Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #1601
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
But can you see the morbid humour in it?
Not really. It's low to kick a man when he is down even one as ridiculous as Peterson.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #1602
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But can you see the morbid humour in it?
You seem like the type of dude who would enjoy the odd cancer joke here and there.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #1603
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Not really. It's low to kick a man when he is down even one as ridiculous as Peterson.
I think it's okay to find humour in the absurdity of his character arc (the benzos and beef part, not the cancer). Directly laughing at Peterson's misfortune is crass.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #1604
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I predicted earlier in this thread that Peterson would have a breakdown at some point. The guy is wound way too tight.

The disturbing thing about this is the role of his daughter, who sounds like a Paltrow-Class flake. Taking extreme diet and alternative healthcare advice from your 26 year social influencer daughter is not likely to end well. But I suppose Peterson isn't the first parent to have a blind spot when it comes to his children.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #1605
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Public figure, fair comment. You can feel sorry for him personally while simultaneously delighting in the irony of a self-help guru who can't even help himself.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:22 PM   #1606
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I predicted earlier in this thread that Peterson would have a breakdown at some point. The guy is wound way too tight.

The disturbing thing about this is the role of his daughter, who sounds like a Paltrow-Class flake. Taking extreme diet and alternative healthcare advice from your 26 year social influencer daughter is not likely to end well. But I suppose Peterson isn't the first parent to have a blind spot when it comes to his children.
That’s pretty damn bad.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #1607
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

nm
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #1608
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's Ben Shapiro engaging in some zionist, Jew-on-Jew anti-semitism.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1231988271560962048
Old 02-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #1609
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I don't agree with this statement at all. Sanders, although he defends freedom of religion, has himself publicly rejected all organized religion, including Judaism.

Shapiro is using his usual dramatic delivery, but his point is actually sound. Sanders, although ethnically Jewish, is not an adherent to Judaism. If membership in organized religion is important to you, then you shouldn't vote for Sanders.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #1610
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1231988271560962048
Does he realize he’s making Bernie more appealing?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #1611
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Does he realize he’s making Bernie more appealing?
I was going to say this as well. Perhaps I should rephrase my previous comment.

If you actually break down what Shapiro is saying, he's essentially saying that although Bernie comes from a Jewish background, he has no particular ties to anything especially Jewish, politically or religiously.

I guess I would say that I disagree with the way Shapiro is saying it (which is typical as Shapiro is beyond abrasive and constantly spewing thinly veiled outdated conservative views), but agree with the statement. Shapiro is inadvertently helping Sanders out in many ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 10:21 AM   #1612
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I was going to say this as well. Perhaps I should rephrase my previous comment.

If you actually break down what Shapiro is saying, he's essentially saying that although Bernie comes from a Jewish background, he has no particular ties to anything especially Jewish, politically or religiously.

I guess I would say that I disagree with the way Shapiro is saying it (which is typical as Shapiro is beyond abrasive and constantly spewing thinly veiled outdated conservative views), but agree with the statement. Shapiro is inadvertently helping Sanders out in many ways.
Thinly veiled? Shapiro is a conservative. There is nothing veiled about his views, he is up front about them. As for outdated, according to whom? People that disagree with him? Ben's views are no more outdated than any other mainstream politician, on either side of the political spectrum.

Regarding his take on Bernie, I don't see what is so objectionable. He's simply making the distinction between being religiously Jewish versus being ethnically Jewish. Given that Sanders is an atheist, Shapiro is not wrong here.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #1613
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sanders' lack of religious faith is a vulnerability that the Republicans will happily exploit. 40 per cent of Americans say they would not vote for an atheist. It's a mistake to think they're all Republicans.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #1614
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't agree with this statement at all. Sanders, although he defends freedom of religion, has himself publicly rejected all organized religion, including Judaism.

Shapiro is using his usual dramatic delivery, but his point is actually sound. Sanders, although ethnically Jewish, is not an adherent to Judaism. If membership in organized religion is important to you, then you shouldn't vote for Sanders.
It's still an example of Ben anointing himself as the arbiter of who is a good Jew and who isn't. He's done this on numerous occasions, even going so far as to argue that any Jew who votes for the Democrats is a bad Jew. He's an extremist with some pretty vile opinions.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #1615
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You seem like the type of dude who would enjoy the odd cancer joke here and there.

True, but you won't catch me patting myself on the back for how compassionate I am at the same time.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #1616
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True, but you won't catch me patting myself on the back for how compassionate I am at the same time.
Compassion and dark humour are not mutually exclusive.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #1617
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Compassion and dark humour are not mutually exclusive.
Oh rube.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #1618
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Thinly veiled? Shapiro is a conservative. There is nothing veiled about his views, he is up front about them. As for outdated, according to whom? People that disagree with him? Ben's views are no more outdated than any other mainstream politician, on either side of the political spectrum.

Regarding his take on Bernie, I don't see what is so objectionable. He's simply making the distinction between being religiously Jewish versus being ethnically Jewish. Given that Sanders is an atheist, Shapiro is not wrong here.
Shapiro consistently tries to pawn off his views as logical and even progressive. They're not and are largely just old school conservatism. Many of his views on things like abortion, gay marriage, transgender rights, etc.. .are outdated. Those issues have been settled.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #1619
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Shapiro consistently tries to pawn off his views as logical and even progressive. They're not and are largely just old school conservatism.
You'll have to direct me to where he has ever tried to pass off his views as progressive, but as for logical, so what? Don't you feel that your views are logical? Doesn't everyone?

Quote:
Many of his views on things like abortion, gay marriage, transgender rights, etc.. .are outdated. Those issues have been settled.
Settled how?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #1620
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
It's still an example of Ben anointing himself as the arbiter of who is a good Jew and who isn't. He's done this on numerous occasions, even going so far as to argue that any Jew who votes for the Democrats is a bad Jew. He's an extremist with some pretty vile opinions.
I actually think he's correct on this one. Sanders himself says that he's not a practicing Jew. Shapiro acknowledges Sanders' Jewish background, but merely states that he is not a practicing Jew of any kind.

The real question is, who is Shapiro trying to appeal to. Other Jews? Unlikely, most will vote Democrat, and it's a small demographic to begin with. Although I guess every swing voter counts. He's likely trying to target evangelicals, which is why he goes on about AIPAC. The evangelicals believe that before the rapture the Jews will gather in Israel and be some kind of first line of defence in a holy war. Shapiro is just trying to hammer home that there's no reason for any of them to vote for him.