Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #1041
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a great way for the team to ensure viability as all revenue from CanChamp is basically icing on the cake.

I have a few questions:

Is the Canadian Championship ever televised? Would Cavalry get some revenue from TV were they to make an appearance?

Same question for OneSoccer. Do teams earn any revenue from views coming off a stream?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #1042
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
I haven’t received a single email from the team. I signed up after the first home game, So I don’t know if they officially have me in the system as a STH or not...maybe they just put the tickets into my account and charged me STH cost?

I have a card and received the STH package with gift, however...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They should have as a holder then? I feel like behind the scenes, the ticketing has been a challenge for them. I moved my seats and today when I got the link it gave me the option for either pair. And the move took eons longer than it should’ve. I wasn’t super mad or anything, and just chalk it up to growing pains, but I do feel that they should treat STHs a little better.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #1043
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
They should have as a holder then? I feel like behind the scenes, the ticketing has been a challenge for them. I moved my seats and today when I got the link it gave me the option for either pair. And the move took eons longer than it should’ve. I wasn’t super mad or anything, and just chalk it up to growing pains, but I do feel that they should treat STHs a little better.

They were able to accommodate me with my tickets for yesterday’s game after missing the “Right if first refusal” window, so I’m not anticipating an issue...but maybe one day I will become a real STH like you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #1044
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
This is a great way for the team to ensure viability as all revenue from CanChamp is basically icing on the cake.

I have a few questions:

Is the Canadian Championship ever televised? Would Cavalry get some revenue from TV were they to make an appearance?

Same question for OneSoccer. Do teams earn any revenue from views coming off a stream?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It has been streamed in the past but now that OneSoccer owns the rights I think all games will be on their platform. But OneSoccer can choose to have the games on other platforms, such as CBC.

I doubt they will make money off this. My understanding is that MLS clubs get $0 from TSN for their deal; their only benefit is the exposure they receive. The money comes from the subscription fees. There are no ads.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #1045
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My STH seats in 109 are $5 over STH cost for normal games. $32.05 each. What sections are getting the “discounts”? (Reg price is $26.69)

Last edited by mac_82; 06-12-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #1046
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in 107. Same $52.50
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #1047
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
My STH seats in 109 are $5 over STH cost for normal games. $32.05 each. What sections are getting the “discounts”? (Reg price is $26.69)
Yeah, looks like 109 is excluded from discounts. After fees it's $35.30, so $8.62 more than the STH price.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can make this one - I'm supposed to arrive in Calgary just after 6 PM that night so the logistics of picking up our bags, taking an Uber home to get the car and then driving to Spruce Meadows for a 7:30 game probably isn't going to work.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #1048
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good news! Edmonton was eliminated from the Canadian championship last night.

The CPL teams that moved on:
Halifax
York
Calgary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #1049
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Good news! Edmonton was eliminated from the Canadian championship last night.

The CPL teams that moved on:
Halifax
York
Calgary
So, none of the teams who were given byes to the second round made it to the third?

Good.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #1050
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
So, none of the teams who were given byes to the second round made it to the third?

Good.
Also, the same three teams that were given a shot at the Concacaf League (and a backdoor into the Concacaf Champions League). The byes are one thing, and the better teams could prevail through that (and they did). But restricting the Concacaf League qualifying to just those same three was unnecessary and blatant favouritism. Picking three darling clubs based on the dates that paperwork was signed is a joke.

To be honest, I like the narrative of Forge being the league's so-called marquee franchise and Cavalry crapping on it for them. The league needs rivalries and supporters who are annoyed about stuff. Makes for engaged supporters.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #1051
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

How are the CPL champions identified, with this bizarre split of spring and summer seasons?
I imagine it’s total points? Maybe lowest sum of position rankings?

I ask due to CONCACAF Champions league qualifying for 2020.
Anyway, the split season is stupid, if the CCL qualifying is based upon total points.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #1052
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
How are the CPL champions identified, with this bizarre split of spring and summer seasons?
I imagine it’s total points? Maybe lowest sum of position rankings?

I ask due to CONCACAF Champions league qualifying for 2020.
Anyway, the split season is stupid, if the CCL qualifying is based upon total points.
The winners of the spring and fall seasons will have a playoff. They haven't announced the format yet (could be one game, or two, or even best of three...).

The only exception is if one team wins both seasons, then second overall gets into the playoff.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #1053
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The winners of the spring and fall seasons will have a playoff. They haven't announced the format yet (could be one game, or two, or even best of three...).

The only exception is if one team wins both seasons, then second overall gets into the playoff.
Shouldn’t be a playoff if a team wins both seasons, imho.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #1054
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How else is runner-up x2 Forge FC going to get a chance to steal the overall title on a dubious call in the 87th minute of a winner takes all final?

Mostly joking. I hope.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #1055
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Also, the same three teams that were given a shot at the Concacaf League (and a backdoor into the Concacaf Champions League). The byes are one thing, and the better teams could prevail through that (and they did). But restricting the Concacaf League qualifying to just those same three was unnecessary and blatant favouritism. Picking three darling clubs based on the dates that paperwork was signed is a joke.

To be honest, I like the narrative of Forge being the league's so-called marquee franchise and Cavalry crapping on it for them. The league needs rivalries and supporters who are annoyed about stuff. Makes for engaged supporters.
The date the paperwork was signed is a red herring anyway. The CPL's creation was driven by the owner of the Tiger Cats and closely supported by the owner of the Blue Bombers. They flat out gave themselves every advantage in what is essentially a corrupt launch of the league.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #1056
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree completely. Just saying how it is, not how it should be. I'm sure if Cavalry wins both seasons it'll end up being a home and away with Forge. If they each won once, you can expect a single game in Hamilton..

Random other question - if the same team won the voyageurs cup and the CPL, do they play both international leagues? Or given one is a qualifier for the other, does someone else get the Canada 2 spot?

Just curious, as that is really unlikely, as it probably means a CPL team won a home and away against all 3 MLS teams and then won the league as well...
Old 06-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #1057
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like we have 80-100 people going up to Edmonton, which would be more than what Edmonton brought down.

Also the club told us that they made more revenue in beer sales during the first game than Spruce Meadows does in an entire year!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #1058
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Also the club told us that they made more revenue in beer sales during the first game than Spruce Meadows does in an entire year!
It helps that they have no controls on beer sales at all. Last game I was at, I saw one guy walk in after half time cradling eight cans.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #1059
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see the CSA moving at thier usual overly cautious pace 9 days later, opening an investigation. Likely sticking their heads in the sand hoping it would go away, or get sorted out for them, like most things that have some controversy with the CSA.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5173375
Old 06-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #1060
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Sounds like we have 80-100 people going up to Edmonton, which would be more than what Edmonton brought down.

Is there a plan to go to a bar first? or is that too many to manage?
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge