Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess for Tkachuk's contract result
8 @ 7M 10 1.61%
8 @ 8M 41 6.59%
8 @ 9M 21 3.38%
8 @ 10M 8 1.29%
7 @ 7M 21 3.38%
7 @ 8M 61 9.81%
7 @ 9M 19 3.05%
7 @ 10M 3 0.48%
6 @ 6M 4 0.64%
6 @ 7M 48 7.72%
6 @ 8M 126 20.26%
6 @ 9M 27 4.34%
5 @ 6M 3 0.48%
5 @ 7M 56 9.00%
5 @ 8M 66 10.61%
5 @ 9M 10 1.61%
4 @ 5M 1 0.16%
4 @ 6M 4 0.64%
4 @ 7M 19 3.05%
3 @ 4M 2 0.32%
3 @ 5M 4 0.64%
3 @ 6M 46 7.40%
2 @ 4M 3 0.48%
2 @ 5M 15 2.41%
1 @ 4M 1 0.16%
1 @ 5M 3 0.48%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #141
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Let's not forget as well that Tkachuk is only 21, he will be getting paid for what he potentially can be going forward as much as what he has accomplished so far.

In his age group (U22) only McDavid, Marner and Aho put up more points than Tkachuk, and Tkachuk played in a more limited role offensively than those 3.

While yes he has only put up big point totals once, at 21 years old there is every indication that he can continue to do that as well as improve as goes into his prime offensive years.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #142
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think he is looking at the Matthews deal for term. I'm going with 6.5-7M 5 years
Old 05-28-2019, 08:41 PM   #143
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I think he is looking at the Matthews deal for term. I'm going with 6.5-7M 5 years
Would 5 years take him straight to free agency? He would have 7 years in the league. If so, why would the Flames do that? Good chance that he's off to the good 'ole USA at that point.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:46 PM   #144
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Would 5 years take him straight to free agency? He would have 7 years in the league. If so, why would the Flames do that? Good chance that he's off to the good 'ole USA at that point.
Because it aligns with Monahan/Gaudreau contracts. It gives us more cap space in a window of those 3 players prime years (as well as signed players such as: Gio, Backlund, Neal, Hamonic(likely)). You can build around that and I don’t see it being detrimental to the future of the organization. You just plan accordingly ahead of time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #145
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Because it aligns with Monahan/Gaudreau contracts. It gives us more cap space in a window of those 3 players prime years (as well as signed players such as: Gio, Backlund, Neal, Hamonic(likely)). You can build around that and I don’t see it being detrimental to the future of the organization. You just plan accordingly ahead of time.
If that's the case then sign him for 3 or 4 so you have a chance at re-signing him as a restricted free agent. Johnny only has 3 years left so that's our window.
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #146
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
If that's the case then sign him for 3 or 4 so you have a chance at re-signing him as a restricted free agent. Johnny only has 3 years left so that's our window.
I’d take that for sure. So 5 years looks even better then as it’s Gaudreau protection once he’s gone. It’s a no brainer in my opinion (because I would suspect Tkachuk would be more willing to sign a 5yr than a 3yr).
Old 05-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #147
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
He sits. Which I think is inevitable.

Again, show me a comparable that gets a RFA like Tkachuk the same percentage of the cap that Johnny got. If he’s demanding more than that, it isn’t much different than someone asking for $500k over market price on their house because it has more character.

Huge difference.

You ask for more than your house is worth, the buyer moves on to the next one.

Calgary can’t move on to a comparable player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #148
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Huge difference.

You ask for more than your house is worth, the buyer moves on to the next one.

Calgary can’t move on to a comparable player.

And he doesn’t get to just freely go to another team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:36 PM   #149
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is not a exactly free market scenario so the comparisons just don’t work. Both sides have options though, and seems to me in the NHL that the RFA players are doing pretty well for themselves lately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:59 PM   #150
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember this: Gaudreau could not be offer-sheeted. Treliving had a number he wanted to pay, and could just wait Gaudreau out. He can't do that with Tkachuk, for many reasons.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 PM   #151
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Remember this: Gaudreau could not be offer-sheeted. Treliving had a number he wanted to pay, and could just wait Gaudreau out. He can't do that with Tkachuk, for many reasons.
Nobody is going to offer him more than he's worth AND give up draft picks, when there are so many quality UFA forwards that will be available this summer for the cost of the contract alone (would you pay him 8.5M AND give up your next four 1st round picks?). If he is offer sheeted, I'm sure the Flames will be happy to match if the offer is in the region of 7-8M for 7 years, or to accept the four 1sts if the offer is 9M+ as some have suggested.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 11:26 PM   #152
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ Still, it's an important point by Freeway. With Tkachuk, the very threat of an offer sheet is a legitimate concern, even if it may seem unrealistic. With Gaudreau, that was completely off the table from the get-go.

Tkachuk's camp has considerable leverage, far more than Gaudreau did.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:59 AM   #153
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Nobody is going to offer him more than he's worth AND give up draft picks, when there are so many quality UFA forwards that will be available this summer for the cost of the contract alone (would you pay him 8.5M AND give up your next four 1st round picks?). If he is offer sheeted, I'm sure the Flames will be happy to match if the offer is in the region of 7-8M for 7 years, or to accept the four 1sts if the offer is 9M+ as some have suggested.

Calgary getting 4 likely late 1st round picks and losing a great young player will hurt their SC chances during their likely window.

It sounds great in theory, but Calgary does understand they can’t simply sit back and wait him out. They have a window, and the failure to get him signed shortens that window.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #154
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

So offer sheets are rare already, and in this case why can’t we recognize they are pretty darn unlikely?

The offer sheeting team would basically need to have 4 first round picks, for starters

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...angers-gorton/

Avs, Rangers, Kings, Ducks, Sabres each have 2. They would need to do some manoeuvring involving picks for this year and next before even being able to offer sheet.

Then they also would need to have the cap space to add that player.

Now you’d have to be nuts to think the Rangers or Avs throw away the number 2 or 4 overall picks as well as 3 other first rounders for frickin’ Tkachuk. He is good but give your head a shake if you think he is that good. Really.

He is also not even the best RFA out there. Marner, Point, and Raantanen are better and Aho
is at least comparable.

Yeah, I don’t even know why people are talking as though an offer sheet for Tkachuk is a realistic factor here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #155
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So if Tkachuk gets offer sheeted for only 5 year term does Calgary only have the option to match and accept that term or he walks and we get a small compensation?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:30 AM   #156
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
What are the ‘many reasons’?

If you are going to pretend an offer sheet is a realistic possibility, go ahead and identify a candidate team (has or could make moves to have compensatory pucks, has the cap space, and the need) and then a justification (ex why would the Rangers if they had space give up the second overall, plus 3 more first rounders for Tkachuk?)

I am in no way convinced that an offer sheet is at all a realistic threat or leverage point for Tkachuk.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:46 AM   #157
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
So if Tkachuk gets offer sheeted for only 5 year term does Calgary only have the option to match and accept that term or he walks and we get a small compensation?
If he signs that offer sheet Calgary can only match the terms.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:24 AM   #158
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
So offer sheets are rare already, and in this case why can’t we recognize they are pretty darn unlikely?

The offer sheeting team would basically need to have 4 first round picks, for starters

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...angers-gorton/

Avs, Rangers, Kings, Ducks, Sabres each have 2. They would need to do some manoeuvring involving picks for this year and next before even being able to offer sheet.

Then they also would need to have the cap space to add that player.

Now you’d have to be nuts to think the Rangers or Avs throw away the number 2 or 4 overall picks as well as 3 other first rounders for frickin’ Tkachuk. He is good but give your head a shake if you think he is that good. Really.

He is also not even the best RFA out there. Marner, Point, and Raantanen are better and Aho
is at least comparable.

Yeah, I don’t even know why people are talking as though an offer sheet for Tkachuk is a realistic factor here
https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator

Every team in the league currently has the draft picks available to offer sheet in the upper range.

This year's picks don't count as you can't offer sheet anyone till after the draft anyways.

The picks have to be your own and they have to be in the next 4 consecutive years.
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 07:25 AM   #159
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator

Every team in the league currently has the draft picks available to offer sheet in the upper range.

This year's picks don't count as you can't offer sheet anyone till after the draft anyways.

The picks have to be your own and they have to be in the next 4 consecutive years.
No team in the league is giving away 4 years worth of unknown 1st round picks for Tkachuk. It just isn’t happening. I still firmly believe it wouldn’t happen for any player not on McDavids level.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #160
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

7.75 x 5 years is my educated guess
Closed Thread