Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #41
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

We have a german made Bosch. Have had it for 4 years now. Its amazingly quiet, usually i need to see the red dot to know its on. Also, this thing cleans everything. Not one problem since buying it.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:31 PM   #42
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can vouch that Miele is pretty awesome and Frigidaire sucks.

The Frigidaire that came with the new build I moved into and clogged after 7 or 8 months. I couldn't even get Frigidaire to come out after filling in their online forms. Luckily, I was able to figure out how to fix it myself for free without dismantling anything. Essentially, because I wasn't pre-rinsing and running the dishwasher every few days once I had a full load, there was grease that was accumulating in some trap at the bottom. I had to pour water in there and wait for the grease to rise and then scoop it out. My Frigidaire experienced a blockage due to liquid grease, not even solidified grease. I now pre-rinse, pour hot water into the bottom of my dishwasher now every few months before I start a cycle (so that grease hopefully cannot accumulate) and run the dishwasher even if it isn't a full load and it hasn't clogged. That's doable, but kinda annoying. That and the cleaning of the dishes isn't always the greatest.

My brother has a Miele and I am always jealous at how quiet it is and how clean his dishes are with seemingly no effort.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #43
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
^^ Are you telling me that a dishwasher should handle cooked-on rice? I am definitely upgrading after we do a kitchen reno.
I will purposely test it to the limits in terms of how much I can fit in 1 load or how dirty the dishes can be.

As an example, my wife can cook her satay chicken / rice dish with peanut sauce that has peanut butter. The chicken is done in a frying pan and leaves that burn type mark usually requiring a scrub, bowls have all sorts of mixes and spices hardened to the side by the time its ready to load, spoons covered in peanut butter, etc. I wont rinse a single dish. Whatever falls in the garbage when I tip the dish is as good of a "rinse" as I will do. Everything comes out spotless.

It did require some trial and error. I moved the utensil basket to the other side where you can do power pressure as they needed it more so than a plate would. Dishwasher soap also made a HUGE difference. The high end finish stuff is night and day compared to anything else I have tried.

ok, now I feel like the ultimate dishwasher nerd

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #44
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Will the Miele's do a proper job of cleaning peanut buttery knives? Our current Frigidaire is incapable of removing peanut butter or nutella.
Mine does, both crunchy and smooth)) The only thing I will give a quick rinse or scrub are utensils or pots and pans that were used for cooking rice or potatoes. I don't bother with the potato masher. I just lay it on the middle rack and it gets sparkling clean every time.

Here is a nice thing about a Miele dishwasher. If your water temperature is not hot enough, it heats it to the optimum temperature for cleaning dishes. Dishes won't get as clean in cool or cold water.

I use Cascade or Costco liquid dishwasher detergent. I prefer the liquid over the cubes. I also have a Kinetico soft water system and washing anything in soft water makes a difference. I usually use the normal pots and pans setting unless I have a very light load.

The other thing I love about a Miele dishwasher is the third rack on top for flatware. That leaves so much room in the rest of the dishwasher for pots and pans or large bowls.

My daughter has a Bosch...got a great deal at Home Depot, and really likes it. It does not have the third rack for flatware though.

Last edited by redforever; 01-08-2019 at 10:50 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:29 AM   #45
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our Kitchenaid has been great. I don't rinse a thing. The only part I dislike is the normal eco wash is about 2 hours. But you can do a quick wash where it uses more water but is done in under an hour, which is handy to have as an option. It also has a sanitizer cycle.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #46
Mazder
Draft Pick

With respect to the Miele recommendations out there, I am curious to hear which models you have. Are we talking the entry-level model (G4228U)?
Mazder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 PM   #47
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazder View Post
With respect to the Miele recommendations out there, I am curious to hear which models you have. Are we talking the entry-level model (G4228U)?
Both of mine are Incognito models. They have all the settings hidden in the inside of the door.

My one in Priddis is stainless steel. I think I paid about $1500 for it??? not sre as that was in 2006.

My one in Calgary matches the wood of my cupboards. I am not sure how much it cost as I am the second owner of this residence.

redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #48
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bosch have a problem with setting on fire. They have had over 6,000,000 recalls because of this. I had one i bought in my current house when i moved in ten years. It caught fire three times inside the JB. Worked well but scared the hell out of me.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #49
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

$2k for a dishwasher?
Haha
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #50
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
$2k for a dishwasher major home appliance that you will likely use every day for the usable life of the product?
Haha Wise investment
Fixed your silliness for you.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #51
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
$2k for a dishwasher?
Haha
We're talking in Canadian Pesos. It's like $1.49 for you.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #52
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
We have a german made Bosch. Have had it for 4 years now. Its amazingly quiet, usually i need to see the red dot to know its on. Also, this thing cleans everything. Not one problem since buying it.
This is our Bosch experience as well. No need to pre-wash, quiet, and works without error.

Our Bosch is laid out for thin (corel) plates, and for the right dish shape, you can cram it full. If you have thicker (stone-ware) or really concave plates or bowls, they may not fit well as the dish slots are narrow and specifically-curved.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #53
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazder View Post
The one we have is a “G51055 stainless steel with cutlery tray”. I have no idea if that is an entry level Miele or a ‘high end’ one, or somewhere in between. That’s also a 5 or almost 6 year old model now.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #54
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I bought a Blomberg 4.5years ago, German made, no issues. Was about $700 I think.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #55
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Frigidaire came with our house and it sucks, would not recommend. We’ll be replacing it in the next year or two.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #56
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My parents had a miele worked amazingly and the inside being fully stainless steel always looked brand new.

We bought one and it was very pricey but I never take any dishes out that are still dirty. We also bought around sept and they had a promotion if you bought it had it delivered and installed through miele they gave a 10 year warranty.
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:38 PM   #57
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got a new stainless steel Kitchen Aid. Has the third rack which is nice. Ultra quiet and does a really nice job. Love the look of it as well.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #58
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Just got a new stainless steel Kitchen Aid. Has the third rack which is nice. Ultra quiet and does a really nice job. Love the look of it as well.
We just did the same. We narrowed it down to the KitchenAid KDPE234GPS or the Bosch SHSM63W55N. Went with the KitchenAid because we were replacing an old Bosch that we weren't super happy with. I'm sure either would have been a vast improvement over our old one but we are very satisfied and would recommend it.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
We just did the same. We narrowed it down to the KitchenAid KDPE234GPS or the Bosch SHSM63W55N. Went with the KitchenAid because we were replacing an old Bosch that we weren't super happy with. I'm sure either would have been a vast improvement over our old one but we are very satisfied and would recommend it.
I've got an older version of that, I think. Same controls(thoguh mine are on the front) and inside looks the same. Anyway, it's been great. Had it about 5 years, and never pre-wash anything. Nice and quite as well. Only complaint is the 2.25 hour cycle time, though you can do a speed wash in an hour. Crazy the price difference though, I paid $750 for mine in white.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #60
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

2.25 hour cycle time. Wow.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote