air down the hallway and it kept the bedrooms decent enough until we could open windows. Without it the back of the house was up to 28 some days before we got it. Would strongly recommend this unit, after central air was in we kept it for our shop/barn as it works as a dehumidifier and heater as well. Sold it this year for $100 and the news owners love it!

Strongly recommend! Good investment and never had an issue, it worked hard as we had no trees shading the home at all from the sun.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #388
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright hvac industry, you win. Take my money
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #389
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #390
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has probably been discussed before but I likely missed it but what sort of maintenance should an AC unit have done? We've been in our house with AC for about 7 years and I haven't done any maintenance. Is there something that I should be doing regularly to make sure I don't run into any issues? I cover it in the fall and turn off the breaker but that is it. Educate me folks.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #391
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
This has probably been discussed before but I likely missed it but what sort of maintenance should an AC unit have done? We've been in our house with AC for about 7 years and I haven't done any maintenance. Is there something that I should be doing regularly to make sure I don't run into any issues? I cover it in the fall and turn off the breaker but that is it. Educate me folks.
Regular duct cleaning and filter replacement (with proper filter type). I was also told to try to never go below 22C, but many others seemed to be going lower than that without issues to their units.

Not sure if the 22C thing was to maintain Goodman's 10 year warranty or best practices though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:27 PM   #392
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually spray mine out with a pressure washer every 2 months and at the start/end of the season. Thing fills up quick when the trees are fluffing, so needs to be kept clear to keep airflow up.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #393
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's too late to do AC this year, so I'm going to get a really powerful air mover and see if that works to drop the temps before bed by pushing the hot air out. I'm also thinking of doing a high efficiency furnace (1980s original) at the same time as AC to hopefully save a lot on labour.
I did both this year through Home Depot and was able to use their killer financing but still have a great local contractor do the work. Super happy with everything and glad I paid to get the better and quieter AC unit too.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #394
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Regular duct cleaning and filter replacement (with proper filter type). I was also told to try to never go below 22C, but many others seemed to be going lower than that without issues to their units.

Not sure if the 22C thing was to maintain Goodman's 10 year warranty or best practices though.
I have mine lower than that whenever it’s getting used and have had no issues. I wasn’t told to keep it above that when they installed it either. There is apparently a safety switch that doesn’t let it operate if the ambient temperature is 15° or lower though
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #395
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most reputable installers usually have a yearly maintenance plan for furnace/AC that you can buy into (~$150/year) which is required to maintain the manufacturer's warranty anyway.

The 22c thing seems kind of weird in a world where Smart Thermostats with multiple sensors in different rooms exist, where it's averaging out depending on your "comfort" settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #396
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I got mine installed I was told to keep the temperature between 21-24 (not sure why)…..so when its 30+ outside I usually set it to 22 or 23 but otherwise I'd have it set at 21
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #397
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't waste $$$ on maintenance plans. Just keep it clean from the outside and pop the cover off and remove any leaves or debris.

https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/ma...unning-smoothl

Depending on the location of the AC some of these steps are not needed. Straightening fins is almost never needed, unless you physically damage them (how?)
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #398
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
I have mine lower than that whenever it’s getting used and have had no issues. I wasn’t told to keep it above that when they installed it either. There is apparently a safety switch that doesn’t let it operate if the ambient temperature is 15° or lower though
Yep, I know about the outdoor ambient temperature one. The reasoning why I understood not to set the temperature on the AC too low was that the unit could work too hard, ice over and then I guess damage components that way?

Although it's 2020 now. I assume they've built in safety switches for that type of thing into units for probably a decade plus to prevent this type of damage.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:17 PM   #399
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had mine since 08 and it's never needed maintenance. Make sure you have a cover for the winter and a good spray at the beginning and end of the year will suffice.

Also, not sure about the 22 and over thing but since we've had ours, it's at a constant 21.5 degree's when we are home (23 when sleeping)
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #400
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
I've had mine since 08 and it's never needed maintenance. Make sure you have a cover for the winter and a good spray at the beginning and end of the year will suffice.
Good spray? You mean just clean it with a garden hose at the start and the end of the season?

And I second that you must put the cover on during the fall and winter months...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote