Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #1641
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
All that money 15-19 year olds pump into our economy, lost.

Thanks NDP!
I think you would be surprised at just how much value 15-19 year olds actually have on the economy in helping small business run.

In most cases, a 15-19 year old does not need to make the same as an adult.
They could have rolled something out where adults saw the hike in minimum wage but a kid in high school should be able to be hired for $10 an hour and perks such as free golf if they work at a golf course, etc.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #1642
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
Came to post the same slide. The numbers don't lie.

Anyone who believes the NDP are doing a good job is living in a fantasy world.
Nope they don't. I'm glad that chart is recording numbers from Q2 2015 when the NDP took over... oh wait.. it's just showing from 2014 when the oil downturn hit.

Interprovincial migration is rising again, a positive number in 2018. GDP is higher now than when the NDP took over, $326B in Jan 2015 compared to $327 in Jan 2017 with another 1.5-2% growth expected for 2018.

Exports have risen from $7.5B in May 2015 to over $11B in May 2018.

Yes the participation rate is down but that's what happens when an entire industry is decimated by external factors. External investment is down, but we can't export what we produce now, why would anyone invest to produce more?

Numbers don't lie, but they can sure be turned to skew to a certain perspective if you don't look closely enough at them.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #1643
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No it shows that poorly run businesses can't underpay youth to half-ass their storefront instead of employing adults that won't work for $8 an hour.
NDP logic 101: Better to be unemployed than 'underpaid'!

It's clear the drastic increase in the minimum wage has hurt part-time and youth workers the hardest.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #1644
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should all thank our benevolent job-creating overlords for their meager offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #1645
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theres some first-rate 'whataboutism' from the usual suspects.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #1646
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still maintain that any business that keeps itself profitable by hinging on cheap labor is not well run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #1647
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I would say both sides are guilty of whataboutism, consistently and thoroughly. Both Notley and Kenney do it on the daily too. We can expect more of that indefinitely in the future.

What is more problematic in my opinion is showing statistics - for any scenario - that doesn't include accommodating the punishing market correction on this province in the last five years, as well as the general national average as well.

It's hard to digest any statistics about this province without it's relation to these two factors. Just what I think though.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #1648
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

The lack of a pipeline costs us tens of millions a day. We had to curtail our industry to respond to the crisis. There's been no growth projects, no multi-year multi-billion dollar projects that employ thousands of people that would all make $100,000 or more. Because of this, housing and commercial property values have dropped to the tune of billions of dollars.

And the best you can come up with is that the employment rate of age 15-19 has dropped by about 4-5% in the NDP years.

If we're looking at the nickels and dimes, I can easily point to any single thing that the NDP has done that counteracts this 4-5% youth employment drop. For example, the NDP relaxed rules around microbreweries, and there's been an explosion of new microbreweries with their (higher than minimum wage) jobs, investment and production.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #1649
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still maintain that any business that keeps itself profitable by hinging on cheap labor is not well run.
And I still maintain that you still have no idea what you're talking about.

If a person has no skills or anything to offer other than their time and labour and then you make that too expensive for the market conditions...

Yeah...market conditions, you know, that thing that businesses have to operate within....sorry I'm getting too technical again.

Remember that thing that you use to defend all of the NDPs failings?

"The NDP didnt suck, nobody could have done better, how would *insert whataboutism* have done better...."

Yeah, those.

If you price the only thing some people have to offer out of the available market you are not helping those people.

But hey, thats just one among many in a lengthy checklist of NDP idiocy. I'm sure the Rhino Party or the Canadian Communists couldnt have done any better.

What about 'could they have done worse?'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #1650
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
According to the House of Commons guide on member allowances, Kenney was acting in accordance with policy on this:

Obviously as a cabinet minister at that time, Kenney would have been spending most of his time in Ottawa or on the road, but members are required to maintain either a primary or secondary residence in or near their constituency:

And, according to the criteria specified, Kenney's Alberta residence would be categorized as primary per the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum_PI View Post
The handbook for MPs expenses and allowances has quite a loose definition of what qualifies as a primary residence. Briefly reading through it, I really don't see how Kenney has broken any rules here. You might not like it, but they way things are written its pretty clear he's allowed the ~$10k in secondary residence expenses.

If I was Morrow I would tread carefully, he's getting into defamation and libel territory.

Here's a good article from Global, has a link to the MP Handbook...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...a-calgary/amp/
If you guys want to justify Kenney’s actions by arguing that he technically didn’t do anything against the rules have at it. For me though, a middle aged man claiming a basement in a seniors retirement complex(which he may not have been allowed to reside in in the first place) as his primary residence so that he could get tax payer funded allowances for his “secondary” residence in Ottawa seems like a clear abuse of the system. The fact that Kenney has made a career out of being critical of wasteful government spending just adds a little irony into the mix.

But let’s forget about the taxpayers for a moment and focus on the real vitcims of Kenney’s shenanigans, the pizza delivery guys:

Last edited by iggy_oi; 01-22-2019 at 10:00 AM.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #1651
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
If you guys want to justify Kenney’s actions by arguing that he technically didn’t do anything against the rules have at it. For me though, a middle aged man claiming a basement in a seniors retirement complex(which he may not have been allowed to reside in in the first place) as his primary residence so that he could get tax payer funded allowances for his “secondary” residence in Ottawa seems like a clear abuse of the system. The fact that Kenney has made a career out of being critical of wasteful government spending just adds a little irony into the mix.

But let’s forget about the taxpayers for a moment and focus on the real vitcims of Kenney’s shenanigans, the pizza delivery guys:

Not only that, but to have his rent almost match exactly what is allowed to be expensed is highly fishy. And the convenience of it going to a family member - so eventually he will receive it back as tax-free inheritence.

What else is weird is didn't he buy this property? And he was paying rent? The optics of this arrangement don't look good for him.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #1652
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Then again, not taking responsibility is pretty much the Albertan M.O.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #1653
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Honestly, I get the joke, but its dated and inaccurate.

Really the old joke about the 'Alberta Prayer' about getting another boom and promising not to waste it? It came true.

Its not the people in their late 50s and 60s sweating this one out, its the current workforce.

The people that dont have their educations paid off, their houses paid for, that have young kids and young families or businesses and responsibilities.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #1654
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its not the people in their late 50s and 60s sweating this one out, its the current workforce.
Really? Who do you think is complaining most about the taxes? It's certainly not people in my age bracket (late 30s, early 40s).
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #1655
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Really? Who do you think is complaining most about the taxes? It's certainly not people in my age bracket (late 30s, early 40s).
*Shrug*

I have many friends in this age bracket and they all hate the NDP.

Sarcasm?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #1656
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
117 active foreclosure listings in Calgary right now with 190 foreclosure sales dating back 6 months or 29 in the last 30 days.

There is pretty much a new foreclosure hitting the market each day in Calgary / Area.
How does that compare to the historical average, recent downturns, and in particular the real bad one back in the 80's?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #1657
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Alberta natural gas producers looking at their own curtailment

https://calgaryherald.com/business/e...t-work-for-gas

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #1658
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
What would you have preferred that he do in instead?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #1659
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand why politicians keep getting caught in this stuff. If you are at all unsure, take it to the ethics commissioner or whatever, tell them what your plan is, and get it cleared. Then if it comes up in public, you have it in writing that it was approved. And if it isn't fine, don't do it. You get paid enough anyway.

Why is this always so hard for politicians? Clearly this looks like an arrangement that may be in the grey zone. Why risk it? Bonkers.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #1660
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
What would you have preferred that he do in instead?

Would have expected him not to game the system for personal financial gain.

Does it not seem suspicious at all that the rent he was paying his mother was nearly the amount he could get reimbursed?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote