Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #241
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
personally I'd rather not. Small, not super speedy, and I still have a hard time judging USHL guys.
Johnny was drafted out of the USHL as a point per game player. You could argue that league has only gotta more competitive since and the NHL game has changed even more to benefit these types of players.

Flames need to get bigger but that doesn’t mean they need to do that in the first round. The first round should be all about getting the most skilled and high ceiling player. You draft your Big grinding wingers in later rounds.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #242
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I wonder if the Flames look at selecting Tobias Björnfot? You can never have too many young defensemen, right?

The Flames will likely lose a defensemen in the expansion draft, plus free agency looming for a few vets. Giordano isn't getting any younger either.

There's not a lot of sure-fire D prospects in the system at present. While you don't draft for immediate NHL need, there's nothing wrong with stocking the system positionally.

Björnfot looks to be a pretty decent pick, an all-round defenseman who can bang around bodies. With the Flames organization's increased emphasis on the European scouting, I'm sure they've got a good read on him.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #243
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Johnny was drafted out of the USHL as a point per game player. You could argue that league has only gotta more competitive since and the NHL game has changed even more to benefit these types of players.

Flames need to get bigger but that doesn’t mean they need to do that in the first round. The first round should be all about getting the most skilled and high ceiling player. You draft your Big grinding wingers in later rounds.

Size is still a factor that has to be taken into consideration, I am fine with small players as long as they have elite hockey sense, elite skill and elite skating. I am not sure that Brink is elite in any of those categories. He is has very good hockey sense and skill, but his skating is average at best. At 5'8" I would feel more comfortable if Brink had top end skating. I think his lack of skating ability has strong chance to limit his ability to produce offense at the NHL level.

I am really starting to cool on Brink. There are quite a few players I would take ahead of him, I would rank him as more of a 2nd round prospect.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #244
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I wonder if the Flames look at selecting Tobias Björnfot? You can never have too many young defensemen, right?

The Flames will likely lose a defensemen in the expansion draft, plus free agency looming for a few vets. Giordano isn't getting any younger either.

There's not a lot of sure-fire D prospects in the system at present. While you don't draft for immediate NHL need, there's nothing wrong with stocking the system positionally.

Björnfot looks to be a pretty decent pick, an all-round defenseman who can bang around bodies. With the Flames organization's increased emphasis on the European scouting, I'm sure they've got a good read on him.
its a balancing act... BT will pick based on who is available, but my concern is looking at the roster.

the defense has 3 D under 22 who are in the NHL with Hanifin, Andersson and Valimaki and a 4th on the verge in Ksylington.

when i look at the forwards, i don't see a lot... you have Dube? not sure who else there is outside of that...

my preference is choosing a forward, but it depends on who is available at that pick
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:30 AM   #245
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
its a balancing act... BT will pick based on who is available, but my concern is looking at the roster.

the defense has 3 D under 22 who are in the NHL with Hanifin, Andersson and Valimaki and a 4th on the verge in Ksylington.

when i look at the forwards, i don't see a lot... you have Dube? not sure who else there is outside of that...

my preference is choosing a forward, but it depends on who is available at that pick

You've gotta give huge props to these scouts who have been dialled in with the Euro defensemen (Valimaki, Anderson, Kylington). I hope they pick a forward with the 26th overall too though, as we desperately need some more guys making a push for spots during our window to win. If we end up picking a D though, it'd have to be a guy who fell way further than they expected.

Every draft is different but almost every year there's a big run on Defensemen towards the middle/later half of the 1st round. I think there's at LEAST one forward pushed down to 26 who's ranked higher.

I'm hoping for one of Tomasino, Hoglander or Poulin with pick 26
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 04:10 AM   #246
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoglander would be amazing for the name alone! So many "there could be only one" jokes to be made.

I really want them to get a forward who's at least average sized or bigger but I'd be 100% fine with taking Spencer Knight if he was available. I'd even be good if they moved up to get him, I think he's going to be a really good goalie.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #247
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
personally I'd rather not. Small, not super speedy, and I still have a hard time judging USHL guys.
He's not an elite skater but he's not slow or below average and he's an elite shooter with a great shot. I will be surprised if he's still available when the Flames pick.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #248
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's not an elite skater but he's not slow or below average and he's an elite shooter with a great shot. I will be surprised if he's still available when the Flames pick.
He’s also an excellent passer.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:38 AM   #249
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

Oh, I know. I am just saying that I personally still have a tough time with USHL player evaluations. It seems like the team that the player is on is a big difference maker. Big producers on some teams do better than others.

But mostly my criticism is around speed. Slower, smaller, but skilled is the way the Flames drafted for quite a while. I want the big fast skilled guy
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #250
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I've gone over the Flames pick a million times since their season ended and have made a top 15 list of players they can hope to fall to them or reach down into the bucket for. 1 being most preferred and so on.

1. Vasily Podkolzin ( He may drop like a rock because he has no interest in coming over any time soon but if he is there, 26 is a good risk/reward pick for a clear top tier talent, wont make it that far down but hey, anything is possible).
2. Raphael Lavoie. Rhs C/RW. Speed, size and a killer instinct. Wont make it but if he does run to the podium.
3. Spencer Knight. There's a top tier goalie there.
4. Yegor Afanaseyev. Probably the most available at the Flames pick. Big, fast and a frickin bomb of a shot no matter how he shoots it. Big ol sniper.
5. Phil Tomasino. Rh Center, fast, average size.
6. Arthur Kaliev. Wont be there, like Oliver Wahlstrom
7. Simon Holmstrom
8. Ilya Nikolaiev. Super sleeper.
9. Adam Beckman. I think hes just hitting his stride a tad later than the rest but could be a massive coup if he keeps improving.
10. Brett Leason. 20. Big, bomb of a shot. Could be in the NHL out of the box. Sketchy skating the only thing holding him back
11. Bobby Brink. Smaller, but a pure shooter. Skating again the issue.
12. Defenseman Mikko Kokkonen. Finnish version of Kylington IMO.
13. Pavel Dorofeyev. Speedy center. Playmaker. Good IQ.
14. Harrison Blaisdell. Tenacious center. Speedy. Not sure on offensive upside.
15. Ville Heinola. Probably right in the scouting staffs wheel house. Great hockey IQ.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #251
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
1. Vasily Podkolzin ( He may drop like a rock because he has no interest in coming over any time soon but if he is there, 26 is a good risk/reward pick for a clear top tier talent, wont make it that far down but hey, anything is possible).
2. Raphael Lavoie. Rhs C/RW. Speed, size and a killer instinct. Wont make it but if he does run to the podium.
4. Yegor Afanaseyev. Probably the most available at the Flames pick. Big, fast and a frickin bomb of a shot no matter how he shoots it. Big ol sniper.
7. Simon Holmstrom
9. Adam Beckman. I think hes just hitting his stride a tad later than the rest but could be a massive coup if he keeps improving.
10. Brett Leason. 20. Big, bomb of a shot. Could be in the NHL out of the box. Sketchy skating the only thing holding him back
15. Ville Heinola. Probably right in the scouting staffs wheel house. Great hockey IQ.
The good news is a lot of these guys bolded are all ranked as either LATE firsts, or 2nd/3rds so I think you'll be pretty happy either way.

I'm all in on Kaliev if he's there.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #252
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
The good news is a lot of these guys bolded are all ranked as either LATE firsts, or 2nd/3rds so I think you'll be pretty happy either way.

I'm all in on Kaliev if he's there.
That's what I like about this draft. There's a surplus of good young talent. I really do think it's a deep draft in terms of what you can get all the way down to 50.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #253
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's what I like about this draft. There's a surplus of good young talent. I really do think it's a deep draft in terms of what you can get all the way down to 50.
Hopefully when Tre (likely) deals away Frolik and Brodie, he can get a couple 2nd rounders included in the return. Would be nice to add 2-3 high end prospects into the system.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #254
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would pass on Kaliyev, he has good skill and a good shot, but he isn't a great skater and there are serious questions about his compete level and work ethic.

Compete level and work ethic need to be one of the top characteristics we look for in prospects.
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #255
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
I would pass on Kaliyev, he has good skill and a good shot, but he isn't a great skater and there are serious questions about his compete level and work ethic.

Compete level and work ethic need to be one of the top characteristics we look for in prospects.
When you get into the mid 20s you are going to have players with warts. Over simplifying but the guys with high ceilings, tend to have the type of risks that you highlight above. If you pick a safer guy that doesn't have clear deficiencies or concerns, you probably have a much lower ceiling.
I'm generally a fan of drafting largely on the basis of upside - prioritizing hockey sense, skating and scoring ability over character, intangibles or size.
Which is all to say if Kaliyev didnt' have those concerns - he'd be a top 10 or 15 pick. Might still be.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #256
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
When you get into the mid 20s you are going to have players with warts. Over simplifying but the guys with high ceilings, tend to have the type of risks that you highlight above. If you pick a safer guy that doesn't have clear deficiencies or concerns, you probably have a much lower ceiling.
I'm generally a fan of drafting largely on the basis of upside - prioritizing hockey sense, skating and scoring ability over character, intangibles or size.
Which is all to say if Kaliyev didnt' have those concerns - he'd be a top 10 or 15 pick. Might still be.
Don't get me wrong I still want to see players with skill, hockey sense and skating ability drafted by this team, but I think compete, work ethic and drive belong at the same level of importance. I will take a slightly less skilled player if his compete level and work ethic is superior to another player.

For example I would take Hoglander, Tomasino, Lavoie, Beecher, and Rees ahead of Kaliyev because I think the skill sets of those players are similar but their compete level, work ethic and drive far exceed that of Kaliyev.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #257
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I think I'd like to see D Moritz Seider picked by Calgary. I've seen him ranked all over the place. It sounds like he scored very well on the v02 max testing, is a good skater and he has a huge wingspan. Plus, they say he has tons of personality and is a real character guy.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #258
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I think I'd like to see D Moritz Seider picked by Calgary. I've seen him ranked all over the place. It sounds like he scored very well on the v02 max testing, is a good skater and he has a huge wingspan. Plus, they say he has tons of personality and is a real character guy.
Hes likely one of the D men that makes a big jump up in the draft. There's a not a ton of D men so they may surprise a few going higher. Is there really another D man between Broberg (after Byram) and Seider that stands out particularly? Maybe Soderstrom and Harley. Heck, could see guys like Heinola and Bjornfot jump up too. D men are as premium as centers.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-08-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:57 PM   #259
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think I've gone over the Flames pick a million times since their season ended and have made a top 15 list of players they can hope to fall to them or reach down into the bucket for. 1 being most preferred and so on.

7. Simon Holmstrom
seeing all those guys that are in the 20s-50s makes me really, really hope the Flames are able to trade for a 2nd round pick or two...

they are lottery tickets; they all have warts that prevent them from being top 15, but i'd bet there's a few of them that will turn out to be great picks 2-3 years down the road.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #260
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

At 26, don't really care what position they pick, just pick the best player available. The later picks, suit our needs.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote