Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #161
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This interests me quite a bit.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #162
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

In 4 years at the next election someone on Calgarypuck will complain their taxes are ridiculous and we will find out they bought a house that used this program.

The rate offered will be interesting. Is this program amortized long enough that you could put up solar panels and the $30 per month you save pay for the tax increase
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #163
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In 4 years at the next election someone on Calgarypuck will complain their taxes are ridiculous and we will find out they bought a house that used this program.

The rate offered will be interesting. Is this program amortized long enough that you could put up solar panels and the $30 per month you save pay for the tax increase
Do you think if someone accesses this program and then sells the house, the amount will get passed on to the next owner? I kind of feel like if someone sells a house while still having an outstanding amount against this program, that they'll have to pay it out.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:45 PM   #164
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Do you think if someone accesses this program and then sells the house, the amount will get passed on to the next owner? I kind of feel like if someone sells a house while still having an outstanding amount against this program, that they'll have to pay it out.
That would be a good protection.

I was thinking it would be like paving alleys where it is registered to the property not the owner.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:56 PM   #165
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would wager that's exactly how it'll work.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:56 PM   #166
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think you'd have the option of either a) paying it out, or b) leaving it attached to the property taxes and requiring it to be disclosed to the next buyer.

Either way, the property owner is on the hook. If you choose option a), the property owner pays it out. Option b), the property owner can't sell the house unless they find a buyer willing to accept those terms.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #167
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the actual document: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....umentId=189481

Quote:
If the property owner offers their property for sale, they are required to disclose the existence
and the contents of the Clean Energy Improvement Agreement to the prospective purchasers of
the property and the realtor (if applicable). If the property is sold, the Clean Energy Improvement
Agreement must be appended to the contract of sale. If the property is transferred, the Clean
Energy Improvement Agreement must be provided to the person the property is transferred to.
The property owner and purchaser may negotiate the Clean Energy Improvement Tax be fully
paid by the current property owner before the sale of the property.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 11:37 PM   #168
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deleted

Last edited by bizaro86; 12-07-2021 at 11:41 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #169
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

interesting - I never knew about Ground Heat Source pumps before.

Concept seems to be good - has anybody had any experience with them before?
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:01 PM   #170
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
interesting - I never knew about Ground Heat Source pumps before.

Concept seems to be good - has anybody had any experience with them before?
I've always had just enough fear of geothermal or similar technologies, to think that tampering with the way the earths surface retains & transfers heat is a bad idea. Might be unfounded but I think we could learn a lesson from carbon emission and understand the externalities before we dig a billion holes.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #171
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A Calgary councillor says he wants the city to explore whether there's a safe way to allow street racing to happen on closed roadways.

Ward 10 Coun. Andre Chabot says because there are no legal options for people to race or test the performance of their vehicles in Calgary, it's resulting in more dangerous situations on residential streets.
Quote:
He's drafted a notice of motion asking the city to examine if there is a safe and controlled way to give drivers that outlet on closed streets in industrial parks, potentially even charging drivers for the privilege.

"I can't see why we couldn't do this from a legislative perspective, but how do we do it so that it's safe, that it's monitored, it's patrolled — if you will — by the police, maybe even having fire there."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...283114?cmp=rss

From the department of daft ideas....this one is a doozy. Ya, lets get into the liability of hosting street racing. Sounds brilliant.

If street racing is a problem, lets start with enforcement. Go to the province and ask for more severe fines and punishment, then start handing them out.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 08:10 AM   #172
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

From the department of daft ideas....this one is a doozy. Ya, lets get into the liability of hosting street racing. Sounds brilliant.

If street racing is a problem, lets start with enforcement. Go to the province and ask for more severe fines and punishment, then start handing them out.
Yeah, the liability is a huge issue, but it's also about the last thing Calgary needs to look at spending their meager resources for.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #173
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Race City wasn't so bad.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #174
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Under no circumstances should the City be committing police and fire to monitor street racing. That is frivolous use of taxpayer money for a niche audience, and I'm a progressive.

If this is really needed (which I don't think it is at all IMO), let the private sector sort this one out with appropriate legislation for safe/controlled street car racing, and have strict protocols for following rules.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #175
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is basically the drugs argument. It's going to happen, give it a place to happen where at least some semblance of control can occur.

It's too bad that track they're building didn't also build a strip, but that place is cost prohibitive anyway. They probably could have built it and charged a reasonable nightly fee for cars.

Last edited by nik-; 12-13-2021 at 08:49 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #176
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This is basically the drugs argument. It's going to happen, give it a place to happen where at least some semblance of control can occur.
That's fine, allow for a race track, drag strip etc. I agree closing Race City was bad for the city and these things. But the idea of legalizing street racing while creating a huge liability for the city is insane.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #177
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's fine, allow for a race track, drag strip etc. I agree closing Race City was bad for the city and these things. But the idea of legalizing street racing while creating a huge liability for the city is insane.
It's likely not that they're not allowing for it. No one wants to build one. I'm not sure why they closed Race City, clearly it wasn't a good move but it's irrelevant now. If they could contain it in one place (they won't, but it will do a lot) and just have a few dedicated resources there, I'm willing to bet on a cost basis it will be ahead when compared to trying to address calls from all over the city on summer nights. The liability issue is the crux, if the city is determined that they would be liable, it just won't happen.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:59 AM   #178
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had a track but they converted it to a storm water pond. There was still street racing back then, but it was mostly kids with slow cars showing up in the industrial areas.

Police have to manage the problem regardless, if you do nothing you still need the resources to break up where they are congregating.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #179
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why don't we just add a couple Hellfires to HAWCS.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #180
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I've always had just enough fear of geothermal or similar technologies, to think that tampering with the way the earths surface retains & transfers heat is a bad idea. Might be unfounded but I think we could learn a lesson from carbon emission and understand the externalities before we dig a billion holes.

I installed geothermal as my heating system when I built my house in Calgary. Loved it. It was about twice the price of a traditional natural gas furnace, but it also provides cooling in summer.

For ours, 2 50 foot loops were made when we dug out the foundation, filled with glycol. It worked really well. The only thing was the power draw when the pump kicked on, you could hear it and the lights dimmed slightly. Our system was 10 years old and we had no issues during that time.

The late Ken King used the same guy we did: Jason from Calgary Geothermal.

I highly recommend it. The place I’m in in Victoria has an air transfer heat pump which wouldn’t work in Calgary. When it does go below 0 here, I have to knock ice off of the condenser.