Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #121
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like just yesterday that people were saying Bouwmeester and O'Reilly didn't have the mental toughness or determination to be champions.

It was probably the day before yesterday.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #122
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Of course it is. It’s no more difficult to correct than foot speed.
Nope. One of these things requires courage and the other doesn't. People don't change (their character).
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #123
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It seems like just yesterday that people were saying Bouwmeester and O'Reilly didn't have the mental toughness or determination to be champions.

Obviously they were working on their foot speed in between games.
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #124
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Nope. One of these things requires courage and the other doesn't. People don't change (their character).
Lots of people do.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #125
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Because not every player contributes the same amount to a team, I thought I'd look at the contributions from the different types of players...

FLAMES 2018-19 Regular Season
  • Drafted: 12 players // 756 GP | 176 G | 270 A | 446 P
  • Undrafted: 3 players // 158 GP | 28 G | 65 A | 93 P
  • Signed: 6 players // 280 GP | 45 G | 69 A | 114 P
  • Traded: 8 players // 282 GP | 40 G | 98 A | 138 P

BLUES 2018-19 Regular Season
  • Drafted: 13 players // 717 GP | 112 G | 186 A | 298 P
  • Signed: 6 players // 231 GP | 47 G | 69 A | 116 P
  • Traded: 11 players // 528 GP | 85 G | 161 A | 246 P

These numbers don't include goalies, so you could add another 3 assists under the Traded column for the Flames for Smith. Rittich didn't have any points, nor did any of the Blues' goalies.

For the goalies, the Flames split their season almost evenly between an Undrafted player and a Traded player. The Blues mostly played their 2 drafted goalies the entire season, but free agent signing, Chad Johnson did play 491 total minutes in 10 games played.

----------

The Flames' 289 total goals were the second-most league-wide. 70.6% of the Flames' goals this season were scored by a "homegrown" player. 15.6% were scored by a player who signed as a veteran free agent. 13.8% were scored by a player acquired in a trade.

The Blues' 244 total goals were the 15th-most league-wide. 45.9% of the Blues' goals this season were scored by a "homegrown" player. 19.3% were scored by a player who signed as a veteran free agent. 34.8% were scored by a player acquired in a trade.
Would you do this for Boston, would it also be possible to compare playoff rates, even with Calgary's small.sample size, between the 3 teams?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #126
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
It literally happens all the time. Especially when we’re talking about young people who grow and mature and change constantly.

Courage is a learned trait. Some things are rooted in biology, sure, but even those things can be changed or overcome.

It requires just as much mental effort to improve your physical self as it does to improve your mental self.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #127
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Would you do this for Boston, would it also be possible to compare playoff rates, even with Calgary's small.sample size, between the 3 teams?
Didn't like the answer so you want to change the target?
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #128
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Travis is a good player that I hope the Flames keep. I'm wondering from which camp the extension talk is originating from. The trade rumours floated out there are perhaps a negotiation tactic?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 11:21 PM   #129
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If dreger has any real info its coming from an agent.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #130
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think the almost seemingly lackadaisical mentality of some of the Flames players during the playoffs is magnified ten fold when watching the cup finals.

The Flames would have lost to both those teams in a series, not due to skill, but due to those intangibles that everyone hates to talk about. It's fine to have a more "relaxed" player like J.Bo on your team, but you gotta surround him with warrior mentality players like Petro, Bortuzzo, Edmundson and Parayko if you want any success. Imagine going up against a team where almost all of their forwards and defensemen have the same mentality as Bennett going into a playoff game. That's what both St. Louis and Boston have and what the Flames are missing.

Seeing Monahan, Jankowski, Backlund, Frolik, Neal, Tkachuk, Hanifin and Brodie do flybys during the playoff's was probably the most infuriating thing to see as a fan. It's not even the fact that we lost, it's how we lost. Everyone talks about how we have a bunch of guys over 6'3, but how many were laying out people the way 5'9 Krug did? Zero.
Most of the players I noted have been around for a number of years, is it realistic to have them all come back with a completely different intensity level for next season? I would bet against that.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #131
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I do wish Monahan was a jerk that made his presence known. That knew what to do with a 6'3" frame.

It would increase his value substantially.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #132
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I do wish Monahan was a jerk that made his presence known. That knew what to do with a 6'3" frame.

It would increase his value substantially.
I just wish someone told him to play like it was lacrosse, at least in the playoffs.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #133
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This happens every year a team win the cup. The same people saying o'Reilly isn't good enough to be a top center on a contending team or you cant win a cup with Jay bo in your top 3 on d stop saying about those players but continue to say it about teams that have never won

I wonder how many said tarasenko is their best forward but you cant win with a Russian winger as your best forward

Or you cant win without elite goalies yet the blues won with a 26 year old career ahler to this point in his career

Cant win with a top 3 center group of schenn o'Reilly and bozak

Cant win with big slow teams only speed teams win in new nhl.

Teams with pat maroon playing a big role cant win either

Teams that over spend at free agency cant win

Teams that trade their first for an overpaid player cant win

Happens every year. I wonder when someone says you cant win without a minimum number of canadians on our team

Last edited by Macho0978; 06-14-2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added line
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #134
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Matt Duchene was a big one this season. People swearing off him completely because failure seemed to follow him. Was great for the BJs in the playoffs.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #135
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Duchene is a good player.

Just don't have him as one of your locker room leaders. If you already have good character guys that are filling that role then there's very little harm bringing a guy like him in. That stuff might've been overblown to begin with anyway, as it tends to be.

I mean you just had a collection of pretty good scum duking it out for the cup.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #136
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
This happens every year a team win the cup. The same people saying o'Reilly isn't good enough to be a top center on a contending team or you cant win a cup with Jay bo in your top 3 on d stop saying about those players but continue to say it about teams that have never won

I wonder how many said tarasenko is their best forward but you cant win with a Russian winger as your best forward

Or you cant win without elite goalies yet the blues won with a 26 year old career ahler to this point in his career

Cant win with a top 3 center group of schenn o'Reilly and bozak

Cant win with big slow teams only speed teams win in new nhl.

Teams with pat maroon playing a big role cant win either

Teams that over spend at free agency cant win

Teams that trade their first for an overpaid player cant win

Happens every year. I wonder when someone says you cant win without a minimum number of canadians on our team
If you can make the playoffs, you can win in the playoffs.

Now you can convince that teams with certain attributes may have a better chance of winning, but you'll never convince me in a random cap world that certain teams that make the playoffs have zero chance of winning the Cup.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #137
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Matt Duchene was a big one this season. People swearing off him completely because failure seemed to follow him. Was great for the BJs in the playoffs.
Small sample size though as he faded in the 2nd round and wasn't much of a factor. I feel we should be careful to christen players as playoff warriors for solid performance in the first round of the playoffs. The real challenge is to maintain it for four consecutive rounds. I hold firm belief that teams should always step back and take a look at the picture when it comes to evaluating players as the playoffs is a small sample size and highly situational. Lots of players have flashed in the playoffs only to never reach those levels again. Consistency in the regular season IMO is more important. You can't ignore that Gaudreau has not fared well in his last two playoff appearances but it can take years of playoff failure for teams before things click as we have seen in successive Stanley Cup playoffs with the Caps and Blues finally winning the cup after years of playoff failure.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote