Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2017, 11:44 PM   #61
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

I think this show is really just a continuation of the spirit of next generation with modern humour. As next gen and the original series all had humour centred around the human condition this just extends that to imperfect humans.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #62
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought this was a really good episode with a lot more seriousness then we're used too.

We still had good clips, but the physical humor that we'd seen in the last two episodes didn't happen after the goo boner.

The one thing that was always prevalent in Star Trek is there's a certain arrogance to humanity, that when we reach for the Stars we might not be as open as we believe because we base everything on our own set of human morals and everyone needs to change to our norm.

One of the greatest Star Trek lines was in Undiscovered Country. When Azetbur the daughter of the Klingon leader slaps down questions about human rights.

"If you could only hear yourself, human rights, that very term is racist"

In Star Trek the crews basically ran around trying to fix cultures to be more human.

In this one they tried to do that but failed, in the end a society wasn't changed and reformed to a more human friendly ideal. Instead Ed did what a good Captain should do, he let that society decide, he didn't try to rescue the baby, or storm into the operating room.

I loved the idea that Ed decided that he needed to check himself with the three legged article.

I wonder if Discovery is pissed, they made a big release and deal about one of their crew being gay, and Orville really beat it to the punch, and I think has done a very good job of it.

I liked some of the humor as well, it was well placed, with the "Best Navigator in the fleet and he's still an idiot".

Also the scene in the ready room with Bortas and Ed gave you a sense that Ed is slowly becoming more comfortable in the command chair, and outside of one joke, the running gag of the divorce wasn't used like a hammer this week.

Overall well done.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #63
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I freakin love this show.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #64
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how soon critics will start eating the big plates of #### they laid out because MacFarlane is attached to the series.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #65
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow, I can't believe the love for this show on this board. I gave it two episodes and that's enough. It's like the worst parts of TNG season 1 times 10.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #66
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Wow, I can't believe the love for this show on this board. I gave it two episodes and that's enough. It's like the worst parts of TNG season 1 times 10.
It appears you may not be alone because ratings fell quite a bit on the Thursday move and the internet is not being kind to the way the show handled trans issues. I think the criticism is so bad as to be humorous but regardless of whether the criticism is justified, I feel like it isn't gonna help the show any. Maybe the Thursday drop will only be temporary though, we'll see I guess.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #67
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The show is getting better every episode. You get the Star Trek feel with some good humour mixed in.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #68
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It appears you may not be alone because ratings fell quite a bit on the Thursday move and the internet is not being kind to the way the show handled trans issues. I think the criticism is so bad as to be humorous but regardless of whether the criticism is justified, I feel like it isn't gonna help the show any. Maybe the Thursday drop will only be temporary though, we'll see I guess.
Their time really couldn't be worse, with a new real Star Trek show starting tomorrow. If it's any good they could lose a lot of the Trekkies that are bothering to give t a go.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #69
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

MacFarlane must have some kind of long-term exclusivity deal with FOX. I can't see why he would still work with them otherwise. The target audience for a show like just does not watch network TV anymore. I'm streaming it. I don't want to pay out the butt for cable. So yeah, the show isn't technically supported by myself and many of my peers. If it was on Netflix or some iTunes on a per episode basis (is it?) I would probably watch the crap out of it.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #70
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rating was always going to drop from a post football time period

The ratings were better than what was on the same timeslot last season I saw, they didn't put it in a cushy period so I can't imagine they are expecting it to dominate the ratings

The only criticism I saw of last week's episode was a few critics who focused only on the negative and the feedback in the comments were critical of the writing

No one is going to handle such a nuanced issue from every single angle in 42 minutes, so I understand bringing up issues, but the positives should have been highlighted as well

I saw someone else say it but if MacFarlane was played by Nathan Fillion the critics would be showering this with praise
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 10:55 PM   #71
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I loved the third episode. It made me think, and it also made me question my own biases and assumptions. No space battles, no shooting, just a dance battle that I really wanted to see, and an episode that that holds up to some of the best of Trek.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #72
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have watched the first two episodes and will definitely give the third a look. Pretty meh so far, for me. Premise of episode 2 was good but acting has been cringe worthy at times.

I have no problems with MacFarlane but the center of any show requires some charisma to gain a broad following and that's not really his thing. The TV landscape is just so crowded with quality that its hard to stand out.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #73
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
If it was on Netflix or some iTunes on a per episode basis (is it?) I would probably watch the crap out of it.
It is available OTA on CityTV here in Calgary, and also on the CityTV app for mobile devices. No authentication required.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #74
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Watched the 3 episodes, it's not bad. Obviously super low budget, but I can give that a pass. Wasn't sure I'd like the humour aspect, but it's corny fun. I'll keep watching.

Still doesn't hold a match to Firefly though.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
V
Old 09-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #75
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think overall it's entertaining, but the acting is pretty subpar across the board IMO. When MacFarlane is one of the best performers, there's a problem.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #76
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Watched the 3 episodes, it's not bad. Obviously super low budget, but I can give that a pass. Wasn't sure I'd like the humour aspect, but it's corny fun. I'll keep watching.

Still doesn't hold a match to Firefly though.
The budget is so low that the production quality is barely passable for network TV.

Sometimes it reminds me of a more polished fan film on youtube. Which in some ways I guess it is basically a Seth Macfarlane Star Trek fan film.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #77
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm pretty most of the furniture and decorations came from Ikea
Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #78
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I'm pretty most of the furniture and decorations came from Ikea
I had to laugh at the tables in "ten-forward". Low production values, but I'm a sucker for anything similar to Star Trek.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #79
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually kind of thought it was apropos.

You can tell Macfarlane as the show-runner and a fan puts his budget into the CGI and score but I think the 'cheap as dirt' interior is a bit tongue-in-cheek.

As we've all lamented previously, the ships were way too nice. It was ridiculous, they were like these space-borne luxury yachts where everyone gets these lavish suites.

I thought the cheapness brought a little reality to it.

"This is not a good ship. Thats why you losers are on it."

I think the things that struck me most were:

- No door/elevator to the bridge. Its just there and you walk in.
- Spiral staircase. What the hell?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #80
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You look at most naval vessels and the furnishing is almost an afterthought.

I think federal prisoners would be writing their congressmen if they were forced to eat in a Naval vessel mess.

I actually didn't think about the spiral staircase, it seems so out of place, I have to wonder if there's an inside joke that I'm not getting.

It would be awesome to see one of the cruisers and its like the Enterprise D TNG with luxurious cabins and soft carpeted bridges and something like the 10 Forward hotel bar on the enterprise and have the crew of the Orville in shock when they see it.

Then have them go onboard of a small exploration vessel and have it be incredibly crappy with turned over cargo crates as chairs and tables made up of empty cases of beer.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote