Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #141
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everybody loves a good comeback story

NSFW!
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:37 PM   #142
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jack Eichel skated in practice wearing a full-contact jersey for the first time since joining the team on Monday.
https://www.tsn.ca/vegas-golden-knig...zzin-1.1756112

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 04:41 PM   #143
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

So he must be fairly close. What does the Vegas Cap situation look like now? Will they be making some trades shortly?
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:42 PM   #144
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

On January 10th when he started non-contact practice with the team, they said he was still 2 months away from playing, so they still have another month to figure out how to cheat the system.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:51 PM   #145
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
So he must be fairly close. What does the Vegas Cap situation look like now? Will they be making some trades shortly?
With Martinez and Bischoff on LTIR they would need to clear $3M before being able to activate Eichel.

But would also need to then free up ~$5.5M more to be able to activate Martinez.

So in total probably need to clear about $8.5M before the end of the season if nobody else goes on LTIR.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:59 PM   #146
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t think they will clear anywhere near that much. Not even close… they will find some guys on the team who are willing to sit out, put them on LTIR and activate eichel. People speculate that they might move smith but I don’t even think they’ll do that.

I could even see them blatantly asking everyone on the team if any of them have any “nagging injuries”. They’ll say they need some guys to be team players so that they don’t have to dismantle the team before playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #147
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I don’t think they will clear anywhere near that much. Not even close… they will find some guys on the team who are willing to sit out, put them on LTIR and activate eichel. People speculate that they might move smith but I don’t even think they’ll do that.

I could even see them blatantly asking everyone on the team if any of them have any “nagging injuries”. They’ll say they need some guys to be team players so that they don’t have to dismantle the team before playoffs.

Totally, Vegas isn't losing anyone. They will have no problem finding players that are banged up and willing to rest going into the playoffs if it means being able to go in with a stacked roster. It won't be lying either. We always hear about players going into the playoffs injured that could have justifiably been on LTIR for 30 days if the team had the luxury of doing that.

Imagine how much of a dick you would feel like if you insisted on being in the line-up at 75%, forcing the team to lose a good player, and possibly costing the rest of your friends a chance at the Stanley Cup. Even if everyone is 100% healthy (not likely), I would take one for the team in order to not lose anyone and I am sure many players would, especially ones with nothing to prove on an individual level.

From what I can tell, the NHL doesn't police the LTIR that hard to say that a player should not be on it. If a team doctor says they need to sit out to heal an injury, then that's it.

They really need to make it so that at least the on-ice roster for playoff games needs to be cap compliant.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:20 PM   #148
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

50/50 he is on the IR buy April 1st
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:23 PM   #149
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think they will clear anywhere near that much. Not even close… they will find some guys on the team who are willing to sit out, put them on LTIR and activate eichel.
How much are they going to bribe the league's medical staff to approve the LTIR? And why will the other 31 teams just sit there and let the league do that?
Old 02-07-2022, 05:25 PM   #150
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not a fan of the Legend of SB thread but this one takes the cake for sure for worst thread on the FOI forum.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 10:21 PM   #151
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
How much are they going to bribe the league's medical staff to approve the LTIR? And why will the other 31 teams just sit there and let the league do that?

Won’t have to bribe them at all.

Player: “My neck has been hurting.”

Doctor: “Did you strain it or twist it in a game?”

Player: “Yeah. It’s been bothering me for a while. Last time this happened it took a couple months to heal up completely.”

Doctor: “Ok. We’ll check you week-to-week to see when you feel 100%.”

Doctor stamps approval for LTIR.

If a player says he feels pain or discomfort in any way, a doctor will likely approve of rest and recovery every single time. What’s he going to do? Say you’re lying, there’s nothing on the X-rays, and send the player back out there to play a super physical sport? No way. They would always lean on the side of caution.

As far as the other 31 teams… what could they do? What could/would the league do?

They could have video footage of Vegas management asking all the players at once if any of them have any nagging injuries - even very small ones - and, if they do, they should step up for the team and go on LTIR so that the team can stay together. There would be zero consequences. Management could say they didn’t want to risk injuries getting worse while also trading away players to fit in eichel only to have a depleted roster come playoffs so they chose to not force players to play through “injuries”. Done. There’s likely no way to fight back against Vegas in this case. They will absolutely get away with it.

The only way you could punish/stop them is if a player openly admitted to completely lying about injuries because they were told to by management to do so. Very unlikely.

Management in the case of Vegas will be basically giving the ultimatum to everyone on the team… either find some injuries amongst yourselves or some of you will get traded/put on waivers and it could cost us the ability to have a powerhouse come playoffs. You get paid a full salary either way.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:31 PM   #152
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

^
Yeah, I am not convinced that players are lining up to sit for weeks on end on LTIR. Most of these guys want—and need—to play as much as they can.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #153
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
^
Yeah, I am not convinced that players are lining up to sit for weeks on end on LTIR. Most of these guys want—and need—to play as much as they can.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Not saying they’d be lining up to do it. I’m saying there will be players that step up to do it for the chance to keep the team together. The alternative is a valuable player being lost from the roster permanently due to a trade - diminishing the overall team and its chance at a cup this year.

I would imagine management will ask their physiotherapists and doctors if any of their players have been pushing through any injuries/discomfort - even the slightest ones. Then they’ll approach those players asking them to rest up and heal up for the good of the team and for themselves so they’re 100% for playoffs. Nobody gets traded. You get your full salary. You’re back for playoffs or even before if someone else has an injury issue. Eichel gets to play too. The team is then primed for a deep run without having to sacrifice any more players to acquire eichel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 11:14 PM   #154
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would imagine management will ask their physiotherapists and doctors if any of their players have been pushing through any injuries/discomfort - even the slightest ones. Then they’ll approach those players asking them to rest up and heal up for the good of the team and for themselves so they’re 100% for playoffs.
That doesn't work. To qualify for LTIR, the player has to be actually unfit to play, and the league is entitled to challenge any LTIR claim and have it reviewed by a neutral physician. If that physician determines that the player does not have a bona fide injury requiring him to miss at least 10 games or 24 days consecutively, the player can't go on LTIR and there is no cap relief. If the attempted circumvention is serious enough (like, say, trying to have $10 million worth of extra players on the active roster during the regular season, as some of you think Vegas can do), then the league can punish the team by a fine of up to $5 million, loss of draft picks, and even forfeiting games.

To my knowledge, no player has ever been put on phony LTIR simply so that another player could come off LTIR and be activated. I don't expect it to happen this time: 31 other teams have an interest in making sure it doesn't.

Quote:
As far as the other 31 teams… what could they do? What could/would the league do?
I've just outlined what the league could do. What the 31 teams can do is take a vote of the Board of Governors and order the league to take action.

Last edited by Jay Random; 02-07-2022 at 11:19 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 11:50 PM   #155
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
That doesn't work. To qualify for LTIR, the player has to be actually unfit to play, and the league is entitled to challenge any LTIR claim and have it reviewed by a neutral physician. If that physician determines that the player does not have a bona fide injury requiring him to miss at least 10 games or 24 days consecutively, the player can't go on LTIR and there is no cap relief. If the attempted circumvention is serious enough (like, say, trying to have $10 million worth of extra players on the active roster during the regular season, as some of you think Vegas can do), then the league can punish the team by a fine of up to $5 million, loss of draft picks, and even forfeiting games.

To my knowledge, no player has ever been put on phony LTIR simply so that another player could come off LTIR and be activated. I don't expect it to happen this time: 31 other teams have an interest in making sure it doesn't.

I've just outlined what the league could do. What the 31 teams can do is take a vote of the Board of Governors and order the league to take action.
Yeah, the Kucherov situation was different in that he was injured enough to go on LTIR.... the shady part was he just conveniently stayed on LTIR until the first game of the playoffs.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:22 AM   #156
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recall when Rhett was put on LTIR for his shoulder, he said that he was checked by NHL docs to confirm. So no, Vegas isn't getting away with a fake LTIR injury. That is part of the problem with players on LTIR that return in season, it will be a cap issue if he returns. If the doctors say a couple months then it looks like Vegas has until the trade deadline to sort things out. That is if he doesn't have any setbacks.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:26 AM   #157
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kucherov also came back before the typical time frame for the surgery he had. So it was a bit more convenient rather then something sinister.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 08:40 AM   #158
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I recall when Rhett was put on LTIR for his shoulder, he said that he was checked by NHL docs to confirm. So no, Vegas isn't getting away with a fake LTIR injury. That is part of the problem with players on LTIR that return in season, it will be a cap issue if he returns. If the doctors say a couple months then it looks like Vegas has until the trade deadline to sort things out. That is if he doesn't have any setbacks.

Honest question. Can anyone recall the NHL denying a team the ability to put a player on LTIR? If a player says something hurts… I don’t think a doctor will deny them rest and recovery - NHL doctor or not. Even in this example with Rhett… the doctor still approved the LTIR.

I understand that there are rules to prevent a team from exploiting the system. I just think that they are difficult to enforce. I’m much more convinced a couple players will be placed on LTIR leading up to Eichel’s return rather than Vegas trading away valuable players that they will want for the playoffs. We’ll see what happens.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:51 AM   #159
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

To go on LTIR the player has to be expected to miss a minimum of 10 games/24 days. So Vegas would need to sit a guy that’s (a) injured enough to make that claim and (b) makes enough to make a difference cap-wise. And IMO they would probably have to sit the player for at least 8 to make it look good. That’s 2-3 weeks off for a guy who’s good enough to make a dent in the cap. We’re talking a $4-5M player.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:15 AM   #160
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
With Martinez and Bischoff on LTIR they would need to clear $3M before being able to activate Eichel.

But would also need to then free up ~$5.5M more to be able to activate Martinez.

So in total probably need to clear about $8.5M before the end of the season if nobody else goes on LTIR.
Their GM has already said that "players will get injured", so I see more LTIR coming up for some of the underperforming players currently in their lineup. Everyone has nagging minor injuries throughout the season.

Last edited by Macindoc; 02-08-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Macindoc is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gamble , jackeichel , lasvegas